Jackie Chan

Marlew

I freaking love all these movies, and have very fond memories watching either my (chewed up) VHS tapes, or a late night showing on Channel 4 of these with my dad. One thing I really do miss are the older dubs these used to have - they were hilariously bad, but made the movies so much more enjoyable. Drunken Master was a hoot with some of the old dubs ("a fart for the Stick King..."). :lol:

Similarly, Dragons Forever, Project A 1&2, Snake in Eagles Shadow, Dragon Lord, they all had some brilliant quotes. Does anyone have any idea about where to get these older dubbed versions from? The newer re-dubbed versions are just so flat in comparison... :(

23 minutes ago, CheekyMonkey said:

I freaking love all these movies, and have very fond memories watching either my (chewed up) VHS tapes, or a late night showing on Channel 4 of these with my dad. One thing I really do miss are the older dubs these used to have - they were hilariously bad, but made the movies so much more enjoyable. Drunken Master was a hoot with some of the old dubs ("a fart for the Stick King..."). :lol:

Similarly, Dragons Forever, Project A 1&2, Snake in Eagles Shadow, Dragon Lord, they all had some brilliant quotes. Does anyone have any idea about where to get these older dubbed versions from? The newer re-dubbed versions are just so flat in comparison... :(

Actually looking at these Eureka releases - do they have original english dubs?

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

@Camel That's correct. I've been buying the blu-rays rather than streaming.

Physical media? Yeah, right. Next you'll be telling me I can go to a 'shop' to buy it too, instead of clicking buttons until someone arrives at my front door with it.

No Jackie, but thanks to this thread I poked about on Prime a bit more and found The Sword Stained With Royal Blood in its original language, watched it and oh my, it's excellent. 

9 hours ago, CheekyMonkey said:

Actually looking at these Eureka releases - do they have original english dubs?

The Eureka release of Police Story has what they call the ‘Police Force Cut’, which sounds like what you’re looking for - it’s a US dub from the mid-eighties with the classic dubbing performance style, with about four people covering the whole cast. 

I'm genuinely pleased to hear that Eureka have preserved those weirdass versions of the films. In a way they are a part of film history, and I lament being unable (or at least it being difficult to find) some of the funny dubbings I've heard over the years. Iron Monkey has been mentioned in this thread, and later DVD releases of it have completely redone the dubs and I think even the music! Feels like that version I originally saw is slowly becoming lost to time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2021 at 23:28, CheekyMonkey said:

Does anyone have any idea about where to get these older dubbed versions from? The newer re-dubbed versions are just so flat in comparison... :(

On 01/03/2021 at 09:34, K said:

The Eureka release of Police Story has what they call the ‘Police Force Cut’, which sounds like what you’re looking for - it’s a US dub from the mid-eighties with the classic dubbing performance style, with about four people covering the whole cast. 

I just watched the Eureka Blu-Ray of Project A Part II (rental from Cinema Paradiso), and as a bonus feature it includes a low-quality copy of "Project A Part II: The Export Cut", with an old dub that's different from the English audio on the main feature:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=310453

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I was thinking of getting the Lucky Stars collection. Any good?

cover.thumb.jpg.0c8d41d76ea6c9c3556690a35187d702.jpg

There is some amazing action in those three but so, so much rubbish. I'd never recommend them in this day and age, just try and find the action sequences on YouTube instead.

There's ten times more 1980's terrible HK comedy actors than the Three Dragons stuff anyone sane would want. 

I’ve got Snake in Eagles Shadow coming through the post today. Never seen it!

I have a vague memory of a Chan film where he’s fighting a white guy and they’re both wearing boxing gloves. The fight is as much about how they seem to dance around each other before landing a blow. Which film is it in? One that’s already been mentioned I’m guessing.

4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I have a vague memory of a Chan film where he’s fighting a white guy and they’re both wearing boxing gloves. The fight is as much about how they seem to dance around each other before landing a blow. Which film is it in? One that’s already been mentioned I’m guessing.

Thats Gorgeous with Brad Allan. 

8 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Actually with you mentioning this it popped in my head I completely forgot that the bad guy from this (Hwang Jang Lee, who like I said, is amazing) is also the bad guy from the first Drunken Master film. I think they both also feature the drunken old master trope character who in both cases is played by Yuen Woo Pings dad. That said, they’re both still different enough that they’re both worth watching and if you haven’t watched the first drunken master and you like snake in the eagles shadow, you won’t be disappointed. Or vice versa, if you liked drunken master you should enjoy this.

Looking on Amazon Prime, I gave City Hunter a go and turned it off after about 20 minutes. Just gratingly awful slapstick ‘comedy’, dreadfully sexist, and he has a weird relationship with his adoptive daughter, who he’s raised from the age of 10 on a vow to his dying buddy. Now she’s an adult he fancies her. 

Gutted his big hits aren’t on the main streaming services, as I know my son would love them. 

I remember thinking Armour of God was amazing when I was about 15. Is it still good?

3 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Looking on Amazon Prime, I gave City Hunter a go and turned it off after about 20 minutes. Just gratingly awful slapstick ‘comedy’, dreadfully sexist, and he has a weird relationship with his adoptive daughter, who he’s raised from the age of 10 on a vow to his dying buddy. Now she’s an adult he fancies her. 

Sounds like you didn't get far enough into it to see

Spoiler

the Street Fighter bit.

I haven't seen City Hunter, but I have seen a clip of that bit!

19 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Gutted his big hits aren’t on the main streaming services, as I know my son would love them. 

I remember thinking Armour of God was amazing when I was about 15. Is it still good?

Some of the stunt work and fights are still really good. And it’s one of the more notable films because it’s the one where he suffered his worst injuries I believe- I’ve seen it noted as “the closest he’s come to actually being killed”. It’s been a bit since I’ve seen it as a whole film, but from memory it’s good overall, but probably the weakest of the films I’ve recommended watching in their entirety.

It’s certainly not one that makes many lists, but I enjoy Jackie Chan’s Thunderbolt a lot - late 90s Motorsport themed action film, which back in the DVD era never got an English language release (I imported it from Germany back in the day and had to try and get by with German subtitles). I recently found some subs online so yarr’d a copy - the subtitles were completely out of sync so I went through and fixed the timing on every single bit of dialogue, using Notepad.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the racing sections had the film sped up to Benny Hill levels to try and make the cars look faster, but it obviously just looks ridiculous. It’s quite a dark one though; there is a section where Jackie’s family have their ‘house’ (lots of portakabins) trashed by bad guys using one of those wrecking ball/electromagnet type thingies and it ends with one of his sisters going catatonic with shock - feel like the father has a heart attack too but I might be confusing that. Anyway, it’s a harsh watch.

8 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Armour of God is still phenomenally good.

13 hours ago, Darwock said:

It’s certainly not one that makes many lists, but I enjoy Jackie Chan’s Thunderbolt a lot - late 90s Motorsport themed action film, which back in the DVD era never got an English language release (I imported it from Germany back in the day and had to try and get by with German subtitles). I recently found some subs online so yarr’d a copy - the subtitles were completely out of sync so I went through and fixed the timing on every single bit of dialogue, using Notepad.

The only thing I don’t like about it is the racing sections had the film sped up to Benny Hill levels to try and make the cars look faster, but it obviously just looks ridiculous. It’s quite a dark one though; there is a section where Jackie’s family have their ‘house’ (lots of portakabins) trashed by bad guys using one of those wrecking ball/electromagnet type thingies and it ends with one of his sisters going catatonic with shock - feel like the father has a heart attack too but I might be confusing that. Anyway, it’s a harsh watch.

I taped this off TV in the early 00's, I think it was on BBC1 strangely enough. Its an on odd one with the daft sped up driving bits. Has an amazing fight between Jackie and Ken Lo/goons in a pachinko arcade. Which I think is one of Jackies most underrated fights. 

On 01/03/2021 at 09:54, Cheyenne said:

I'm genuinely pleased to hear that Eureka have preserved those weirdass versions of the films. In a way they are a part of film history, and I lament being unable (or at least it being difficult to find) some of the funny dubbings I've heard over the years. Iron Monkey has been mentioned in this thread, and later DVD releases of it have completely redone the dubs and I think even the music! Feels like that version I originally saw is slowly becoming lost to time.

It’s a shame that none of the main subscription streaming services see no value in anything other than the vanilla version of a film or series.  It’s the reason I’ve started buying physical media of my favourites.  Original trailers, making of features and deleted scenes will soon be a thing of the past.  Then you have things like Seinfeld’s frozen yogurt episode where they filmed two versions because it was filmed pre election and shown post election so they didn’t know who would be Mayor of New York, and the handicap spot where they re-filmed all of Frank Costanza’s scenes with Jerry Stiller.  If you have the DVDs you can watch every version.

Not really one for his martial arts choreography but I have a soft spot for Little Big Soldier. 

I also like his role in the rebooted Karate Kid - I think he handled that very well with his upsetting past. 

By the way, City hunter is also a film version of a manga (and anime iirc) the majority of the weird shit in it is because that's all in the original. 

No one seems to have mentioned his slightly more recent Robin B Hood which also has a mini reunion in that Yuen Biao is involved again. It's really not that good but it was made during his period of utter bollocks American family movies like spy next door and tuxedo so it was good to see another HK movie at least. 

I also like miracles even though it is a bit light on the action in compared to the big hitters. 

I didn't see much mention of police story 2 and that has the most amazing fight in a playground and a ridiculous bit where he runs across an 8 lane motorway that they didn't actually bother closing. 

On 28/02/2021 at 14:48, Camel said:

I used to love all these as a kid. A friend of mine had loads on VHS - Project A, Armour of God, Police Story plus loads of the classic style like Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, that sort of thing.

When I've tried to watch them more recently, the terrible humour really puts me off. Are there any without that stuff?

Well I've just watched The Young Master and it's brilliant. Time to revisit some of these then I guess.