IGNORED

Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022

mdn2

4 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

It did tell you, very early on. And you, like me, skimmed it or just didn't register it properly at the time. Also like my son, who sent me a WhatsApp asking how to evolve Pokémon, when I hadn't worked it out yet 

Thankfully, I watched a friend of mine start their stream and saw the bit we'd ignored. From that, I was then also able to find out why my Luxio didn't have Ice Fang despite me buying it from the tutor! 

I must have also missed this - what did it tell me?

I like that Evolution is now optional for those who either prefer a Pokémon at a certain evolutionary stage or want to use the faster move learning track (which I presume is still there) that the earlier evolutions have.

I'm not quite as sold on the learning new moves also being optional though.  While it's great that you aren't constantly badgering into replacing moves & and earlier moves can never be permanently forgotten, it's also easy to miss what new moves a Mon has learned without manually checking.

I’m done for now,

credits have rolled, I’ve caught all the legendaries, including the couple you get for having played Sword / Shield & Diamond / Pearl, up to 7 star ranking and have a couple of boxes full of Alphas,

Only thing I’m really missing is any shiny Pokémon (except Ponyta) but I find them incredibly difficult to spot being colourblind so I’ve probably passed loads of them, I wish the bloody glowed or something!

I’ll come back at some point and finish the Dex. Would love to see a DLC with maybe a couple of new areas and an introduction of the National Pokédex bringing in hundreds more Pokémon, not sure how they’d do it story-wise though, maybe they all fell through a big rift or something?

Anyway very much enjoyed considering I held no hopes for this being decent.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

I’ll come back at some point and finish the Dex. Would love to see a DLC with maybe a couple of new areas and an introduction of the National Pokédex bringing in hundreds more Pokémon, not sure how they’d do it story-wise though, maybe they all fell through a big rift or something?

Spoiler

According to rumors, the plans for DLC include about 100 extra monsters being added after release so you may get your wish!

I somehow managed to catch a level 60ish alpha Whiscash without even realising, just at the point I thought I was going to struggle with some battles.

I think I'd just been jumping out of the water and throwing pokeballs at whatever was closest in the hope of catching something unaware, wasn't until I handed in the survey results that I spotted it.

Is there any kind of pattern to the Space-Time distortions? Like appearing in areas one after the other in a sequence or after a certain amount of time spent in an area?  They’re still a bit much for my team to handle without heavy losses, but I find them great for run & grab raids on the back of Wyrdeer.

Been enjoying this more than I thought I would. I checked my game time and it's double what I thought it was and I think it's just cause I've spent a lot of time chilling in the areas catching stuff. Sneaking around stalking pokemon in long grass is super fun still, even over and over again. The main quest feels like it intrudes on your freedom a lot (the old multiple conversations each separated by walking 10 paces is as annoying as it always is -  bless you Game Freak), but that seems to get better the further you get. And yeah it's not the best looking game ever - although the pokemon models and animations are all pretty good I think. But overall it's pretty fun!

I am struggling with this. I am still pretty early on in the game. I think I need to increase my level as per the mission parameters but cant find any new pokemon to catch - its the same old ones everywhere. When I finish a fight I get a "can evolve" message- but how on earth do I do that?

I feel that it did a poor job of explaining things. I tried to google some general tips but that isn't helping.

The icon on the world that shows you where to go points me back towards the village and then to the (mayors maybe- I'm not sure) office but I cant do much when I get there and cant progress the story on (presumably until I've gone up a level) 

Can anyone offer any advice?

You’ll find new Pokémon the further out you explore. The time of day and weather will also affect spawns. 

To evolve, press up on the d-pad to see your inventory and battle party, select the Mon with the flashing yellow icon and choose Evolve. 

There are two types of quest indicators — press – to open your map and you can manage whether your quest marker is displaying a story destination or a side quest (Request) marker. If there is no destination above or below you in the town hall, speaks to the lady in blue sat at the eldest opposite the main door. She increased your star rank, which opens up new areas. 

11 minutes ago, sandman said:

I am struggling with this. I am still pretty early on in the game. I think I need to increase my level as per the mission parameters but cant find any new pokemon to catch - its the same old ones everywhere. When I finish a fight I get a "can evolve" message- but how on earth do I do that?

I feel that it did a poor job of explaining things. I tried to google some general tips but that isn't helping.

The icon on the world that shows you where to go points me back towards the village and then to the (mayors maybe- I'm not sure) office but I cant do much when I get there and cant progress the story on (presumably until I've gone up a level) 

I don't think there are any level restrictions, or if there are I've never run into one and I've not been grinding.

When you say the quest marker takes you to the "mayors office", do you just mean the building or a particular office inside? Don't forget to check up and down once you're in, as there are important rooms above and below the ground floor. There may be an icon above or below you.

To evolve your Pokemon, just highlight them in your bag and hit X, or A followed by "evolve" from the usual menu.

Have you been making sure to talk to the professor to get the research points added after you've caught/battled some pokemon out in the field? Once you reach enough research points to go up a level, he should tell you to go speak to Cyllene.

Also if you think you've missed or pressed 'A' on any of the tutorial popups too quickly, press up to access the satchel then Zr to the 4th tab. There's a 'Survey Tips' option which will allow you to check them all again.

15 minutes ago, Squigs said:

Have you been making sure to talk to the professor to get the research points added after you've caught/battled some pokemon out in the field? Once you reach enough research points to go up a level, he should tell you to go speak to Cyllene.

Also if you think you've missed or pressed 'A' on any of the tutorial popups too quickly, press up to access the satchel then Zr to the 4th tab. There's a 'Survey Tips' option which will allow you to check them all again.

Yeah - I have been doing that. It still seems to be taking ages to go up a level!

Thanks for the replies!

Are you doing extra tasks to 'complete' the Pokédex pages? You can check what tasks are available for each Pokémon by focussing on them with ZL and pressing down on the d-pad. One tip that I don't think is mentioned anywhere in-game, the tasks with the red ribbon marker beside them count as double in terms of the points needed to complete the pages, not sure if they also award more research points from the Professor.

Only other thing I can think of is go catch a bunch of Wurmple and level/evolve them as the different forms should bag you a decent amount of research points.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Though it didn't occur I did wonder if you might be limited to moving to the next area until you had reached a higher research level as the woman downstairs always say's oh you are at such and such a level so you can go to area X and then it would open up for me so you may well be right. That said I never had any issues with levelling up in line with the game so the odds are you aren't completing or closing out pokedex entries if you are just seeing the same pokemon everywhere.

What you need to look at is each pokemon in the pokedex and look at entries that you need to complete, aim to complete 10 for each pokemon and that closes out a pokemon entry and nets you some additional research points. In addition, note that you will see different pokemon at night as well so bear that in mind. My suggestion would be wonder the areas you have available, when you see a pokemon, sneak up on them and press the button to target them followed by down on the d pad and that will bring up the pokedex entry for them and show you things you can do in order to get research points.

Also the giant rocks can be broken by any pokemon, you may find there are additional areas in the one's you have just past these giant rocks. You might find there are more pokemon there.

Spoiler

What you need to look at is each pokemon in the pokedex and look at entries that you need to complete, aim to complete 10 for each pokemon and that closes out a pokemon entry and nets you some additional research points

It's worth mentioning that if a row has red marker to the left every tick on that row counts as two

I’m genuinely surprised that people are having issues with the UI, especially evolving and mission tracking. I think it’s all very slick and intuitive (apart from top tab navigation using ZL/ZR… that’s madness). It’s a really complex system and they’ve done a brilliant job with the UX and UI in general. 

Also HUGE shout out to the VFX team. The attacks and the evolve animations are incredible. Trading is also hilariously over the top. Make sure you try it out at least once. 

5 hours ago, sandman said:

I feel that it did a poor job of explaining things.

It did a perfectly good job. You, like many of us, just didn't pay proper attention when the game was tutorialing.

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

I did wonder if you might be limited to moving to the next area until you had reached a higher research level as the woman downstairs always say's oh you are at such and such a level so you can go to area X and then it would open up for me

The only way to open the next area is to quell the frenzied noble in the current area. As much as I would have loved the whole world to be fully open and just allowed to explore freely from the start, that isn't possible. Your star level has no bearing on where you can go.

5 hours ago, sandman said:

You probably need to speak to the Commander, on the top floor. He is the one that dishes out the frenzied noble quests.

5 hours ago, Luseth said:

In addition, note that you will see different pokemon at night as well so bear that in mind.

If this is true someone needs to tell my game because it's Drifloon, Drifloon, Drifloon, Drifloon, Drifloon, Drifloon...