IGNORED

Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022

mdn2

Nobody's talking about how this feels like a GameCube/PS2 era game - and I mean that in the best way possible. All the potential budget/time/skill constraints of the devs has resulted in a clean sparse world with basic textures but splashes of hi-res in characters and Pokemon, fade outs to audio only actions that'd be animated today, text only speech, music over everything... and more. It's charming. It feels of that time but with more modern mechanics and higher resolution. 

I have had a good few hours on this and I am absolutely loving it.

yes the visuals has some issues but its charming, incredibly relaxing to play, the open world feel is something the series should have tried much earlier.

There are moments of oh shit when an alpha attacks you but it genuinely feels like you are a pokemon trainer in the way the games have always tried to, the sense of exploration and discovering pokemon, learning all you can about them.

I can see this being a game I keep coming back to and my daughter loves watching jt (she is a pikachu fan)

I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 as the visuals do let it down a little. The fact it is so colourful and vibrant helps to offset it somewhat though so its not a huge issue.

This is completely brilliant so far. The world is interesting and the pokemon feel much more like actual creatures. I love the touch that normal people are terrified of them; if you like in a world where spiders can be 5 foot long and might breathe fire you'd be insane not to be.

Playing some more this morning and think it’s great. The wild Pokémon can actually pose a challenge and are likely to one-shot you if around the same level (Types obviously playing a part in that).  

One Noble Beast down, Christmas horse unlocked, just hit 3 Star tank and on my way to the second Noble beast. Requests are coming in from all over the place, so there seems like so much to do. 

Getting more and more BotW vibes from it the more I play, not just from the open world, but especially in the music and the UI. 

I love how they let the music ebb away and rely on the sounds of nature. 

It's the most nostalgic non-remaster I've played on release. It'd better not be a one off. 

4 hours ago, R0b said:

I love how they let the music ebb away and rely on the sounds of nature. 

It's the most nostalgic non-remaster I've played on release. It'd better not be a one off. 

There's some remixes from Diamond and Pearl in there and they're beautifully done

17 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Post pix plz. 

Are they just visible in the over world like in Let’s Go?

I've no idea how to take pics off the Switch so here's a generic googled picture

pokemon-legends-arceus-shiny-shinx.jpg

And yeah it spawned in with a notable shower of sparkles and was then just there to capture/battle.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I've just got Sword cheap but I'm getting the magpies for this. I could chop the Sword I got for more than I paid for it at CEX plus some other bits (when they get a second hand Arceus in) so do I invest time into Sword or wait? 

I’d keep hold of Sword. You might want to play a more trad Pokémon after you get to play Legends Arceus. Or you might like to play a trad Pokémon first to build excitement. Plus apparently you get some extras in Legends Arceus if you have a Sword/Shield save file on your Switch.

(NB I might be biased as I still regret selling on my GB/GBC and DS Pokémon games.)

42 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I've just got Sword cheap but I'm getting the magpies for this. I could chop the Sword I got for more than I paid for it at CEX plus some other bits (when they get a second hand Arceus in) so do I invest time into Sword or wait? 

Tricky. This is very different and good but I think Sword is special too: it's A Pokemon game set in a fictional England, directed by a Brit (?!) Green fields, Pokemon sheep and foxes and badgers and wellies everywhere. Worth. 

2 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

Is there a way to release a lot of pokémon at once? Doing it one at a time is a chore.

Also the jubilife music is annoying 

yeah that ability unlocks later 

58 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

That British guy was art director. I was telling my sister about him the other day. We both agreed he’s a lucky bastard with a fucking dream job.

Absolutely. Ofc their roles are different over there e.g. their game producers are our game directors and their directors are something else and his accounts have been of influence far beyond the art style and... argh, that's me confused. I'm sure i used the wrong word. 

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

I've no idea how to take pics off the Switch so here's a generic googled picture

pokemon-legends-arceus-shiny-shinx.jpg

And yeah it spawned in with a notable shower of sparkles and was then just there to capture/battle.

Oh, I know what they look like, I just don’t know how they appear in the game world.