Jump to content
IGNORED

Sifu


simms
 Share

Recommended Posts

Reviews are looking good. Interested to hear peoples thoughts about the difficulty when they've played it.

 

As long as it feels like you're getting better (like the bosses in Metroid Dread) then that's great, I just hope it's not frustratingly difficult. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In terms of the boss fights, I think Sekiro would be a good comparison point. Perhaps just a notch down in terms of complexity, but the learning process of timing parries and dodges is similar.

 

The harsh thing about it comes from the aging mechanic though. If you're old when you beat a boss, you effectively have to go back and do it better, because you won't get far on the next level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

 

 

This review sold me on it.  I'd recommend anyone interested in it watch at least the first 5 mins to understand the structure. It sounds marmite. But I love marmite! 

 

Its going to piss off loads of people who aren't ready to practice it enough to essentially "1-credit" it. 

 

The memorisation of unblockable attacks (that don't seem to have nice obvious tells) doesn't sound great.

 

But nice to see people make something uncompromising and how they want! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't Sony tech not work on weekends* or something? I'd bet money on this not being fixed and available for download until tomorrow.

 

*Might be mixing that up with Frontier (Elite Dangerous Devs)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Don't Sony tech not work on weekends* or something? I'd bet money on this not being fixed and available for download until tomorrow.

 

 



I will lay that bet. I’ll give you 8/11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sifu sounds really mechanically interesting, and it's been a good while since I can think of the last great challenging single player brawler, so I'm very interested to play it. It's just a shame that the whole "entirely white, French development team makes game styled entirely on Chinese martial arts movies" feels more than a little cultural-appropriationey* off; representing a culture in game but not at all on the development side just doesn't sit right with me. Not helped by the wonderful bit of orientalism that is the game's "creator kit":

 

Apologies if I'm coming across as some sort of moralising crusader, but basing your game 100% around Chinese characters in China using Chinese martial arts, advertising it with pseudo-Chinese merchandise, and yet hiring a grand total of zero Chinese staff just feels kind of gross to me.

 

edit:

* this was entirely the wrong term to use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The creator kit really does just seem like 'here's a load of random Chinese stuff'. I wonder how much the dev knew about it.

 

Because on the whole I'd say Sifu feels quite careful in what it's doing. I don't think there's the kind of overt Orientalism you might expect. It's not really saying about Chinese culture, or fetishising it, at least as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near as bad as something like Far Cry 6 in terms of dim westernised cultural representation, or even Ghost of Tsushima. Or even Cobra Kai for that matter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

15 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Sifu sounds really mechanically interesting, and it's been a good while since I can think of the last great challenging single player brawler, so I'm very interested to play it. It's just a shame that the whole "entirely white, French development team makes game styled entirely on Chinese martial arts movies" feels more than a little cultural-appropriationey. Not helped by the wonderful bit of orientalism that is the game's "creator kit":

 

Apologies if I'm coming across as some sort of moralising crusader, but basing your game 100% around Chinese characters in China using Chinese martial arts, advertising it with pseudo-Chinese merchandise, and yet hiring a grand total of zero Chinese staff just feels kind of gross to me.

 

I’d think of it as more of a homage than appropriation not much different to the western aimed games developed in the east. 


I expect they hired someone Chinese to create the marketing material and the live action trailer has Chinese actors in it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The creator kit really does just seem like 'here's a load of random Chinese stuff'.

 

It's all stuff from the cutscenes isn't it? And the pendant is, like, the defining element of the whole game. Not sure I see what the problem is, it's at least better than most of the promo tat I've seen over the years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Apologies if I'm coming across as some sort of moralising crusader, but basing your game 100% around Chinese characters in China using Chinese martial arts, advertising it with pseudo-Chinese merchandise, and yet hiring a grand total of zero Chinese staff just feels kind of gross to me.

This isn't cultural appropriation, in the same way Ghost of Tsushima isn't cultural appropriation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

This isn't cultural appropriation, in the same way Ghost of Tsushima isn't cultural appropriation. 

 

I've done a quick bit of reading, and it's evident I was misusing the term. I had thought it applied to media when that media is the product of one culture, but lifts a style associated with another culture, but it turns out I was entirely wrong on that, so please excuse (and ignore) my use of it.

 

I'm hopeful Sifu isn't in fact an orientalist work (which Samurai Honour Contemplator 5000 — now with added Kurosawa Mode! certainly is), but I'm still not hugely comfortable with stories that are told entirely from the outside looking in — in the same way as I find the first Life is Strange (which I love) to be a little iffy for having been written entirely by men. When you're a one-person creator then it's understandable that you may end up creating works which are centred from perspectives other than your own, but as soon as something becomes a team effort there are fewer excuses to not include the voices you're presenting to the world as part of your creative team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Wiper said:

 

I've done a quick bit of reading, and it's evident I was misusing the term. I had thought it applied to media when that media is the product of one culture, but lifts a style associated with another culture, but it turns out I was entirely wrong on that, so please excuse (and ignore) my use of it.

 

I'm hopeful Sifu isn't in fact an orientalist work (which Samurai Honour Contemplator 5000 — now with added Kurosawa Mode! certainly is), but I'm still not hugely comfortable with stories that are told entirely from the outside looking in — in the same way as I find the first Life is Strange (which I love) to be a little iffy for having been written entirely by men. When you're a one-person creator then it's understandable that you may end up creating works which are centred from perspectives other than your own, but as soon as something becomes a team effort there are fewer excuses to not include the voices you're presenting to the world as part of your creative team.

 

Just want to chip to chip in that Ghost of Tsushima has had extensive consultancy and input from various Japanese sources applied to the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

 

 

 

Apart from the whole "wax on / wax off" thing, which grated on me because SIFU is about Kung Fu and The Karate Kid, well, it's in the title, that was a good review and makes me realise that the game isn't for me.

 

At least, not until the physical version is released so I can trade it if it really doesn't click with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.