Greatest opening to a track

Loik V credern

I actually think Venetian Snares is better than anyone at this (of course i do, but it was a significant realisation because among the electronic elite he's not given credit, he's known for breakcore, epic compositions, not for weird sounds or technical mastery.)

Along with Second Peng, Contain is an all time favourite. Star Wars sampled backwards I'm sure i read. 

The first 3m20s are just gold. The train sounds crossing the stereo field, the lolloping, plodding funk, that fizzing, cracked guitar.

I've never really taken "Geiger Counter" to be a separate track as it can't really exist without what follows. The frequency increase as "Radioactivity" draws closer is also one of those little flashes of wry humour that I like about Kraftwerk. The way the pulse slowly builds until the chorus of voices, the synth lines and the phasing kick in is just sublime.

6 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

The first 3m20s are just gold. The train sounds crossing the stereo field, the lolloping, plodding funk, that fizzing, cracked guitar.

I've never really taken "Geiger Counter" to be a separate track as it can't really exist without what follows. The frequency increase as "Radioactivity" draws closer is also one of those little flashes of wry humour that I like about Kraftwerk. The way the pulse slowly builds until the chorus of voices, the synth lines and the phasing kick in is just sublime.

Great choices! I also love the live Radioactivity with the "Sellafield 2" speech.

It's an obvious one but it's also a fucking hell of a start

Some more obvious ones from my early teenage years as a rock fan

Now this one is more a visual intro than a musical one, but fucking Lemmy man, what a miss he is :(  However apart from the amazing intro this version of Heroes is second only to any David Bowie one.

So many good ones mentioned (Mr Blue sky has an utterly perfect opening and is probably my favourite) but I have a couple of others that deserve mentions

Sabbath had so many good riffs opening their songs but for me this is the colossus - such a ballsy way for a band to introduce themselves with their first ever track

And this is an odd one as it is a transition from one song to another but another rain motif :D

I love the simplicity of this one , drawing you in before revealing the complexity and majesty of the full track

love this one too

I'll stop there as I could go on and on and on

I'm a big fan of anything that kicks the doors down and would make you abandon your drink for the dancefloor immediately:

Both very simple. Both make me want to break things in a very positive way. Just instant statement of intent, no fucking about.

And while I understand that Winston Churchill isn't to be revered the way some in politics and journalism would have you do his "fight them on the beaches" shtick is an intrinsic part of seeing Iron Maiden live. When you hear that intro tape the hairs on your arms are up, you can't stand still and you know your neck is about to get wrecked

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all got the wrong Guns 'n' Roses intro.  It's clearly "Paradise City", up until Axl blows the whistle and... bang!

And this one, albeit shortened in this version.  Nothing like playing it on those new fangled CD players and then it builds and builds and builds until that immortal riff kicks in.

From indie discos in the 90s I'd have to say Starsign, Teenage Fanclub

Honourable mention for Gene Clark by the same band. 

Also, I've always had a soft spot for Olympian by Gene, which is essentially a 2 minute intro into a chorus that can only be described as "singalong". 

For me, the purpose of a great intro is to transport you away from the real world, into the universe of the song, and generate excitement for not only what's happening, but what's to come. In this, both these effects happen instantly, in a fraction of a second. Instantly transporting, instantly recognizable, and even has a good old-fashioned glam rock "Hey" in there, all in the first 27 seconds. It's literally made of hooks, each better than the last.