IGNORED

Sifu

simms

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Pak Mei looks a lot like Chow Gar Kung Fu - a very rooted Southern Chinese boxing style, so they've really got that brutal efficiency feeling in the animations down.

I've never heard of Pak Mei style, it looks so explosive so lends itself well to this game.  I have a mate that practiced Chow Gar Southern praying mantis.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, jonamok said:

What happens when you die of old age? Is this a roguelike? Do you lose story progress and go back to being a yoof at the start again?

According to the Edge feature from this month - the game is divided into different areas (one for each of the main enemies), with progress persisting so long as you clear the area. Otherwise yes, you go back to the beginning. 

Sounds like a good compromise, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out in reality, although it does sort of take the wind out the sails of the whole concept if you ask me - there’s nothing special about the ageing if it’s just a cycle you’ll invariably repeat. 

On 16/12/2021 at 16:28, Vemsie said:

There's video previews out for this. Here's the one from Alanah Pearce.
Looks super fun.

This is looking awesome.  This is looking like the martial art brawler I've always wanted.  I'm loving general weightiness of the characters, speed of the moves and also the falling back animation and the subsequent breaking of objects that a character falls onto. :wub:

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2021 at 21:58, simms said:

I've never heard of Pak Mei style, it looks so explosive so lends itself well to this game.  I have a mate that practiced Chow Gar Southern praying mantis.

I did southern mantis, although not for very long. It was, by far, the most brutal work out I've ever had. I used to both  dread and love it in almost equal measure.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I did southern mantis, although not for very long. It was, by far, the most brutal work out I've ever had. I used to both  dread and love it in almost equal measure.

Ten years here. The body conditioning alone wrecked. I'm excited how close the combat in this looks to those kinds of styles.

23 minutes ago, Benny said:

Ten years here. The body conditioning alone wrecked. I'm excited how close the combat in this looks to those kinds of styles.

Yeah the body conditioning was fucking awful. The bone grinding stuff? Still makes me shudder. I had so many bumps and bruises from that alone. 

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Reviews - and early access for the deluxe edition - should arrive at midday today.

Any score predictions? I’m thinking 8/10.

I dunno, watched a bit of that Alanah vid above and it looks like a less good God Hand. 

I'm thinking 5s or 6s!

14 minutes ago, robdood said:

I dunno, watched a bit of that Alanah vid above and it looks like a less good God Hand. 

I'm thinking 5s or 6s!

It's not a character action game though. It's not a game in which you style on opponents, but a game focused on defense and taking out enemies as efficiently as possible.

I would be very surprised if it reviews badly, given how positive the previews were, but we'll see.

I don't consider it a roguelike, as you have multiple lives and as far as I know there is no procedural generation.

10 minutes ago, Strafe said:

9/10 from gamespot. Positive reviews from

a load of others I haven’t heard of.

This is out now for those who pre-ordered the special edition. 

1 minute ago, Robo_1 said:

This is out now for those who pre-ordered the special edition. 

It should be, the countdown timer is at zero but it’s not downloading. A look at Twitter suggests that lots of people - probably everyone - is having the same issue.

I just bought it on the strength of reviews and nothing is happening! 💩 

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

"One of the best modern action games around" and a 9/10 from IGN. Could it be this year's Returnal? :sherlock:

d65862dd41d1a1b5e5ebcaeddf1cc89c.png.51a132d94ddfe1263de2e876af17eb88.png

As if the wait wasn't annoying enough.

I've reviewed it for VGC.

The combat is pretty incredible really, very much like playing out action sequences in a martial arts movie, with a great soundtrack, amazing fluidity and loads of attention to detail.

But the structure is really punishing. This isn't a game you just play through. You'll have to repeat each level multiple times after you've beaten it to improve your performance, and the bosses in particular can be really tough.

11 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I've reviewed it for VGC.

The combat is pretty incredible really, very much like playing out action sequences in a martial arts movie, with a great soundtrack, amazing fluidity and loads of attention to detail.

But the structure is really punishing. This isn't a game you just play through. You'll have to repeat each level multiple times after you've beaten it to improve your performance, and the bosses in particular can be really tough.

So it’s a roguelike

Hmmmm