Immediately obvious inspiration from Oldboy, The Raid and John Wick (although I suppose John Wick's just a spin on the classic martial arts brawlers). Anyway gets my vote for that reason alone, very curious how you pull off the moves, probably its context senstive depending on the environment. Not many games have managed to make big brawlers in 3D be super fluid so keeping an eye on how this could pull it off.

Yeah really into this. Immediately made me think of The Warriors and Sleeping Dogs and all the good old games about punching people in the face and chest that don’t get made so much these days. 

Absolver had a terrific combat system but a structure and setting that I just couldn’t get into. This is much more like it. 

As a huge fan of martial arts stuff this is definitely on my radar. By the way, if you love martial arts movies, I recommend Scott Adkins' channel The Art of Action on YouTube, where he talks about action movies and martial arts in particular, with people ranging from Gareth Evans and Chad Stahelski to Dolph Lundgren, Joe Taslim, Mark Dascascos and Gary Daniels. 

Just now, GamesGamesGames said:

Looks great, but has anyone truly nailed a combat system which is both challenging and environmentally contextual? Wouldn't fancy a button masher so much.

Sleeping Dogs.

12 minutes ago, K said:

I like the ‘grow a beard when you die’ mechanic. I always find it disappointing in games when you die and respawn, and still don’t have a beard. Hopefully there’ll be some procedural element, so that you grow beard variants that relate to the cause of death. 

Five O'Clock Shadow of the Colossus

Stubble Bobble

Soul Patch Calibur

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'd love for a game to get to the level of contextual interactions to enable you to do the whole Jackie Chan 'use everyday objects as setpieces' thing.

Yeah I was wondering how this will actually work as it almost looks too fast to really be you controlling much of it. 

I'd love a fighting game that you could somehow control all blocks, punches, kicks and stuff like jumping, ducking and using environmental stuff but I'm not sure there are enough buttons for the sort of thing (or hands on the user).

While I do enjoy a contextual attack, it's a shame that it just ends up being 'move bad guy to area - play animation but I don't know how you can realistically program the thing I'm imagining and it being fun to play. 

I do wonder if you could do it at the pace of the Shaw bros films were all the movements were very precise but even that would probably only work as a rhythm action game...

Fingers crossed though, it looks right up my street. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'd love for a game to get to the level of contextual interactions to enable you to do the whole Jackie Chan 'use everyday objects as setpieces' thing.

I'd love if this could capture the feel of the Golden Harvest Movies from the 80' and 90's like the Police Story series, Dragons Forever, Armour of God, oh man these were peak Jackie Chan.  Fights between Jackie Chan and Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez were legendary.  Feel like watching these again this weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2021 at 16:00, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I might have to try this, does anyone know how it runs on PS5, did it have PS4 Pro enhancements? Seems to be £3.74 regularly in sales.

(can’t find it on PS5 store, just in App).

8 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I might have to try this, does anyone know how it runs on PS5, did it have PS4 Pro enhancements? Seems to be £3.74 regularly in sales.

(can’t find it on PS5 store, just in App).

I think it just benefits from the pro 'Boost mode' and doesn't have any specific enchantments.

I mean it*is* a 7th Gen game at heart that's been tweaked for PS4 already haha.