IGNORED

Favourite racing tracks in driving games...

MattyP

26 minutes ago, deerokus said:

remember getting a lot of enjoyment out of the 'full lap of the island' in Test Drive Unlimited

Totally forgot about this sort of thing, that was such a good location for a game where the environment was naturally bound.

That reminds me that I once did Route 66 in The Crew. Took about 45 minutes in a lambo, was an absolute joy to drive.

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Also the Austrian Redbull Ring Ring (which to my knowledge is only in F1 games, would love to see it in the next Forza)

The Redbull Ring (or A1 Ring as I think of it) is in loads of games.  Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 to name a couple, with the latter having the old Ostereich Ring as well, which is the old 70s circuit that uses bits of the current track.

8 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

The Redbull Ring (or A1 Ring as I think of it) is in loads of games.  Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 to name a couple, with the latter having the old Ostereich Ring as well, which is the old 70s circuit that uses bits of the current track.

It's in the Moto Gp games too. Which seems good but extremely hard to play haha. 

12 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Sweet, I've never tried those 2 games. They're on my list now.

isle of man of course

My personal best time!

The game was a genuine revelation after decades of not playing a racing game that felt so fast (though only 30fps) because of the narrow road and amount of things that whizz by you. I know the track now so it lessens the impact of it, but i remember it feeling like every time you accelerated to top speed not knowing what corner was next felt like racing into the void. And the long nature of the track, that sense of genuinely travelling a distance is another thing i miss (though no game has really excelled at this i did get more of that from late 90s racers) 

F Zero GX - Lightning: Thunder Road

Sega Rally - Desert

Ridge Racer - Short

Rage Racer - Mystical Coast

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Heaven and Hell

F355 - Monza (any racing game)

Forza - Maple Valley

Gran Turismo - Autumn Ring

Outrun 2/2006: Space Shuttle ending

...and tons of others I can't think of right now.

From Forza I really like:

Bernesse Alps

Rio de Janeiro Mountain Circuit

Prague

I love the whopping two in Sega Manx TT Superbike

The Canyon in Out Run 2

There's a track in Gran Turismo 5 that I love playing, but I can't remember the name.  It's quite long and has you driving in quite a tight circle towards the end.

Edit - Cape Ring.

15 hours ago, Kramer said:

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Heaven and Hell

Yes! So many corners for which nothing will do but throwing your car right into it and confident-ing your way out the other side, it's a great test before the game will let you onto the final GP.

It took me 3 goes to get past in my 20th anniversary play through (38:11 if the embed fucks up):

Driller Killer from Micro Machines 2.The best track ever created for local multiplayer.

In realistic games I like Laguna Seca a lot. Didn't stand out to me when I played it first but I think Forza 2, or 3, was the first game I played where they captured what the corkscrew was about and that was transformative. Trying to perfect that section of track was hugely satisfying. 

23 hours ago, Paulando said:

Basically any WipEout track with a vertical drop. Metropia from HD, Omega, and one of the PSP games (iirc), has this vertical drop that goes in on itself. It’s fucking wild. Phantom + 4K + 60fps + HDR + banging choons, and it’s god tier gaming.

It's not nearly as intense, but Empire Climb in 2048 was fun:

dg2jHR.gif

2 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Before the game starts throwing the shortcuts and jumps at you, chucking the car around the corners here is just perfect.

ssprint_screenshot.png

Brilliant. I kinda wish Absolute Drift had a racing mode now I've seen your screen shot.

25 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

It's not nearly as intense, but Empire Climb in 2048 was fun:

dg2jHR.gif

Don’t even remember this! But it looks awesome. I don’t recall playing the 2048 tracks much in Omega so I might have to check this one out again ^_^

10 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Before the game starts throwing the shortcuts and jumps at you, chucking the car around the corners here is just perfect.

ssprint_screenshot.png

Spinning the wheel on that arcade cab and stopping it at the right moment was *chef's kiss* as a young'un.

Also - 2nd page of the thread and we haven't had any Daytona USA representation yet? Heathens!

Also, Sega Rally - Mountain. Nailing that hairpin was glorious in the arcade and Saturn version.

Also, also - Mario Kart - Yoshi Circuit.

Also, also also - Rave Racer - City.