Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl - Out Now

ryodi

Mine arrived earlier and I gave it a 15-minute spin during my lunch break. It's crazy to think that the Link's Awakening remake came out two years ago, and yet this game, which is reaching for a similar aesthetic, looks as basic as it does.  Where's the sense of style or flair?  It doesn't look bad, just lazy and unimaginative even by Pokemon Company standards. I fully realise I am part of the problem, in this regard. 

It's a bit rubbish isn't it. I'm 90 minutes in and have unlocked Mystery Gift but I'm finding it hard to like so far.  The evening sunset effect looks nice in Jubilife City but apart from that it's not a very good looking game and the implementation of the Poketch isn't intuitive at all. Hopefully it gets better the further I get into the game. 

I think at the moment that if I hadn't simply used a voucher on it I'd have a touch of buyer's remorse. But, I already know there's plenty in here to justify the price. No other game comes anywhere near being perfect handheld fodder while my girlfriend watches whatever nonsense she's watching tonight. I can pedal along, birthing Budews to my hearts content while she worries about Sam in Coronation Street.

Also, people are criticising the art style? While obviously not to everyone's taste, it is quite a pretty game. I really liked the water effect on the lake near the start. Poketch is a bit "in your face", to be fair, a smaller size option would be nice!

I must admit I like the art style better now it's in front of me, in handheld mode. I don't think it'll suit being on the big screen mind, and it definitely tries to ape the Link's Awakening look but manages to come off worse. 

It doesn't help that, in my eyes, Gen 4 was probably the weakest. Along with Ruby/Sapphire on the GBA, it's when the games started treading old ground and not adding enough bar gimmicks and 100 new monsters. It's when they stopped pushing the boat technically (the original Gameboy games must have been crammed tight on that cart) and they definitely became iterative instead of revolutionary. I remember Pearl looking inferior to a lot of DS games at the time, and that console had loads of great RPGs so it felt a bit flat. Sinnoh never grabbed me either, and the Gen 3 and 4 monsters are my least favourite, I reckon. 

It's pleasant enough though. It definitely feels like the GBA/DS era titles updated though - it feels retro whereas the Gen 3 remakes felt like they had brought those up to what the current standard was (i.e the X/Y engine). 

But retro Pokémon isn't too bad, given that the modern games have stripped away some of the difficulty and old school RPG-ness. 

And like others have said, it's a good game to have on when the TV is playing in the background, or sitting on the sofa while your partner watches something. It's fairly inoffensive in terms of the surprising or innovative things it does, but the main core of catching and training monsters is eternally compelling, no matter if it is something we've done a dozen times now.  

I'm a few more hours in now and I'm starting to around to it. It's nice to play a Pokemon game without the awful Wild Areas and Raid battles that Sw/Sh suffer from and having a rival who is a dick as is traditional in the games instead of the relentlessly positive friend you get in more recent games. My main complaint now is how woolly the character movement is with the d-pad, main characters in Pokemon games usually control better. 

• ryodi changed the title to Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl - Out Now

It's genuinely fucking scary the effect this has on kids. My four year old is utterly obsessed with it. He only gets an hour of screen time each day and he's pumping all 90 minutes of it into this.

Personally, I've only ever tried Sapphire before, and a touch of Emerald. It feels good to have a next-gen iteration of something not too far removed from those games.

My main complaint is how the 'Pokemon' menu option jitters out of view, whereas the others transition smoothly. Why hasn't that been noticed? Get it fixed, you bellends!

I’m really enjoying this. I like the art style a lot, I much prefer the classic top down perspective to the more 3D look since X and Y. I like the chibi characters a lot, and overall I’m really fond of the presentation. 

I love Diamond and Pearl. I played a tonne of gen 1 and 2 as a kid, but I was never very fond of Ruby and Sappphire. Gen 4 came out right after my son was born so I had a lot of time and played them loads. I’ve got a lot of nostalgia for these games and getting to play them again with beautiful new graphics on my Switch is wonderful. Doesn’t hurt that my now 14 year old son is playing through Diamond while I play Pearl. 

Where can I find tech/meths on team building/synergies and move selection? My Judo instructor is playing this as a seasoned Pokémon player and, like me, he’s one of those that isn’t happy unless he’s winning all the time. I’m concentrating on completing the main story first, but if I can get an idea of what to build along the way it’d save me a bit of time/grind later on.

Yeah, I know, typical 40 year-old male behaviour. 😅

17 hours ago, Fallows said:

It's genuinely fucking scary the effect this has on kids. My four year old is utterly obsessed with it. He only gets an hour of screen time each day and he's pumping all 90 minutes of it into this.

Are those Martian hours? :P

As always happens with these games, when I do know someone who plays it I invariably play it less than them, and so get humped in battle.  I don't think there's a way to equalise the levels in online play, is there?

Sorry this is a bit OT but this is the Active pokemon thread, I’ve not played for years (probably Ruby/Sapphire or a remake ) but have got the itch. Ignoring prices/deals what would you considered best? Sword/Shield, Let’s Go or one of these?

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Sorry this is a bit OT but this is the Active pokemon thread, I’ve not played for years (probably Ruby/Sapphire or a remake ) but have got the itch. Ignoring prices/deals what would you considered best? Sword/Shield, Let’s Go or one of these?

If you can find any of them really cheap, get that one. If you think you're likely to care at all beyond the Elite 4, or do any kind of team-building, then get SwSh.

I demolished Let’s Go Eevee and enjoyed every moment; Sword I had to force myself to finish. This one is fine, but it’s slow going so far. It might be nostalgia for the original Red/Blue, series fatigue (3 trad Pokémon games in 3 years) or both, but Let’s Go was best for me. It definitely has the best music!

15 hours ago, Hexx said:

I reckon one of these. It’s simply old school Pokémon without the cack.

I know it’s not really a hindrance due to what kind of game it is, but are there any valid reasons why this isn’t running at 60fps, besides the fact it’s been outsourced? It’s usually a constant 30 but it’s dipping into the 20s around the swamp city region.

8 hours ago, Fallows said:

I know it’s not really a hindrance due to what kind of game it is, but are there any valid reasons why this isn’t running at 60fps, besides the fact it’s been outsourced? It’s usually a constant 30 but it’s dipping into the 20s around the swamp city region.

Unity?

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Exp Share is a broken feature

As a Pokémon casual I'm loving it. It means I don't have to go back and mindlessly grind for hours once I hit a brick/elemental wall. I generally love grinding and random battles in 30 minute stints as I have a huge soft spot for retro RPGs, but not when it's just mash 'A' non-stop for hours. Pokémon has traditionally been the worst for this, and essentially why I gave up on Sapphire and later Emerald after forcing myself to try liking them.

I'm really surprised not surprised regarding the amount of flack this is getting from certain places. Random battles and exploitable XP being the main culprits. A NintendoLife 6/10. 😅

Me and my boy are loving it, so that's the main thing. The look on his face each time a random battle pops is priceless, as he's hoping to be surprised by something new/rare.

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

As a Pokémon casual I'm loving it. It means I don't have to go back and mindlessly grind for hours once I hit a brick/elemental wall. I generally love grinding and random battles in 30 minute stints as I have a huge soft spot for retro RPGs, but not when it's just mash 'A' non-stop for hours. Pokémon has traditionally been the worst for this, and essentially why I gave up on Sapphire and later Emerald after forcing myself to try liking them.

I'm really surprised not surprised regarding the amount of flack this is getting from certain places. Random battles and exploitable XP being the main culprits. A NintendoLife 6/10. 😅

Me and my boy are loving it, so that's the main thing. The look on his face each time a random battle pops is priceless, as he's hoping to be surprised by something new/rare.

It's mostly the fact they've got the values/weightings massively. On the way to second gym (without any grinding/hunting etc in existing areas, although I've done all battles for money) and my entire team is so over levelled the games a cake walk

That's usually my experience with these games, though. Cake walk up to half-way through the game and then hit a wall because my chosen type can't progress, then go back and painfully grind with something else.

My son got his first gym badge last night, but only after having to go back out and hunt a Machop to take out the rock types in there. Rollout spam was absolutely hammering his Chimchar, and the less said about watching his Geodude and Onix struggle with rock vs. rock the better... 😪

I like the EXP share, it's actually encouraged me to mix up my team a lot more. Yes, I'm slaughtering any NPC (apart from those kids with Charge Beam Abras in the school ...) but that's fine. I'm not playing this for a challenge, it's my thought free grind-game.

If you do think EXP share is making it easy, I suppose you could always limit how many you have in your team at any given time? Yes, that makes for busy-work, but my Magikarp has hit level 18 without once being in a battle. The time saved on that is priceless!

6 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

If you do think EXP share is making it easy, I suppose you could always limit how many you have in your team at any given time?

Exactly this. It's not like the EXP spreads across everything stored in the boxes. As they're party members it's totally logical that they get experience, even if they're only benched most of the time.

Maybe it could have been toned down a bit?

I think EXP share is probably a little strong, maybe 10-20% less sharing would make the game a little more on edge in terms of your team average level vs NPC team levels. But I appreciate not having the grind. I suspect that if you build a team with coverage from the start it’s never actually all that tough. My team is over levelled due to EXP Share but if it was more even there would still only be a small number of tricky fights I think.

14 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Can't recommend Let's Go to be honest. Hated the fact that you gain most of your exp by way of catching pokemon rather then battling. Either get Sw/Sh or these games.

Meanwhile I think the Let’s Go model was a real breath of fresh air. Being able to see every overworld Pokémon (so no random encounters) and the speed of catching rather than battling was amazing. No wild Pokémon fight has ever been actually fun has it. The 100th murk row of the day isn’t a challenge, or fun, or variable in any way. So in the end I like Let’s Go because it requires no grinding and when you do need or want to encounter stuff it’s fast.

My play through has hit a brick wall for a few days. Having ground out shiny MewTwo in Let’s Go I feel the need to do it with Dialga in this. Much longer odds here. I’ve soft reset 479 times so far.

Although the Switch is the greatest machine ever to do this on. It’s a one handed, single joy con operation. Detached joy come, console propped on kickstand on table, R on right joy con bound to ‘up’. Now I can interact with things (system and game), reset the game and walk forwards all with the right joy con.