IGNORED

Sifu

simms

On 06/02/2022 at 19:56, Nate Dogg III said:

It's all stuff from the cutscenes isn't it? And the pendant is, like, the defining element of the whole game. Not sure I see what the problem is, it's at least better than most of the promo tat I've seen over the years.

Yeah, not the pendant thing. That's clearly relevant. Maybe the rest may feature in the game in some way - I can't recall a teapot, honestly - but as a package it does come across as, here, have some Chinese stuff.

That Skillup review makes it sound simultaneously brilliant and also instantly removed from my wish list. Would love to have the patience to play and master it but I know my limits. Think I’ll give Olli Olli a bash instead 

1 minute ago, Yuujiin said:

If I pre order I can play it now ??

If you buy the deluxe version, yes. It’s £35 with PSN discount. You get some avatars and a digital soundtrack etc that you’ll never use but still.

I’m about an hour in and loving it.

This looks brilliant, but there is no point buying it until I've finished with Returnal, and that will probably happen once Elden Ring releases. 

It's getting bought though. Looks right up my street. I like how it's big innovation is basically, bringing the concept of lives back. Love it.

Beat the first boss age 34!

Quite redundant given what all the reviews say but I’ll add my name to the “this is a game that wants you to learn” ticket.

So far it doesn’t feel unfair but it’s very willing to punish you for mistakes which might seem overly strict.

I have to say, skillup said this wasn’t the game you expected but having followed the previews this is, so far, exactly the game I expected.

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

If you buy the deluxe version, yes. It’s £35 with PSN discount. You get some avatars and a digital soundtrack etc that you’ll never use but still.

I’m about an hour in and loving it.

I feel a bit torn. It looks ace, but £35 for a game with only 5 levels. I'm gonna try and ride out the hype....

Just now, Tomdominer said:

I feel a bit torn. It looks ace, but £35 for a game with only 5 levels. I'm gonna try and ride out the hype....

That’s the deluxe version. The regular one - which unlocks Tuesday - is cheaper

Apologies to everyone who's trying to enjoy the launch of the game; I've spoilered my responses to avoid taking up too much more space in the thread.

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

This is utter nonsense. So now you’re saying people can’t write about cultural stuff if they’re not from that culture? Or write about anything other than their own lived experience? That it’s somehow wrong? Well, say goodbye to like 99% of all media, I guess! Japanese people can only make games, movies and books about Japanese things! Americans only American things! Chinese only about Chinese things! Only teenage lesbians can write games like life is strange! 

Like I said: nonsense. You should be championing people to write more of these stories if they’re from that culture or background, not censoring the ones who aren’t. 

To quote myself in the quote you've, er, quoted:

When you're a one-person creator then it's understandable that you may end up creating works which are centred from perspectives other than your own, but as soon as something becomes a team effort there are fewer excuses to not include the voices you're presenting to the world as part of your creative team.

I'm not saying you can only ever write your own experiences, but I am saying that once you get to team-scale production you should be thinking of actively recruiting people (as creatives, sensitivity readers, whatever is appropriate) to contribute, and that that hasn't happened here is a disappointment. Because ultimately, championing people to tell the stories of their cultures is best, most effectively leveraged from within studios, not from individual fans.

And, again, as you gave the specific example: I love Life is Strange — it's my 23rd favourite game of all time — I'm not saying these games are terrible or shouldn't be made, just saying that these are teams that could do better in championing the groups they are representing. Criticism != censorship, but I'm confident you know that.

Anyway, I'm going to stop posting on this subject because I'm unfairly derailing this thread; the game sounds like it's doing some fascinating things structurally, and like it's a triumph mechanically.* As a small studio I'm directing outsize criticism towards Sloclap, and they don't deserve that. I hope they do well from the game!

* even better: a divisive one, aka. the best kind of triumph

This is so obviously inspired by The Raid, love it. The combat feels surprisingly basic at the start, I think they should have let you have some of the extra moves a bit earlier.

So far it's no push over but I've certainly not come across anything I'd consider unfair. The takedowns are universally brutal though, when you take on a stream of enemies it really is a spectacle of bone breaking, skull cracking action.

Like the visual style too. Low poly, high polish is my impression.

Anyway, back to it. :)

1 hour ago, spanx said:

That Skillup review makes it sound simultaneously brilliant and also instantly removed from my wish list. Would love to have the patience to play and master it but I know my limits. Think I’ll give Olli Olli a bash instead 

Yeah… Olli Olli is much less about resetting your attempts to perfect your playthrough of a level… 🙃

As is usual with games that have a parry system, I'm sometimes at a loss why I'm parrying amazingly one minute, then absolutely useless the next.

This is indeed a game that wants you to learn, but it could do better at teaching you. Still, I've managed to permanently unlock two techniques, and am really enjoying the game. It feels awesome when you get everything right.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

As is usual with games that have a parry system, I'm sometimes at a loss why I'm parrying amazingly one minute, then absolutely useless the next.

Theres a high and a low block/parry.

This is super fun. Almost reached the second boss on my first go. Love the combat, though I feel I need to get better at the ducking and weaving. It's a powerful tool, but not easy. You need to be fast in this game (just like in real martial arts I presume). Also took me too long to realize that you can permanently unlock special moves. 😬

4 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Where can I find the digital soundtrack and art book? Can’t see it in menu and it doesn’t seem to appear as an add on either. 

Answering my own question...

So it looks like the soundtrack and art book only show up under the PS4 version. If you've downloaded the PS5 version the easiest thing to do is select the PS4 version in the online store and from that you'll see the ability to individually download the extras.

So simple, really...