IGNORED

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl - Out Now

ryodi

It looks really good and I'm glad they haven't Pokemon Let's Go'd it. But like the ORAS remakes they've taken the worst version of the games as a base, Platinum was so much better than the original base games. 

1 minute ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Why wouldn’t they put this in the recent Direct?

Because the Pokémon Company decide when they want to show their stuff, not Nintendo. And today is the 25th anniversary of the first Pokémon games so they wanted to reveal it here.

I don't know how I feel about the graphical style. I'm partially glad that they haven't tried to emulate it in the style of Sword & Shield and retain something of the aesthetic of the originals, however it looks really sterile and rigid compared to something like Link's Awakening.

On 27/02/2021 at 15:53, Cheyenne said:

I don't know how I feel about the graphical style. I'm partially glad that they haven't tried to emulate it in the style of Sword & Shield and retain something of the aesthetic of the originals, however it looks really sterile and rigid compared to something like Link's Awakening.

That's what I was hoping for. I've learned to keep my expectations at the bare minimum with Pokémon games though.

• 2 months later...
On 26/05/2021 at 16:40, carlospie said:

Of all the Pokémon games this one was the worst so a remake will do it the world of good.

Conversely this was the game that brought me out of my Pokemon dark years. Horses for courses; it's a bit like your favourite FF or Zelda I think.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Available to preorder at the Nintendo store

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en_gb/games/shop-by-franchise/pokemon/

£99.99 for the double pack and it doesn’t even include a steel book like the Sword / Shield double pack did.

£84 at various other retailers like Shopto.

EDIT: £82.85 now: https://www.shopto.net/en/swpo31-pokemon-brilliant-diamond-plus-shining-pearl-p1143252/

• 2 months later...

Useful for those who didn't buy Pokemon Ranger back in the day. As with the ORAS remakes this is based on the original release and not the superior third game which is a shame but I'm excited for it. They are also releasing the best looking Switch ever alongside it.

Of the two games shown yesterday, this one looked like a day one purchase to me. Gen 4 with all the quality of life improvements since? Yes please.

And that Switch Lite is dead sexy.

13 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Of the two games shown yesterday, this one looked like a day one purchase to me. Gen 4 with all the quality of life improvements since?

But not the Platinum improvements...? It seems odd they haven't specifically mentioned that.

6 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Wouldn’t expect that after ORAS ignored most of Emerald’s content.

At least the Platinum Dex is included.

Yes but ORAS had a substantial postgame of its own creation.

True, but the Delta episode wasn’t revealed untill closer to the release of the game. 

Besides that, we’ve already seen significant changes to the content of these remakes. The underground being expanded significantly being the biggest so far.

I’ve mentioned in other places though it seems odd they do these Directs and continuously fail to appeal to the hardcore fans that watch them. It’s much more interesting to see details about postgame - for a remake especially - than it is decorating your underground hideout to attract a Houndoom.

Pokemon isn't Smash, they don't care about the hardcore fans. Pokemon Directs and advertising is always aimed at the next generation for who it will be their first game and are excited by the decorating of Pokeballs, outfits and all of the other for us shallow details in the trailer. Only the hardcore care about the postgame before the game is released and they are going to buy it anyway so why waste time showing it.

This is the DS Lite edition the new Lite is based on

nintendo-ds-lite-pokemon-diamond-pearl.jpg.ad3fc51cfb6a11abd13a403b77cbb477.jpg

Exactly the same design and they don't even give you a carry case. 

• 1 month later...

It's been 18 years since I last gave a Pokemon game a fair chance (Sapphire), so I'll be jumping in again with either one of these, this time with my little boy (who loves all the stuff on Netflix). They look lush.

Which one are people opting for? We'll get the lesser represented one.

On 20/08/2021 at 22:31, ryodi said:

Pokemon isn't Smash, they don't care about the hardcore fans. Pokemon Directs and advertising is always aimed at the next generation for who it will be their first game and are excited by the decorating of Pokeballs, outfits and all of the other for us shallow details in the trailer. Only the hardcore care about the postgame before the game is released and they are going to buy it anyway so why waste time showing it.

Not really a hardcore player here, but this will be the first set of 'mon games I'll be skipping since I started buying them on the GBA. This remake does nothing for me. Charmless, and looks decidedly worse than the 2D sprites of the lovely NDS originals. 

And people thought the Advance Wars re-boot looked terrible...

• 5 weeks later...

If you get the physical version, half the game is missing and requires a (3GB!) day one patch to restore it.

Cartridge doesn’t include:

Opening titles

End credits

Some animations

Some cut scenes

Pokemon trading

Any end-game content

23 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Please understand, the most successful franchise of all time can't afford a properly sized cart for their cheapo remake.

Sounds more like they hadn't finished the game in time.

The following has been confirmed via Reddit, shamelessy ripped from the Famiboards:

Spoiler

+It's a faithful remake of Diamond & Pearl. No story changes, nor new Pokémon or new forms. Every platinum form is in and accessible.

+The game is made with Unity.

+There is a big day one patch as mentioned earlier.

+Trainers are based on the DP teams (with update movesets), including the Elite Four and Champion, however...

+The VS Seeker item makes its return in this game and you can rematch every trainer in the game, including gym leaders and champions (and they have their Platinum teams when rematching the first time). All gym leaders and champions have three teams (default, Rematch 1 and Rematch 2), with the second Rematch being amongst the strongest fights in the entire series (Cynthia is now the strongest fighter in the Pokémon series with her lvl 88 Garchomp(!!!) matching Red's Pikachu in Gold and Silver).

+Many Pokémon have new idle animations, based on their DP sprites

+Game has been balanced around the exp share, and people playing the game so far have been relatively on par with the gym leaders fights when fighting every trainer on the road.

+Friendship mechanic comes back with the following Pokémon gaining friendship, giving it some luck buffs and EXP boost.

+The original DP HMs are now TMs.

+TMs aren't unlimited anymore, gym leaders give you multiple copies.

+You can still play music notes with badges.

+Every customization option from the original games are there, except for the Letter ball seals you got from catching Unown, and one of the PC wallpapers to remove Charon (a Platinum only character).

+Battle Frontier isn't in, but the Battle Tower has been reworked with more options (but it's unaccessible without the day one patch so no more details). We know Battle Tower has Multi Battles.

+Pal Park has been renamed as Ramanas Park and is now a new post-game area that lets you catch legendaries Pokémon from Gen 1 to 3, with dedicates rooms for each. It is unaccessible at the moment, but the leaked description also imply you will be able to fight trainers from different regions there. In order to access these rooms, you'll have to roam the Underground looking for Slates.

+You can get gifts of Jirachi if you have a SwSh save, and Mew if you have LGPE (quite early in the game).

+National Dex is in, and all 493 first Pokémon are in the game.

+An item called the DS Sounds, similar to the GBA Sounds of HGSS, replaces the soundtrack with the original games one.

+Arceus, Darkrai and Shaymin events are coded in the game but it is unknown at the moment how you access them. Could be post-launch distribution of items.

Arceus is definitely not capturable in the game as it is though, even though his event is in the game.

+Shiny Charm is in.

+None of the pokémon except Jirachi and Mew are shiny locked.

+The QoL improvements from ther recent games (bottle caps, passing down Egg Moves etc.) are in.

The vs seeker coming back and the insane boost to difficulty has made this a day 1 purchase for me (though it always was:P). Day 1 patch be damned. This has turned out to be way more then I ever expected of this remake considering the state of the reveal trailer.

Also, the base game teams has various changes made to the Gym leaders their teams with movesets designed to screw over certain type match-ups. 

• ryodi changed the title to Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl - Out Now