IGNORED

Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022

mdn2

Diamond and Pearl clan trailer:

In addition to being home to the Galaxy Expedition Team, two other groups reside in the Hisui region: the diamond clan and the pearl clan.

The people of the diamond clan often speak of the importance of cherishing the present and living in the moment with one’s allies. On the other hand, members of the pearl clan frequently advocate the importance of valuing the vast, spacious land shared with others.

Although the diamond clan and pearl clan disagree on many of their beliefs, they seem to nevertheless share many similarities. Both clans don clothing designed to resemble certain pokémon, and both pay respects to special pokémon they call lords and ladies—or collectively, noble Pokémon. Moreover, both clans have wardens who serve these special pokémon.

The Young Leaders in Charge of the Diamond and Pearl Clans

Adaman serves as the leader of the diamond clan and has a leafeon as his partner pokémon.
This daring young man hates to see time go to waste and likes to rush forward without worrying too much about particulars.

Irida serves as the leader of the pearl clan, and her partner pokémon is a glaceon.
As a leader, she feels it is important to have the courage to face the vast Hisui region. Though she is suspicious when first meeting people, she will slowly come to trust the player thanks to the help they provide in quelling the noble Pokémon.

A group of merchants known as the Ginkgo Guild also operates in the Hisui region. Not native to Hisui, members of the Ginkgo Guild travel around the various locations of the region, selling the wares they have gathered.

Add the mythical pokémon Darkrai to your team in Pokémon Legends: Arceus !
Players with play records from the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond or Pokémon Shining Pearl games will be able to take on a research request in Pokémon Legends: Arceus that will lead to an encounter with the mythical pokémon Darkrai. They will also be able to claim the Modern Team Galactic Set.

It’s said that Darkrai is active during nights of the new moon and that it can lull people to sleep and make them have nightmares.

• 3 weeks later...

New 6 minute BOTW style trailer (even the music!).

It’s in remarkably better stead than the first reveal but world still looks so empty. Cut and pasted vegetation and nothing but pokemon using what looks like older character models sprinkled on top.

It’s pretty mind blowing that they obviously didn’t call in Monolith or Nintendo to help them make something a little less artificial looking. It’s even more mind blowing that they continue to churn out such basic looking games despite developing for a single platform and being the highest grossing entertainment franchise in the world.

Pokémon Legends commercial:

It's not looking promising is it? Even this new ad makes it look like it's still using placeholder graphics :(

On paper it sounded like the best thing ever to happen to the series, but the execution looks like it leaves a lot to be desired...

2 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I think Nintendo will cancel this fan mod when they find out about it 

I spat my pork Scratchings out laughing at this. What? Is that not a normal nighttime snack? I need help.

But not as much help as this needs. It is a real shame. I am not BOTWs biggest fan, but it does have experimentation built into the loop, yet I feel this is missing that. Honestly though, I could be wrong and it might be just what the Pokémon fan community are after.

Reading the YouTube comments is interesting. They are filled with people explaining how, in the Pokémon world there would not be many trainers and it would be vast landscapes filled with Pokémon. Which is cool I guess.

I think MHW nailed what Pokémon should be doing, and built levels that were not too open, had a tonne of verticality, and the game has pathways that they were interesting to navigate. 

Saying that, if the world is as big as breath of the wild, has caves/dungeons with secret Pokémon... Could be a very cool experience. 

I don't have high hopes, but I am still holding out hope it has those kind of moments, which may make it very cool! 

Sorry for waffling! 

On 07/01/2022 at 14:14, Strafe said:

New 6 minute BOTW style trailer (even the music!).

It’s in remarkably better stead than the first reveal but world still looks so empty. Cut and pasted vegetation and nothing but pokemon using what looks like older character models sprinkled on top.

It’s pretty mind blowing that they obviously didn’t call in Monolith or Nintendo to help them make something a little less artificial looking. It’s even more mind blowing that they continue to churn out such basic looking games despite developing for a single platform and being the highest grossing entertainment franchise in the world.

It’s late and I might be tired but it looks like this latest trailer is even jankier than the one above. Not being able to run something like that at 30fps is…interesting.

I read that up to and including Sword and Shield they were still using the same base engine as Let’s Go. This might be the same again because why would they bother spending the money.

On 07/01/2022 at 15:01, shirubagan said:

They should have used the New Pokémon Snap engine. This looks so basic, it's embarrassing.

Day one, obviously.

Played a lot of New Pokemon Snap last week during covid isolation, really enjoyable and looked lovely. Shame this doesn't look as good from a graphical point but I'll likely still get it and enjoy it. 

It's all internal politics I suppose. Legends being a mainline game implies that it's been developed by Gamefreak alone, using their own engine. Snap being a sidestory game, and traditionally given to a third party developer using their own engine. 

I agree they should have used the UE based Snap engine instead. Would've made it one hell of a new game.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

The game seems to be in the wild now so hopefully we will get some proper impressions soon.

Noice. Share them if you see them, this is a really uncertain release. 

7 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

PoryLeeks' twitter is where it's at if you're interested.

Spoilers obviously.

I had a quick peek and this seems like an awful source for impressions, in that if there are impressions, they're buried in lists of spoiler facts like which Pokemon you get, their evolutions with pics, and so on. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonLegendsArceus/comments/s86uhl/summary_of_the_game_so_far_including_early_game/

Mainly things that we already knew from the trailer as they are still pretty early in the game but thought a few bits were new.

One good / bad for me.

Spoiler

Annoying - no boxes so it sounds like you have to keep returning to the ranch to swap Pokemon?

Good - Pokemon can only know four moves at a time but it looks like you can change the moveset around and swap in / out old moves.