IGNORED

Spider-Man No Way Home - Xmas 2021

teddymeow

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Steering the conversation back to bums - Andrew Garfield is a horrible Spider-Man (sorry but it's true!) but his ass is amazing.

Btw I'd like to politely disagree here. I thought that Garfield put in a decent performance as Spidey - all fake bravado and smart-ass quips.

He was, however, utterly awful as a Peter Parker. Parker is a shy and socially awkward teen, not a skateboarder who has enough bravado to kiss his girl onstage during graduation.

Tobey Maguire had the opposite problem. He put in a good Parker, but a totally personality-free Spider-Man.

I believe that Tom Holland had actually put in a great effort on both counts. It's a lot of what makes his films the best run of the lot.

4 hours ago, Nick R said:

Are we forgetting America's Ass so soon? :(

4 hours ago, LeighCb said:

Um Thanos has the best ass though

I feel sorry for Tim the Hobbit from the Office of Sherlock Holmes. Nobody mentions his ass.

My Wife and I had the chance to watch it this morning so we did. Thought it was lots of fun and deftly handled on the whole.

Spoiler

Molina and DaFoe were both great and it's nice to seem them have another outing with their characters.  DaFoe's cackle and evil 'goblin face' are still great.

Wish they could have done Statue of Liberty bit in the day. 

Also went this morning. Enjoyed it. Not a big crowd, but big for the time of morning. Much of them were a SEN group, who really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Really, spoilers

Spoiler

When Ned opened the portal to that alley, there was a murmur through the audience. People suspected. Then the mask came off and the crowd went bananas.

:( at that one bit.

I think they did the statue a favour, making it lose the shield.

I liked that Hardy spent his whole time in this world at the bar getting pissed.

And for those wanting to know how long to hang around, there's a mid-credits scene and rather than a second, post-credits, scene, it's a teaser trailer for one of the upcoming movies, which may just get released on its own as a teaser trailer.

18 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I liked...

Hide contents
  Hide contents

A certain lawyer and a brick.

I'm a very good lawyer. :)

Maybe it's just me but

Spoiler

it seemed to happen so naturally that it must have been nearly half way through the scene before it struck me that they were bringing across another character from a show.

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Maybe it's just me but

Hide contents

it seemed to happen so naturally that it must have been nearly half way through the scene before it struck me that they were bringing across another character from a show.

Yes, it didn't feel shoehorned at all. I guess it might also further reinforce the likelyhood of

Spoiler

Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin in the Hawkeye series.

I had two options about when to see this film:

1) Go to a screening of Spider-Man this week... and risk catching COVID and then be unable to see The Matrix Resurrections this side of Christmas.

Or: 2) Wait to see Spider-Man after I've seen Matrix 4... and risk getting Spidey spoiled for me in the next week or so.

The first option is obviously unacceptable, so sadly, I've decided to take the red pill and watch Spidey second. Looks like I'll have to do my best to avoid spoilers this week...

Been to see it this afternoon and loved it.

I’m an avowed Spidey fan anyway so this was always going to pull the right levers for me, but it was even better than I dared hope for.  Laugh out loud funny as well in places.  I can’t remember the last time I heard so many laughs and whoops coming from the audience.

4 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Just got out, that was everything i hoped it would be. 

Hide contents
  Hide contents

First time I've seen an audience in a cinema clap and cheer at parts of a movie. 

I loved this - more than I expected too...

Spoiler

As it was about to start a group of like 20 teenagers came in and sat behind me, I moved away because of covid and I thought they'd be loud and annoying 

Spoiler

But their reaction to certs bits was fantastic. 

I didn't realise how important spiderman is to me but this movie really brought it home to me.

I saw this earlier today...

Spoiler
Spoiler

I was absolutely buzzing at Matt Murdock's appearance, really big fan - I did laugh at his one-liner too.

In general, I thought they did really well to keep all the baddies in the action with just about enough time spent on each. Totally agree about Molina and Dafoe, they are both timeless, and will be very difficult to beat their casting for those particular enemies.

The guy in front of me was absolutely whooping when Garfield first came through the portal and took his mask off and there was a woman behind me crying at the Gwen Stacey angle. I loved the re-appearance of Maguire, I think his geeky persona is completely unmatched.

All throughout the film I was wishing (praying) for the appearance of Venom, and thankfully, the post-credits tease has hooked me in for the next one.

All in though, I thought it was one of, if not the best, Marvel film so far. My personal favourite is Winter Soldier and I think this has knocked it off that perch.

I went at 2pm this afternoon & Cinema was fairly full there too which I was quite surprised at.  

Reckon this could see some big box office numbers judging by the queue on the way out,  which included far more cosplayers than I have seen in a long time to boot.

Saw it with the kids earlier and cost me a fortune as my plan to avoid a busy screening went down in flames as we got stuck in traffic so ended up paying for a second screening at another cinema on their biggest screen (which worked out okay as we were well spaced out).

Was it worth £40?

Well first half was really good, but I wish they'd shown a bit less in the trailer then it went up a few gears.

I dunno how it will hold up on a second viewing -  I'm not sure if overall it was very good instead of great, but, but, but there are parts of it that I LOVED that I'd put up against anything in the MCU and maybe anything else in any of my favourite films and cinema experiences.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

People also went nuts in my screening when Andrew Garfield unmasked and then when Maguire turned up.  That whole bit was just spine chillingly good and it proper shook me up (in a good way)

and that was sandwiched between the excellent Norman goes full Green Goblin (Dafoe was unreal) and does the very bad thing and then the other side was the just joyous interplay between the Spider-Men. All three of them were awesome throughout.

Just lots of other stuff to love - Daredevil, Molina, all the Villains bantering, trippy Dr Strange bits, magic Ned, MJ and Peter, lots of JK Simmons, plenty of Jon Favreau and Venoms line about the Hulk slayed me in the end credits

Actually typing the spoilers - It was great and I think the perfect film for what could be a shitty couple of months.

An added thought

Spoiler

Ditching the power rangers mask for the Goblin was welcome. But making Norman the worst of Spidey's villains as in the comics - a truely detestable madman with a five star unhinged performance from Defoe and actions that pushes Peter to his darkest was just great. 

Also, Molina was also fantastic again.

Going tomorrow night. Cant wait. Have watched all of the other movies in preparation, and my ranking is:

Homecoming

Far From Home

Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 3

Amazing Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man 2

I’ve definitely reevaluated 3; it’s actually great fun. ASM1/2 are much worse than I remember though - and I remember them as being bad. Just dull dull dull. 

4 hours ago, Waggo said:

Been to see it this afternoon and loved it.

I’m an avowed Spidey fan anyway so this was always going to pull the right levers for me, but it was even better than I dared hope for.  Laugh out loud funny as well in places.  I can’t remember the last time I heard so many laughs and whoops coming from the audience.

Exactly the same. He's my favourite Marvel superhero, ever since the 90s, I just the characters and 

Spoiler
Spoiler

to have all 3 of them in there was so amazing. When they stepped out the portals people cheered and clapped and that's never happened for me before, not even in Endgame.

It also reminded me just how great Andrew Garfield was in the role and how he was done dirty by terrible films cause his Peter/Spidey is so much fun.

Getting that redemption save was also cheered for in my screening as well as someone shouting "Get in there son" haha

On the villains side, Molena and Defoe were both fantastic, especially Defoe and I also think Jamie Fox was much better that his turn in ASM2.

Was really happy that MJ and Ned didn't get sidelined either as it would have been so easy to forget about them with Spider-man, Dr Strange and all those villains. But they made sure they played am integral part in the story still. Much more so that Ned did in FFH for sure.

I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Think I might go again this weekend with my daughter as she's desperate to see it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I genuinely thought Dafoe and the Goblin were just going to be wasted with him in Norman mode. I'm as nieve as Peter 1. Peters intense tingle when he realised was perfect.

As soon as he unleashed the Goblin it was brilliant. (Dafoe was amazing.)

People just about contained themselves from rapturous applause when Garfield and Toby showed up. I thought Garfield especially struck all the right notes, got the vast majority of the laughs aswell. Aswell as the feels with his catch. (Though that catch needed moooooore slowmo.)

End scene of Hardy coming and going was great. :lol:

Also, is that the first time we have had a proper teaser trailer for another movie as an end scene...with a whatif strange aswell. :sherlock:

Big old smile on my face through out, (apart from the obvious) my expectations were insanely high for this, and it met them.