IGNORED

Spider-Man No Way Home - Xmas 2021

teddymeow

8 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

After all the money and adulation this has had, it didn't even get a mention in the Oscars. 

popularity is clearly not enough it would seems. 

The Oscars have a history of snubbing superhero films so no surprise.

But you'd think a movie that made so much money and arguably saved many cinemas from closure would get a little bit of love wouldn't you? 

It's almost like feel good movies and comedies are actively shunned by the awards. 

That's pretty much always been the case. The Oscars are when Hollywood in general likes to think of itself as a purveyor of meaningful art (which isn't to say it hasn't been), so comedies and 'lightweight' popular movies feel like a waste of an award to them.

4 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

But you'd think a movie that made so much money and arguably saved many cinemas from closure would get a little bit of love wouldn't you? 

It's almost like feel good movies and comedies are actively shunned by the awards. 

Horrors as well.

But also, what would you expect from an organisation that counts animation as a separate entity and for children.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Besides VFX, I’m curious to know what award categories you’d think No Way Home would be eligible for? I enjoyed the film, but despite being an exceptionally weak year it still wouldn’t stand a chance for anything else.

11 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

After all the money and adulation this has had, it didn't even get a mention in the Oscars. 

popularity is clearly not enough it would seems. 

Uh, they asked the public and they picked shit Zack Snyder films, so I guess neither the snobby critics nor the public felt it deserved a shot.

Just watched this.

Spider-Man and Doctor Strange are massive idiots.

Spoiler

I really struggle with how grave they make Strange be about everything towards the end when he was so casual about messing about with reality in the start of the film. The whole film is just an excuse to get all the Spider-Man greatest hits together, which is kind of fun and cool in itself, but it doesn't actually use that to tell a really genuinely new or interesting Spider-Man story. Losing Aunt May and doing the self sacrifice thing is if anything regressing back to the tired Spider-Man narratives we've already been served, which I thought this series had previously done a good job to break away from and be more "fun".

For all of its playing with reality, it doesn't hold a single candle to Into the Spider-verse. A film that really does play with this concept in an interesting and visually striking way.

Saved by Willem Dafoe though. Eating up the scenery like an absolute champ.

On 20/11/2021 at 21:43, JohnC said:

Stupid sexy Spider-Man

This little earlier exchange has made me laugh harder than any joke in the film.

On 16/12/2021 at 09:43, Ork1927 said:

Thinking last night how well executed this is and how much it mamages to do/juggle. Almost take it for granted, but 

MEGA SPOILERS

Hide contents

1) Conclude this trilogy - Peter/May/MJ/Ned, etc

2) Draw from the past of the wider MCU - Tony's legacy/Happy/Peter and Dr Strange/Cap Shield on Statue of Liberty.

3) Set up/advance the multiverse storyline from Loki and maybe What If

4) Bring in 5 villians from 5 different films that are part of two different film universes and do a great job of integrating them and giving them stuff to do (ecept maybe the Lizard).

5) Bring in the other two Spidermen and, not only execute that fantastically (I can't see anything ever beating it in terms of perfect/joyful execution of fan service in anything ever - from their introduction to their interaction with each other and then MCU Peter), but also give some sort of closure to their stories that we assumed were long finished. 

6) Catapult Norman Osborn straight near the top as one of the best(worst) villians in the whole MCU and do full on proper comic stuff evil, scary, craxy Goblin vs Spiderman (and lets say again how fantastic Dafoe was).

and on top of that we get

Daredevil being introduced into the MCU and it's Charlie Cox.

Tom Hardy only having a brief visit to the MCU, but leaving a bit of Venom to set up something in the future.

JK Simmons not being a quick end credits Easter Egg in Far From Home, but properly back as JJ.

Alfred Molina being awesome again as Doc Ock.

Probably loads more stuff.

In some ways its more impressive than Infinity War/End Game in tying so much stuff together and doing it well.

Oddly enough I agree with all this.

Spoiler

When you think of the script as some sort of nightmare clockwork machine that still somehow managed to hang together and be entertaining, it's a very impressive piece of craft. But that is the problem for me, it feels just like that: very impressive craft, but without the real artistry or flare of something being its own thing. It had a lot of things it had to be, rather than wanting to be anything, I think.

On 24/12/2021 at 22:52, Gabe said:

So I've just got back from seeing this and am catching up on the thread and, well, that tweet is hilariously bad. I really, really didn't like this and to think anybody could think it's anywhere near the best of Marvel is just :blink:

As I read through the other impressions I imagine I'm going to be out of step with the general view, on the basis that I didn't much care for the first two films either. I like Holland as Spidey but haven't particularly enjoyed the stories he's been placed into. Anyway, spoilered thoughts on this:

Hide contents

I can't decide if I thought the set-up was clever or just too forced to service the plot. I guess I can buy Strange helping, but for Peter to be so reckless (along with those around him, especially Aunt May? I'm not so sure.) The whole curing of them was just far too saccharine and I didn't like the way it essentially made light of Osborne and Doc Oc's mental health issues - hey, take a happy injection and it'll all be okay! I'm most people will counter that point, but I don't think it should be handwaved away just because it's a big action blockbuster.

I also don't quite get why they were all relatively content to be locked in a prison in a different universe and largely just went along with it, but I'll overlook that.

When things went south (and boy did it take a long time for anything to happen!) the 'action' was all over in a relative flash. There was no real craft, no real teamup fighting (or solo for that matter) - Shocker just floated around and zapped a few people (without doing much) and that was about it. It felt really unsatisfying.

I didn't expect Aunt May to die but, I'll be honest, I didn't care when she did because throughout the three films she's really just been a peripheral figure - flirting with Tony in the first film, a fling with Happy in the second and a weak plot-device in this. She deserved better. My girlfriend totally got into it (she liked, rather than loved the film) and was crying at the appropriate moments. I was just wondering when it would finish.

The emotional beats of the film did nothing for me at any point, though I did like the character moment when all three Spideys were on the roof of the college. I enjoyed CGI Molina too, but like so many of the things in this film, he had no room to breathe and actually do much.

And I suppose that's my overriding feeling - this felt as overstuffed and undercooked as Spider-Man 3 to the point that I didn't even really like Holland in it either. It's got a bit of a goodbye feeling to it - I don't know how his contract discussions were going when this was being filmed, so I don't know if he was possibly not going to continue in the role - and I just think the film suffers for it with it not really knowing what to do.

I'm bitterly disappointed because I was really looking forward to this (even if the previous films didn't do it for me) but all it really did was make me want to see more of Doctor Strange - he was the best thing in this by far.

Now to read what you lot thought!

I somewhat agree with a lot of this too.

Spoiler

But for me the weirdest part of the whole thing is just how the setup for it all starts off all mad-cap and played for laughs, which creates a situation that then is extremely serious while still trying to fit in the quipping and humorous stuff while Peter would be in the throes of grief.

Even in the end, the line where Strange is saying "people who care about you would miss you" doesn't ring true at all, as right at the start of the whole thing he was happy to erase Peter from his memory on a hungover whim. I know Strange can be flippant, but that emotional beat later just didn't work for me, as it's not like he gave a fuck before.

It's just really... Strange.

I'll get my floating coat.

Finally rented this and liked it a lot but holy hell, I had so many little moments spoiled by random YouTube thumbnails and offhand references beforehand. Would've been nice to have the same surprises as the people who couldn't help themselves.

Couple of Doctor Strange points that I liked:

Spoiler

The way he does that little skid after floating down the stairs at the beginning.

I thought his hairline looked really weird and suspiciously neat, so the box of hair dye Peter finds downstairs genuinely made me laugh.

Randomly:

Spoiler

Hated that they killed off May. I really liked her not being a doddery old lady in the MCU. Killing her is a waste.

Very happy to see Maguire and Garfield again. Zendaya good as always.

One of my silly gripes about the MCU is that Stark nanotechnology in the costumes is a crap CGI cop-out, so it was pleasing to see Peter sewing his own costume at the end of the film.

I liked that it was about second chances but I'll never look at the ending of Spiderman 2 in the same way again.

I still don't what the point of Peter doing anything was.

Spoiler

I mean, with they are still being sent back to the point of their death's right? So nobody would even know they are now 'good'. Unless I'm completely missing something there, it's a whole exercise in nothing, that does nothing other than get his aunt killed.

As for your random spoiler @DeciderVT:

Spoiler

I posted earlier than I had no feeling about May being killed-off, because she's been nothing but a light framing device in this series and contributed little. What do you think she could've added in future? Genuinely curious.

I think the idea is that

Spoiler

they're being sent back at some point where their deaths aren't yet inevitable? Like, Dafoe's goblin only dies right at the end, after he's been defeated, from memory? Doesn't he try a post-defeat flying of the glider into Peter, that he dodges and ends up killing himself? If he is transported back prior to that, he doesn't try that doomed manoeuvre.

And so on. I don't really recall the old movies well enough across the board.

Ultimately, though, the concept of what's happening is clear enough.

I really didn't buy

Spoiler

Electro being okay with it in the end though. Losing those sweet powers? Fuck that.

It was also just really strange the whole idea that they can "fix" mental health so easily or that somehow it's going to be as simple as "well you see it's just the power that made them bad"

90% of supervillains are just research accident victims so I actually agreed with that bit. “Yeah maybe it’s not OK that everyone we confront fuckin’ dies.” Good plot point.

This was really fun. I liked that it embraced the absurdity of its own premise and mostly carried itself with good old adventure movie dialogue. It’s not fucking Oscar material though. :lol: 

Watched this again at the weekend.  Can anyone explain why...

Spoiler

Ned & MJ are strangers at the end?  The spell was for everyone to forget Peter Parker.  So why are those two, who have known each other for years, seemingly unaware of each other?  (putting aside the massive coincidence that Peter just happens to choose to visit the cafe at the exact same time as Ned 🙄 )

Are we saying that simply because Peter was a mutual friend, they no longer remember being in the same class at school, their trip to europe, etc?

Seems it would've been more logical, and more challenging to the character of Peter, if they were still great friends but just with no memories of him.

Spoiler

They met each other as mutual friends of Peter?

I thought they were friends at the end though, doesn’t Ned go in to share his MIT acceptance with her?

21 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

Watched this again at the weekend.  Can anyone explain why...

Hide contents

Ned & MJ are strangers at the end?  The spell was for everyone to forget Peter Parker.  So why are those two, who have known each other for years, seemingly unaware of each other?  (putting aside the massive coincidence that Peter just happens to choose to visit the cafe at the exact same time as Ned 🙄 )

Are we saying that simply because Peter was a mutual friend, they no longer remember being in the same class at school, their trip to europe, etc?

Seems it would've been more logical, and more challenging to the character of Peter, if they were still great friends but just with no memories of him.

Huh?

Spoiler

They do know each other. He goes to meet her at the cafe.

The spell makes no sense as a whole, I think even those who loved the film realise its a huge plot hole.

3 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Huh?

Hide contents

They do know each other. He goes to meet her at the cafe.

The spell makes no sense as a whole, I think even those who loved the film realise its a huge plot hole.

Spoiler

I thought she says something like 'my fellow engineer' and he's all confused until she points out they both go to MIT?  Maybe I totally misunderstood the scene 😂  I thought they were just barista and customer, but then i've remembered she does waive at him as he comes in.

I think the spell works as a way to end the movie, but for the MCU as a whole it's a problem - on top of other problems coming from a multitude of angles right now.

On 10/04/2022 at 12:55, Uncle Mike said:

I think the idea is that

Hide contents

they're being sent back at some point where their deaths aren't yet inevitable? Like, Dafoe's goblin only dies right at the end, after he's been defeated, from memory? Doesn't he try a post-defeat flying of the glider into Peter, that he dodges and ends up killing himself? If he is transported back prior to that, he doesn't try that doomed manoeuvre.

And so on. I don't really recall the old movies well enough across the board.

Ultimately, though, the concept of what's happening is clear enough.

None of it really matters, of course, but

Spoiler

Electro aside, doesn't Strange say they would be sent back to die anyway? And doesn't Dafoe (and Doc?) describe the last thing they remember essentially being right before they die?

I mean, even if they went back and didn't die, Peter is essentially condemning them to a long stretch in prison at the very least, no matter how 'fixed' they may be. 

I'm sure most of the audience aren't really fussed about any consequences of Peter's actions, though, but it's fun to discuss nonetheless.

Just finished watching it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it but wish I'd seen it on a huge cinema screen.

Spoiler

I like the name Lethal Protector.

I thought the ending was a little downbeat. Peter has basically lost everything and is alone.

I suppose it's a way to distance him from the MCU and have Sony give us some mediocre / poor Spidey films going forward.

/Cough "Morbius" /Cough

35 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Just finished watching it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it but wish I'd seen it on a huge cinema screen.

Hide contents

I like the name Lethal Protector.

I thought the ending was a little downbeat. Peter has basically lost everything and is alone.

I suppose it's a way to distance him from the MCU and have Sony give us some mediocre / poor Spidey films going forward.

/Cough "Morbius" /Cough

Regarding a none spoilery bit of your spoiler, Spider-Man's cobtracted for another three MCU movies.

Spoiler

I’ve managed to go bloody ages without knowing whether Tobey and that other guy are in this, and then I go to buy it on iTunes and this is what you get:

2DZ3Lf5.jpg

Dicks. 

Spoilered just in case but I’ve not even seen it yet. 

I don't know why they've done this with the marketing. They kept everything under wraps so well and then as soon as its came out on home release they just let everything out the bag. Its very dissapointing.