Jump to content
IGNORED

Has Game Pass/PS Plus/Humble Bundle/other subscription services and freebies affected your videogame purchasing habits?


Jamie John
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was a big advocate of GamePass at first. I especially liked the way it opened up multiplayer gaming with real life friends. Gamepass ensures that you all own the same games.  I've had some fun sessions on Gears of War 5, a game I'd never personally buy.

 

But with Gamepass comes the feeling of apathy that I've not felt since the days of Amiga piracy.  Back in the 90s it was so easy to get hold of every game you could ever want that I ended up playing hundreds of games for five minutes each, but not stopping to really explore any of them.  Today, limited hard drive space means I can only download a few titles at once, but this brings its own challenges. For example, it took hours to download Forza, and I played it for a while.  But when Halo MCC turned up I had to delete something, so Forza went, and now reinstalling Forza seems a massive barrier to me.  I've been there and played that, despite only seeing 5% of it. 

 

Significantly, I find that having a massive list of games freely available means I judge them by their covers and make a snap judgement, ignoring 90% of what's on there.

 

2 days ago, I broke and bought Last of Us 2, as it was £14.99 at Argos. I gave it a couple of hours each night and I'm getting through it.  But in the back of my mind I have this nagging feeling that I don't care for it much.  Too many cinematics. Gameplay exactly the same as the original. It's 10 minutes of movie for every 5 minutes of gameplay.  But I know it is early days and it might get better in the next hour or so. 

 

But if TLOU2 was on Gamepass I'm sure it would be uninstalled by now and I'd be trying something else.  I've now cancelled Gamepass and don't really miss it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, footle said:

I don’t buy MS games any more.

 

everything else - no. I’m time poor: I’m not going to skip playing a game at the same time as everyone else in the expectation that eventually it’ll end up on PS Plus.

Pretty much this. That said, I've rarely got a burning desire to play a game there and then, I typically grab an Assassin's Creed when the gold edition is swirling around the $20 mark on sale. 

 

I've really got into GPU these last few months and, aside from some Switch titles (also on sale), I haven't bought anything other than treating myself to WD Legion for half price over Christmas. In fact, it's to the point where the kids and I spend so much time on these "free" games on GP than I mentioned where they're coming from (the $1 deal through 2022) and my wife mentioned we should just subscribe, as it seems worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me Gamepass has opened up some games I'd never tried before. It's allowed me to try the Yakuza series when I'd always been on the fence beforehand. Now I've completed Zero, Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and 3 and I still have 4 and 5 on there. Because of that, I paid full price for Yakuza: Like A Dragon on release even though I haven't gotten around to starting it yet. 

As I mentioned in the Gamepass thread earlier today, I've often found myself starting a new Gamepass game, loving it and then rinsing it. When I've finished I'll purchase it because I want to reward the developers for their work. A little backwards I know, but I've done it a fair few times now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I really want to play something, I'll end up paying for it. That hasn't really changed for me, outside of Microsoft first party stuff and certain indie games because they'll release day and date for Game Pass.

As others have mentioned, if the game is from a publisher that's very much in the ecosystem of Game Pass/Humble Monthly/Prime Gaming, I'll likely wait unless it's something I'm itching to play. If it's not from certain publishers, I will likely jump on a deep Steam discount before it'll end up on a service.

And if it's something I'm not itching to play, and it's not on the service.. well, it's not being played anyway. But I will jump on game pass games if there's a passing interest among my friends to do something multiplayer, or by catching a random stream of someone playing a game and to end up finding it very enjoyable (like Deep Rock Galactic, World War Z or even Minecraft), and it's a very pleasant surprise. In that respects, Game Pass is a winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gamepass for me has provided a huge saving and also that I've played more games than if I'd bought them.

 

Previously I amassed huge game collections because I would get the latest thing, or it was on sale or likely be difficult to get later on. End result was I would get a game, have a quick look and then never get around to playing it because something else shiny and new was on the pile. Then when I considered playing it properly it would feel old or I'd have to play through the same start again to remember what to do/how to play.

 

With gamepass I have a selection of games available, which I'm finding easier to prioritise and sort the type of game I next fancy playing, a big storyline single player adventure or a short 3-4 hr innovative indie gem.

 

Works for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As Gamepass is more of a try before you buy rental service, where a game can be removed any given month, So if I was in the middle of a game it was going to leave I'd have to buy it anyways... I find the omnipresent PSN sale more of a thing that affects my buying habits. 

 

I'd like the get the Nioh collection but I'll just wait as it's like £65 atm, and it absolutely will be half that amount in no time. 

In general games go on for a year, or at least six months. There are the occasional exceptions. Every game is discounted too, and if it’s a new release it’ll turn out that it’s fully on sale before it comes off game pass anyway,.


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kspw-4paT-eE5-mrCrc4R9tg70lH2ZTFrJOUmOtOytg/edit

 

but as you were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, footle said:

In general games go on for a year, or at least six months. There are the occasional exceptions. Every game is discounted too, and if it’s a new release it’ll turn out that it’s fully on sale before it comes off game pass anyway,.


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kspw-4paT-eE5-mrCrc4R9tg70lH2ZTFrJOUmOtOytg/edit

 

but as you were.


Yeah, literally exactly what I said! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

2 days ago, I broke and bought Last of Us 2, as it was £14.99 at Argos. I gave it a couple of hours each night and I'm getting through it.  But in the back of my mind I have this nagging feeling that I don't care for it much.  Too many cinematics. Gameplay exactly the same as the original. It's 10 minutes of movie for every 5 minutes of gameplay.  But I know it is early days and it might get better in the next hour or so. 

 

But if TLOU2 was on Gamepass I'm sure it would be uninstalled by now and I'd be trying something else.  I've now cancelled Gamepass and don't really miss it.  

 

 

I haven't bought a game this year as I've been happily going through my back catalogue of PSPlus titles. (Along with the odd Switch game I've had on the backburner). Experienced some great games too; some I would never have tried like Vampyr and Shadow of War.

 

I'm staying well away from PS Now or similar. I want to look forward to my games and try finish them. I reckon this is a slippery slope towards feeling jaded.

 

The Last of Us 2 is maybe the only thing I'm tempted to buy. But it can wait.

 

Just out if interest, when was it £14.99 in Argos? Was it some kind of special deal? Seems to gave gone up again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Just out if interest, when was it £14.99 in Argos? Was it some kind of special deal? Seems to gave gone up again.

 

It was that price for about three days at the start of the week. There was a thread about it in the bargains forum.

 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's contributed to the thread. It's been interesting to read your thoughts.

 

I think, for consumers, GP and other subscription services are largely a good thing. While they can lead to a certain amount of choice paralysis, or choice apathy, for most people they seem to represent good value for money, GPU especially, and they allow people to sample games they otherwise wouldn't have played. This is the case for me, too - I've not really had GP for that long a time, but I've played and enjoyed a fair few games on it that I wouldn't have bothered buying outright.

 

I still think my original point stands, though - the idea that certain people will wait for a game they're somewhat interested in to come to GP/PS+, etc. instead of spending buying it, and in so doing will deprive the devs of their money, or as much money, at least, as they would have got from that one particular customer had they paid them directly for the game. But, at the same time, there are lots of people for who that doesn't seem to be an issue - if they fancy a game then they buy it, regardless of whether they think it'll eventually end up on a subscription service. If it does, then who cares? You haven't really lost anything, and even if it is a bit galling, especially if you've just paid quite a lot of money for a game, at least you're supporting the devs by spending money on it.

 

As ever, I think it a good rule of thumb is to only buy games that you're going to play more or less immediately. Despite knowing this, however, it's something that I can never seem to do: I buy games because they're cheap, then leave them on a (literal or virtual) shelf to gather dust, then by the time I actually come to play them they've typically lost their allure and I want to play something else instead. I've tried to break this habit several times over the last few years, but I can never seem to. I really do think that I like amassing games more than I like playing them, at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

 

 

I haven't bought a game this year as I've been happily going through my back catalogue of PSPlus titles. (Along with the odd Switch game I've had on the backburner). Experienced some great games too; some I would never have tried like Vampyr and Shadow of War.

 

I'm staying well away from PS Now or similar. I want to look forward to my games and try finish them. I reckon this is a slippery slope towards feeling jaded.

 

The Last of Us 2 is maybe the only thing I'm tempted to buy. But it can wait.

 

Just out if interest, when was it £14.99 in Argos? Was it some kind of special deal? Seems to gave gone up again.

Couple of days ago it was posted here in the Bargains folder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only ever sign up for Game Pass when I can get three months for €1, or something.

 

I did that back in December.

Played Gears 5 for less than five minutes.

Logged back in yesterday to cancel my sub before it kicks in at full price.

 

That was probably one big waste of €1 and an hour, to be fair. I'd have been better off trying to clear out Chrono Trigger from my 16bit backlog. A game I've never played before. I bet one hour on that would engross me enough to see it through totally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edit: Fallows, this isn't a personal dig, your post just happens to be the latest one.

 

For those who have signed up to game pass, played a few minutes of gears or Forza and decide that it isn't for you, do you do the same with music and video services?

 

I just can't really get my head around it and I see the gears/Forza the same as:

 

"I signed up for a Spotify trial and listened to Justin Bieber for 5 mins. I've decided this isn't for me, I'll go back to buying rock music like I normally do."

 

"I signed up for an Amazon prime trial and watched the Hunger games  for 5 mins. I've decided this isn't for me, I'll go back to buying foreign language films like I normally do."

 

Games like Gears and Forza are very, very specific games, neither of which have anything to do with the value that game pass offers. But... they are the games that everyone seems to immediately jump in to play, even if they aren't games that they normally enjoy or play. Maybe this is because Microsoft put them front and centre of their marketing?

 

People in this thread who have done the above and gone straight to gears/Forza? Why?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've definitely signed up to services for a month to specifically try games and stop continuing to pay after I feel like my time's up with it.

 

Not on the same level of dismissal of Fallows' case, but signing up to Origin Access to play Anthem during release week. I wasn't going to hang around when it ended up being 2 hours of fun gameplay in a 10 hour padded adventure, and a GaaS with no actual endgame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BeeJay I don't think it's a fair comparison.  If you use Spotify you'll listen to music you like, maybe discover new artists, go down a wormhole in a genre. But if you decide to listen to a song it's right there. You search for Hello by Lionel Richie and see in the results that the Finnish heavy metal band Northern Kings did a cover version, listen to that, like it or not like it, that it. Done, over with in 3 minutes. Likewise with a movie on Netflix you can go from hearing about a film on this forum, thinking you might like it, and having seen in all within a 2 hour window.  

 

Gamepass has a combination of big, epic games that might take you weeks to finish, combined with long install times and limited hard drive space. Even small indie games take a week or two to play through. Netflix is like having hundreds of movies all ready to go. Gamepass has the two or three games you've installed until your hard drive filled. If you feel like you're not enjoying Gears 5 and fancy something else you'll probably have to uninstall something to do it. Of course, that is all from a personal perspective. I've only got a 500GB hard drive in my Xbox, but even that seems generous compared to what you get with the new Xbox Series S. 

 

With Netflix and Spotify you could watch a hundred movies / listen to 500 albums in full every month. Gamepass promotes itself like that but in real life the content is too big to play everything in full and the installations form a barrier to dipping in and out of 20 games at once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dumpster said:

@BeeJay I don't think it's a fair comparison.  If you use Spotify you'll listen to music you like, maybe discover new artists, go down a wormhole in a genre. But if you decide to listen to a song it's right there. You search for Hello by Lionel Richie and see in the results that the Finnish heavy metal band Northern Kings did a cover version, listen to that, like it or not like it, that it. Done, over with in 3 minutes. Likewise with a movie on Netflix you can go from hearing about a film on this forum, thinking you might like it, and having seen in all within a 2 hour window.  

 

Gamepass has a combination of big, epic games that might take you weeks to finish, combined with long install times and limited hard drive space. Even small indie games take a week or two to play through. Netflix is like having hundreds of movies all ready to go. Gamepass has the two or three games you've installed until your hard drive filled. If you feel like you're not enjoying Gears 5 and fancy something else you'll probably have to uninstall something to do it. Of course, that is all from a personal perspective. I've only got a 500GB hard drive in my Xbox, but even that seems generous compared to what you get with the new Xbox Series S. 

 

With Netflix and Spotify you could watch a hundred movies / listen to 500 albums in full every month. Gamepass promotes itself like that but in real life the content is too big to play everything in full and the installations form a barrier to dipping in and out of 20 games at once. 

 

Interesting. Maybe this is why the streaming service is so important to the concept? I can understand that spending a day downloading a game, which takes up a third of your hard drive, that you don't enjoy, can put you off.

 

But I don't understand the association between the game and the service. The game is bad, the game is big, the game takes ages to download. These are all factors that are specific to the game, not the service. There are loads of games on all of the subscription services that are under a GB and quality and quick to download.

 

Surely there are films on Netflix etc. that are long, that are bad? The only difference I can really see is the streaming ability which isn't on a par yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dumpster said:

I was a big advocate of GamePass at first. I especially liked the way it opened up multiplayer gaming with real life friends. Gamepass ensures that you all own the same games.  I've had some fun sessions on Gears of War 5, a game I'd never personally buy.

 

But with Gamepass comes the feeling of apathy that I've not felt since the days of Amiga piracy.  Back in the 90s it was so easy to get hold of every game you could ever want that I ended up playing hundreds of games for five minutes each, but not stopping to really explore any of them.  Today, limited hard drive space means I can only download a few titles at once, but this brings its own challenges. For example, it took hours to download Forza, and I played it for a while.  But when Halo MCC turned up I had to delete something, so Forza went, and now reinstalling Forza seems a massive barrier to me.  I've been there and played that, despite only seeing 5% of it. 

 

Significantly, I find that having a massive list of games freely available means I judge them by their covers and make a snap judgement, ignoring 90% of what's on there.

 

2 days ago, I broke and bought Last of Us 2, as it was £14.99 at Argos. I gave it a couple of hours each night and I'm getting through it.  But in the back of my mind I have this nagging feeling that I don't care for it much.  Too many cinematics. Gameplay exactly the same as the original. It's 10 minutes of movie for every 5 minutes of gameplay.  But I know it is early days and it might get better in the next hour or so. 

 

But if TLOU2 was on Gamepass I'm sure it would be uninstalled by now and I'd be trying something else.  I've now cancelled Gamepass and don't really miss it.  

I had a similar experience when first using GamePass trying everything on there but actually playing nothing. Originally I bought into GP with Forza Horizon 4 instead of buying it had GP and played it to death with that for three months or so. After this though just tried lots of games for small amounts of time. So cancelled for a while.

.

Since getting a console again and it being brought on to PC too I've resubbed to it for a fair while using the Gold conversation trick. Figured for £80 have a couple of years of gaming sorted out. There is enough variety on there to keep me interested. I've actually found that I do play more games through to completion on there than I ever have. 

 

You mention Last Of Us 2 really wish this had been on a GamePass type service day one. I didn't bother finishing that game even though I'd invested quite heavily in it. I bought a PS4 Pro mainly to play this and a few other Sony exclusives. It ended up being a bit of a waste of money. Managed 10 hours or so on TLoU2 before I gave up on it as I wasn't enjoying the story or game. Same with the other Sony exclusives. Hence me not going Sony this gen. 

 

Think the main thing I like about GamePass is that it has plenty of smaller indie games on there. Currently playing Sea Of Solace for example which I would have overlooked if it hadn't have been on GamePass. Really enjoying it too. I have a list of games that I've completed that are around the 10 hour max length mark. Been really enjoying gaming again lately because of this.

 

As for the big AAA blockbuster games they don't seem to be doing anything for me anymore so avoid them most of the time. Think I am just bored of all the violence in most of them these days. Think this is what did it for TLoU2 it just wasn't fun stabbing / shooting people and zombies seemingly endlessly then a grim revenge story on top.....found it really depressing to play to be honest. Don't play games to feel depressed :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Subscription services stopped me buying a game just yesterday, but also made me want it. Breathedge is a game I played in early access via origin access, and really enjoyed. It released this week and I'm really keen to play it. However, I am very aware that it is part of EA play for PC, which is overdue to join game pass ultimate.

 

So, without having played it on origin access, I would not be interested in it at all. So in a roundabout way, there is no lost sale by it being on a subscription service but I am highly likely to play it when EA play pc gets added to game pass.

 

I read an article recently that suggested that service subscribers spend more money on gaming than non-subscriber a, which makes complete sense to me. My video game spending has dropped over the last few years, due to my personal financial situation so I don't think using subscription services are to blame for my reduced spending. Was I still in the financial situation that I was 10 years ago, maybe my perspective and spending habits would be completely different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Edit: Fallows, this isn't a personal dig, your post just happens to be the latest one.

 

For those who have signed up to game pass, played a few minutes of gears or Forza and decide that it isn't for you, do you do the same with music and video services?

 

I just can't really get my head around it and I see the gears/Forza the same as:

 

"I signed up for a Spotify trial and listened to Justin Bieber for 5 mins. I've decided this isn't for me, I'll go back to buying rock music like I normally do."

 

"I signed up for an Amazon prime trial and watched the Hunger games  for 5 mins. I've decided this isn't for me, I'll go back to buying foreign language films like I normally do."

 

Games like Gears and Forza are very, very specific games, neither of which have anything to do with the value that game pass offers. But... they are the games that everyone seems to immediately jump in to play, even if they aren't games that they normally enjoy or play. Maybe this is because Microsoft put them front and centre of their marketing?

 

People in this thread who have done the above and gone straight to gears/Forza? Why?

 

 

 

No worries.

 

Sure, when it comes to both Spotify and Netflix my saved items are all of my 'classics' which I already have on my USB drive anyway.

 

I'd cancel Netflix if not for my son, and Spotify is only active currently because of another really cheap deal, and I think the overall convenience is worth it 

 

I'm basically stuck in the past and default to a solidly cynical viewpoint when it comes to anything new. Something has to be genuinely amazing and fresh to hold my interest.

 

Also, why Gears? Simply because I wanted to flex my new 3080 card before Cyberpunk landed. I also tried DOOM Eternal but I actively stopped after an hour because I want to buy that one permanently when it's on a Steam sale.

 

I don't know. For me, Game Pass feels like I'm spending an afternoon in a video game rentals shop while my parents are off doing the shopping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t subscribe to anything except PS plus, and that’s more out of necessity to play online.

 

We had a discussion like this not long ago, I remember someone called me a dinosaur for still buying games I like. In a year I usually only get through one or two new release games. I still tend to obsess over a few titles and like to wring everything I can out of them. Since 2017 it’s basically gone GT sport-> Ace Combat 7-> Star Wars Squadrons, with Tetris Effect always in the background. All of those I bought when they were released at launch price. Then there’s things I buy when they’re on sale if they come highly recommended (Horizon ZD and Shovel Knight) that I play if and when I have the urge for something new - last on my list of gaming priorities is always the PS plus offerings, only touch those when I’m bored and can only really think of two I’ve bothered with (Sonic Mania and Bloodborne).

 

Basically I’m not the type of customer anybody in the industry wants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve only had gamepass since November but thus far I have played more games than ever as I tend to flick between a few FPS games I play with mates and often ignore single player stuff so it has been pretty revolutionary for me as I found most PS+ games I just added to the collection but didn’t ever play!


I find the concept interesting and it hasn’t affected my buying habits as such because I wasn’t buying those games before but can imagine for many people it will make them more hesitant to buy a game as it may be on gamepass or ps+ soon....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me it's not subscription services that have changed my habits but the sales, and particularly PSN sales. I've bought so many games when they were reduced with the thought that I would play them later, only to completely ignore them. I've taken to resisting even the most significant price reduction unless I'm sure I'm going to play the game immediately. Oxenfree is 79p on PSN at the minute, and I prevaricated for an age before actually buying it. Obviously the money doesn't matter but I didn't want another game added to the list for no reason. So these days I buy the game I want to play next, whether it's in the sale or not. 

 

It's partly why I don't really have an interest in Gamepass or PS Now*, access to games is not my problem. It's the fact that I am already faced with choice paralysis without them.

 

* Although I do have a subscription to that at the minute. I subscribed when I wanted to play Oblivion and a year's subscription was cheap. I finished Oblivion and have pretty much ignored it since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I'm still able to download and play games though the Microsoft Store app, despite no longer being subbed to Game Pass.

 

Xbox app says no.

MS Store app says yes.

 

I saw a terrible, terrible click-bate youtube video the other day that showed this. Apparently it is a bug that has been around for months and hasn't been fixed. They showed  it working on the xbox game pass pc app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GamePass will definitely reduce the number of games I buy.
 

If there’s something I really want to play then I won’t hesitate to buy it and in the past I’d have generally not hesitated to buy stuff I just quite fancied playing too.

 

However there’s a ton of stuff I quite fancy playing on GamePass for ‘free’ so I’ll just play those instead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've spent far too much money in sales for games I might want to play and never playing them. Then just feeling the weight of guilt from the pile of shame. 

 

I actually knocked all that on the head a while ago. I don't even open steam any more. And I've said this before in the eShop thread, I have a rule now that all games I'd like go in the wishlist first even if its already on sale. Then have to wait for it to go on sale again. I got time and plenty to play to wait. The majority of the time when it comes back on sale I dont bother and off the list it goes. 

 

Gamepass is similar. I either get around to playing it while it is on there, or I don't! I mustn't have cared that much. No guilt. No shame. No money pissed up a wall.

 

I still end up spending a fair bit of money buying games. If I want to play it now I just get it now. I've played stuff on gamepass and decided to buy the switch version for better handheld.

 

Additional: to answer the question, no, but it's lined up quite nicely with how I already do buy games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.