IGNORED

Spider-Man No Way Home - Xmas 2021

teddymeow

22 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

I’m hoping it shows up on streaming sooner rather than later.  Whilst I object in general to paying to see stuff earlier on top of the already too high sub, this may be one of the few I’d make an exception for. 

None of the Sony Spider-man movies are on Disney+ so doubt this will be either. 

55 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

None of the Sony Spider-man movies are on Disney+ so doubt this will be either. 

I'm wondering if this was part of the negotiation when all the toys got thrown out of the pram a few years ago.

I fucking loved this. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it. I really, REALLY want to see it again.

Saw this last night and it was incredible 

Spoiler

So many good moments and characters most has been mentioned already. Loved Garfield's portrayal and redemption arc, I'd love if this could lead to him reprising the role again in a future film somehow. 

One of my biggest laughs came from Happy when he called saying he'd checked his doorbell cam :lol:

Also Dr Strange 2 looks like it's gonna be amazing. Ooh, maybe they can have an amazing Spiderman in there 

5 hours ago, Mortis said:

Hide contents

I suppose the difference being that his “Peter tingle” didn’t work properly in FFH - they make several references to that. He also trusted Mysterio whereas he was aware that the room was full of people who could turn on him at any minute. 
The moving to the middle of the room was purely to allow a nice camera pan as he figures it out - I can let that slide for cinematic effect - it just feels like nit picking  if I’m honest  

Well, I did say it was nit-picking! I loved the movie, just in case that wasn't clear.

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

Saw this last night and it was incredible 

Hide contents

So many good moments and characters most has been mentioned already. Loved Garfield's portrayal and redemption arc, I'd love if this could lead to him reprising the role again in a future film somehow. 

One of my biggest laughs came from Happy when he called saying he'd checked his doorbell cam :lol:

Also Dr Strange 2 looks like it's gonna be amazing. Ooh, maybe they can have an amazing Spiderman in there 

Spoiler

Since Raimi's directing, would make sense for Spider-Maguire to be in it.

16 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Hide contents

Since Raimi's directing, would make sense for Spider-Maguire to be in it.

Spoiler

Then there’s still hope for French Maitre’d-Raimi and Theatre Usher-Raimi variants making an appearance in the MCU…

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Hide contents

Then there’s still hope for French Maitre’d-Raimi and Theatre Usher-Raimi variants making an appearance in the MCU…

and

Spoiler

Ring Announcer-Raimi too.  

While we're at it, Marvel published a Darkman comic.  Might as well roll the character into the MCU...

I just thought it was excellent.

Spoiler

Garfield was amazing.  He's so warm and lovely and vulnerable.  It was nice to see Maguire as well, he almost felt likable (which by all accounts he is not).  I really chuckled at the cool young pastor line about his appearance and discussions about his web fluid.

Some great action, emotional in all the right parts.  The Dr. Strange fight was amazing to look at.  I haven't seen the new Matrix yet, but, well, it ain't going to look that good is it?

Small gripes; the world seems to have forgotten too quickly that a certain 15 year old was part of the team that beat Thanos and saved half the universe from the blip.

On 14/12/2021 at 10:24, Festoon said:

David Poland is an interesting reviewer, despite his like for the third Matrix film.

So I've just got back from seeing this and am catching up on the thread and, well, that tweet is hilariously bad. I really, really didn't like this and to think anybody could think it's anywhere near the best of Marvel is just :blink:

As I read through the other impressions I imagine I'm going to be out of step with the general view, on the basis that I didn't much care for the first two films either. I like Holland as Spidey but haven't particularly enjoyed the stories he's been placed into. Anyway, spoilered thoughts on this:

Spoiler

I can't decide if I thought the set-up was clever or just too forced to service the plot. I guess I can buy Strange helping, but for Peter to be so reckless (along with those around him, especially Aunt May? I'm not so sure.) The whole curing of them was just far too saccharine and I didn't like the way it essentially made light of Osborne and Doc Oc's mental health issues - hey, take a happy injection and it'll all be okay! I'm most people will counter that point, but I don't think it should be handwaved away just because it's a big action blockbuster.

I also don't quite get why they were all relatively content to be locked in a prison in a different universe and largely just went along with it, but I'll overlook that.

When things went south (and boy did it take a long time for anything to happen!) the 'action' was all over in a relative flash. There was no real craft, no real teamup fighting (or solo for that matter) - Shocker just floated around and zapped a few people (without doing much) and that was about it. It felt really unsatisfying.

I didn't expect Aunt May to die but, I'll be honest, I didn't care when she did because throughout the three films she's really just been a peripheral figure - flirting with Tony in the first film, a fling with Happy in the second and a weak plot-device in this. She deserved better. My girlfriend totally got into it (she liked, rather than loved the film) and was crying at the appropriate moments. I was just wondering when it would finish.

The emotional beats of the film did nothing for me at any point, though I did like the character moment when all three Spideys were on the roof of the college. I enjoyed CGI Molina too, but like so many of the things in this film, he had no room to breathe and actually do much.

And I suppose that's my overriding feeling - this felt as overstuffed and undercooked as Spider-Man 3 to the point that I didn't even really like Holland in it either. It's got a bit of a goodbye feeling to it - I don't know how his contract discussions were going when this was being filmed, so I don't know if he was possibly not going to continue in the role - and I just think the film suffers for it with it not really knowing what to do.

I'm bitterly disappointed because I was really looking forward to this (even if the previous films didn't do it for me) but all it really did was make me want to see more of Doctor Strange - he was the best thing in this by far.

Now to read what you lot thought!

On 16/12/2021 at 11:23, FishyFish said:

I'm interested to see how...

Hide contents
  Hide contents

...Spiderman now features going forward now that Peter Parker no longer exists in people's memories, but Spiderman still does. Does everyone now have a weird foggy area in their recollections of things that happened in the past? How does Happy recall how he met May for instance? Or why they gave a load of Stark tech to him if they didn't know who he really was? How do the other heroes recall how Spiderman was brought in to help in the events of Civil War or Infintity War / Endgame?

Peter being forgotten would seem to pose it's own problems for him too, even on a basic level, e.g. how does he get a job if he never existed?

Did Strange's spell create a new multiverse strand in which all these things are now explained by other actions that Peter Parker never took part in (outside of his Spiderman guise)?

It'll be interesting to see an effective reset where Spideman is back down to surviving off his abilities alone, and not backed up by powerful Stark tech.

CAVEAT: I'm now doubting myself a little - The Daily Bugle did do another Spiderman rant after the events at the Tower of Liberty had taken place, didn't they? So Spiderman is still known, even if Peter isnt. Or am I misremembering?

Re: the bolded in your spoiler, I was trying to explain that to my girlfriend on the way home - I don't know what that really means going forward.

Also:

Spoiler

JJ did do a Spider-Man rant after the spell, yes - Spider-Man still exists for people, they just don't have any knowledge of Peter Parker.

Also, unrelated to the above, giving Ned magic powers made me roll my eyes. Was that really the only way they could make him feel relevant to the story? Not that MJ had much to do either.

I've just come back from seeing this, and I thought it was awful. It was worth seeing for the obvious reason(s), but apart from the fan service it was dire.

The only bit that stirred any kind of emotion in me was 

Spoiler

Tobey getting stabbed. I was thinking "they'd better not kill MY Spiderman!".