IGNORED

Spider-Man No Way Home - Xmas 2021

teddymeow

6 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Thinking last night how well executed this is and how much it mamages to do/juggle. Almost take it for granted, but 

MEGA SPOILERS

Hide contents

1) Conclude this trilogy - Peter/May/MJ/Ned, etc

2) Draw from the past of the wider MCU - Tony's legacy/Happy/Peter and Dr Strange/Cap Shield on Statue of Liberty.

3) Set up/advance the multiverse storyline from Loki and maybe What If

4) Bring in 5 villians from 5 different films that are part of two different film universes and do a great job of integrating them and giving them stuff to do (ecept maybe the Lizard).

5) Bring in the other two Spidermen and, not only execute that fantastically (I can't see anything ever beating it in terms of perfect/joyful execution of fan service in anything ever - from their introduction to their interaction with each other and then MCU Peter), but also give some sort of closure to their stories that we assumed were long finished. 

6) Catapult Norman Osborn straight near the top as one of the best(worst) villians in the whole MCU and do full on proper comic stuff evil, scary, craxy Goblin vs Spiderman (and lets say again how fantastic Dafoe was).

and on top of that we get

Daredevil being introduced into the MCU and it's Charlie Cox.

Tom Hardy only having a brief visit to the MCU, but leaving a bit of Venom to set up something in the future.

JK Simmons not being a quick end credits Easter Egg in Far From Home, but properly back as JJ.

Alfred Molina being awesome again as Doc Ock.

Probably loads more stuff.

In some ways its more impressive than Infinity War/End Game in tying so much stuff together and doing it well.

Yes, all of this. They nailed it.

I forgot one

Spoiler

In terms of just feel good joyful stuff in this, the only thing that is its equal in recent years in Ted Lasso.

And mid credits we get - Danny Rojas! Black Goo is Life.

And that Hulk line by Venom is one of the best/funniest lines in the MCU. Probably the best Mid Credits ever as well.

9 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So the slightly sniffy good-but-not-great reviews are underselling this?

Seeing it tonight. Pishing my breeks every hour on the hour with excitement.

Worry about over-hyping it and potentially it gets a boost from seeing it with a audience of fans rather than a room full of critics, but yeah.

Not that there reviews can't be all over the place - but Empire gave this the full 5 stars and I'm not sure I would have gone that far last night, but on reflection I probaby would, but would need to see it again I think.

4 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So the slightly sniffy good-but-not-great reviews are underselling this?

Seeing it tonight. Pishing my breeks every hour on the hour with excitement.

I thought it was great but I can certainly see how you could be snooty it into the good category.  One key scene didn't land with me emotionally.  The concussion for one character felt lacking to me. For those that have seen the film, er, hence spoilers:

Spoiler

Osborne.  Felt like he was jabbed and just turned off the goblin face.  Needed a bit more. 

The bits around that with Peters were great though.  "I've been stabbed before" 😄

The scene that really didn't land for me was May's death.  I don't know why?  Maybe it was a bit too easy to deconstruct how it was going to drive the plot from there out.  It's not like Holland didn't act the shit out of it.

I'd check your expectations and just enjoy it, because it's a very enjoyable film.

I feel like I need to add to my thoughts - Tom Holland is just really good in this and the other films. 

Spoiler

I feel like I should be picking a smaller scene but I'll pick a big one.  The final coffee shop scene is a deft bit of work.

The other two Peter's show why they were stars of their respective films as well, whatever issues those other movies might have.

I caveat that I don't have particular Peter/Spiderman in mind from childhood comics and cartoons.  Peter in Spiderman and his Amazing Friends wasn't anything to write home about. 

I'm interested to see how...

Spoiler
Spoiler

...Spiderman now features going forward now that Peter Parker no longer exists in people's memories, but Spiderman still does. Does everyone now have a weird foggy area in their recollections of things that happened in the past? How does Happy recall how he met May for instance? Or why they gave a load of Stark tech to him if they didn't know who he really was? How do the other heroes recall how Spiderman was brought in to help in the events of Civil War or Infintity War / Endgame?

Peter being forgotten would seem to pose it's own problems for him too, even on a basic level, e.g. how does he get a job if he never existed?

Did Strange's spell create a new multiverse strand in which all these things are now explained by other actions that Peter Parker never took part in (outside of his Spiderman guise)?

It'll be interesting to see an effective reset where Spideman is back down to surviving off his abilities alone, and not backed up by powerful Stark tech.

CAVEAT: I'm now doubting myself a little - The Daily Bugle did do another Spiderman rant after the events at the Tower of Liberty had taken place, didn't they? So Spiderman is still known, even if Peter isnt. Or am I misremembering?

22 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I'm interested to see how...

Hide contents
  Hide contents

...Spiderman now features going forward now that Peter Parker no longer exists in people's memories, but Spiderman still does. Does everyone now have a weird foggy area in their recollections of things that happened in the past? How does Happy recall how he met May for instance? Or why they gave a load of Stark tech to him if they didn't know who he really was? How do the other heroes recall how Spiderman was brought in to help in the events of Civil War or Infintity War / Endgame?

Peter being forgotten would seem to pose it's own problems for him too, even on a basic level, e.g. how does he get a job if he never existed?

Did Strange's spell create a new multiverse strand in which all these things are now explained by other actions that Peter Parker never took part in (outside of his Spiderman guise)?

It'll be interesting to see an effective reset where Spideman is back down to surviving off his abilities alone, and not backed up by powerful Stark tech.

CAVEAT: I'm now doubting myself a little - The Daily Bugle did do another Spiderman rant after the events at the Tower of Liberty had taken place, didn't they? So Spiderman is still known, even if Peter isnt. Or am I misremembering?

I think

Spoiler

Nobody knows who Peter Parker is, but everyone know who Spiderman is (just not who he is) and everything he has done in the MCU from Civil War is remembered, but nobody has ever heard of Peter Parker.

Obviously that starts to get messy when you think about the gaps in the memories of his class mates. With Happy and Avengers maybe they can't remember the face of the kid under the mask?

Yeah I'll have to say

Spoiler
Spoiler

Garfield felt like the best spiderman, Tobey the best Peter but Holland is great at both. 

I really like what they did with Garfields spiderman, especially how AS2 led him down a darker path and leading to him getting his redemption here. 

23 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I don't know why it couldn't have just been 

Hide contents

Everyone forgets that Peter Parker is Spider-man, not that everyone forgets Peter. Feels way too messy the way they did it.

But

Spoiler

That’s what they did in the first place and went wrong

Well, that was fun. Glad I avoided spoilers! :D

Spoiler

Loved the spider-bants between the three of them.

"What are the Avengers? Are you in a band?"

Were those brief shots of Thomas Haden Church and Rhys Ifans at the end just some stock footage or did they actually get them back for the film too?

39 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I don't know why it couldn't have just been 

Hide contents

Everyone forgets that Peter Parker is Spider-man, not that everyone forgets Peter. Feels way too messy the way they did it.

Totally agree with this.

Strange how the more of this Marvel stuff that comes out, the more I get into it. I wasn't bothered about the whole Avengers arc, but I'm hooked

Spoiler

the multiverse stuff.

49 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

But

Hide contents

That’s what they did in the first place and went wrong

Well that was more because 

Spoiler

Peter kept fucking around with the spell and asking Strange to change it mid way through multiple times. The original spell was meant to just be "everyone forget that Peter Parker is Spider-man", not everyone forget who Peter Parker is completely.

It's really my only bone of contention with it really. If you think about it, Peter could have just let the spell happen and then told his loved ones after anyway and they'd be back to only a select few knowing. He over thought and complicated it.

19 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Well that was more because 

Hide contents

Peter kept fucking around with the spell and asking Strange to change it mid way through multiple times. The original spell was meant to just be "everyone forget that Peter Parker is Spider-man", not everyone forget who Peter Parker is completely.

It's really my only bone of contention with it really. If you think about it, Peter could have just let the spell happen and then told his loved ones after anyway and they'd be back to only a select few knowing. He over thought and complicated it.

Spoiler

Yeah but one of the themes is every Peter Parker no matter where he's from has to go through these challenges. 

Maguire talks about his struggles and coming out the other side, Garfield is at the end of his with his redemption being the end saving MJ and Hollands are really just starting. That could be a good way to introduce the symbiote story really minus the strutting through new York with an emo haircut. 

Also confused

Spoiler

What was the point of reforming and helping them when they're return to moments when they die?. Unless I missed something, surely the spell just takes them back to the point they were misplaced and die. Why 

Also loved Andrew Garfield in this, didn't know that Spidey has so much low self esteem issue. Plus all of them doing Science made me happy inside.

I really enjoyed the movie, but it relies on the conceit that Peter is so innocent and naïve that comes off across as being stupid at times. Plus Strange is a bit of an arse, a bit of prep work before doing the spell would have been good instead of just blaming Peter. But yeah I still feel depressed for Spidey at the end, no family or support system, that sucked hard and spoiled it for me. But classic Spider-man costume was awesome at the end.

End ramblings

46 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Also confused

Hide contents

What was the point of reforming and helping them when they're return to moments when they die?. Unless I missed something, surely the spell just takes them back to the point they were misplaced and die.

Spoiler

I think the idea is that they essentially come to their senses before the moment of death. For instance, Green Goblin wouldn't have used his Glider to try and stab Spiderman if he was back to his normal self.

On 15/12/2021 at 22:19, Popo said:

Homecoming

Far From Home

Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 3

Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Ladies and gentlemen - we have a new number one. :D

This was incredible fun. A joy ride for any Marvel fan. There was even spontaneous applause during my screening. 

Spoiler

Very excited to see Shuma Gorath make an appearance during the end credits scene. As fun as Spidey was, I’m extremely hyped for the next Doctor Strange!