IGNORED

Aliens Fireteam - They mostly come out online, mostly

Harsin

Great fun, tight controls, incredibly realised world and setting, but paper thin 'campaign' and limited replay value. Seems a fair summary.

I'm hopefully missing something but I checked the rifle mods and couldn't see a grenade launcher mod for the Pulse Rifle. Is there genuinely no grenade launcher attachment? One of if not THE most important aspect of the weapon, fully established in Aliens and they have overlooked it? Surely not?!

unless I'm missing something every level is the same formula, I'm currently half way through.

trundle along getting ambushed from time to time, a mid section defend and then another push to the final last and were everything is thrown at you.

Really think they've missed a trick as the core mechanics are great, but stat systems and upgrades mean fuck all if the base game isn't solid enough to warrant replay value.

Im having fun but have no desire whatsoever to repeat any of the missions and as for longevity.... its game over man!

17 minutes ago, Dave White said:

unless I'm missing something every level is the same formula, I'm currently half way through.

trundle along getting ambushed from time to time, a mid section defend and then another push to the final last and were everything is thrown at you.

Really think they've missed a trick as the core mechanics are great, but stat systems and upgrades mean fuck all if the base game isn't solid enough to warrant replay value.

Im having fun but have no desire whatsoever to repeat any of the missions and as for longevity.... its game over man!

How is this any different from Left 4 Dead? I’ve seen the game likened to that a lot and obviously that had a lot of replay value despite the levels not changing, so what is this not doing to make them worth a replay? I’m on the fence about getting it but all this talk of it being one and done, little replay value is putting me off 

I think with all the unlocks and difficulty levels there’s a decent amount of replay.

Also - rep credits vs rep scrip currencies? Am I right in thinking credits for weapons, consumables etc and scrip for cosmetics?

It's a patch or two away from brilliant, in my opinion. Right now it's a little rough, and possibly not quite ready. I picked up some more mods, got my Combat Rating to 191, and tried 1-3 again. This time, the door opened, and I got to the end room before dying. However, I now had enough mods to hit 211. Having since done 1-1 and 1-2 again, I can hit 235. 

Loot = Level

It's so obviously designed for people to grind away online, in-game daily quests give that away. Anyone looking for a good story probably won't be happy, but it's a solid shooter set in a familiar and enjoyable universe. You're going to have to replay over and over, and I hope it reaches critical mass to stick around with Back 4 Blood and Halo Infinite on the way to steal large chunks of its playerbase.

I’ve put about 6 hours in since yesterday so it’s doing something right. I’ve only got to 2-3. There’s not a huge amount of story but there’s plenty of radio chatter to make it feel like you’re exploring and progressing and I’m enjoying the lore loot drops and getting a bit of the expanded universe. If it were a full price release I might be feeling a bit short-changed but for £29 at base it was a bargain and I’ll likely end up trading it in down the line (though the dlc roadmap might sway that when more details are revealed).

I would say:

If you love the film Aliens, you won’t be disappointed. Insta-buy.

if you don’t like Aliens but really like this style of game you’ll probably get on with it.

If you don’t like aliens or this type of game then it’s not going to change your mind and you should avoid.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

How is this any different from Left 4 Dead? I’ve seen the game likened to that a lot and obviously that had a lot of replay value despite the levels not changing, so what is this not doing to make them worth a replay? I’m on the fence about getting it but all this talk of it being one and done, little replay value is putting me off 

I think L4D and L4D2 feel alot more random and more spontaneous, the formula has been exactly the same on every mission and usually the defend aspects  are based on 3 lanes which makes it feel alot more repetitive than it seems.

Also L4D is best in class and this although entertaining doesnt come close after prolonged play.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

That’s fair enough. I watched a review that boiled it down to walk through long corridor, enter combat arena, walk through long corridor, enter combat arena and so on, which does sound repetitive. 

That’s the game,  which is why I mentioned they’ve really fucked the variety with convoluted stat systems and perks which amount to nothing if it’s rinse repeat. 

I do worry XP (at least on standard) is too low. People won’t get to see the best stuff due to slow unlocks 

Daily challenge to kill 300 with heavy weapons. 
Got 244 kills in one mission with  flame thrower. Doesn’t count (assume as they’re technically burning to death) :(

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Daily challenge to kill 300 with heavy weapons. 
Got 244 kills in one mission with  flame thrower. Doesn’t count (assume as they’re technically burning to death)

I assumed my CQC shotgun would count, so you at least didn't mess up as badly as I did. Guess I need to play a couple of rounds as Demolisher.

4 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I assumed my CQC shotgun would count, so you at least didn't mess up as badly as I did. Guess I need to play a couple of rounds as Demolisher.

Yeah it's odd that only the demo has a heavy slot whereas the rest are sent about.

Royal Mail has clearly been nuked from orbit cause I've not had any letters all week (not a joke), so i did what i should've done to begin with: CDKeys > £30.99 for £35 credit > super quick/small PSN download.

I played what I assume we're referring to as 1-1 and 1-2, solo. First as Heavy then as Soldier (can't remember the names).

It seems very one-note as others have mentioned, and also a little too frenetic/messy. But, if it were any slower it'd be too pedestrian aka boring.

Early days i know, and real life coop is clearly gonna be way more fun than A.I. bots getting in my line of fire 100% of the time. I'd prefer a lone wolf mode to be honest.

I'll be about Friday night and Saturday day for coop shenanigans. So, PSN lot, let me know if you're about. 👍

This game is not a great Aliens game. But it's a perfectly serviceable £35 Aliens game that is gleefully happy to make Isolation as much part of the canon as any of the movies, so it's getting a nod of approval.

What is absolutely bollocks is that there is no way to mute Fireteam members so I had to spend 20 minutes in the company of a very shit gamer and his hyperactive 8 year old, and their very loud TV. Boooooo.

Ok this is a very mediocre third person coop shooter, it feels horribly lightweight, Ive been using the pulse rifle and the shotgun and there is zero impact to the gun play. 

Played 4 stages now, and they are totally linear and completely boring. As someone mentioned above walk down corridor, fight set piece. move on , press button , wait for a lift fight. Repeat. 

Parts of the second environment look quite nice Ill give it that. And I enjoy the sound of the pulse rifle.

I am still playing it as... well it has stats and unlocks so has that pull going for it I suppose and its not unplayably bad, it's just very meh.

It should def be cheaper or ideally better. Its not as good for example as the decidedly mediocre World War Z game in the same vein. 

23 minutes ago, Padaxes said:

Ive been using the pulse rifle and the shotgun and there is zero impact to the gun play. 

I’ve used those weapons and found they were rather impactful on the Aliens, who exploded. You might have a bugged copy.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I’ve used those weapons and found they were rather impactful on the Aliens, who exploded. You might have a bugged copy.

lol well yes the game functions, you shoot stuff and it dies, it just doesnt have any weight to it. The gunplay was not satisying, at least not so far.

Initial impressions:

- it's very chaotic, especially when someone is using a flamethrower and you can't see shit

- the guns lack oomph - shocking when you think of how iconic the pulse rifle sounds in the film. The gunfire also cuts out regularly.

- the combat lacks punchiness. It's hard to tell if you're actually hitting anything a lot of the time

Done 1-1 and 1-2 and enjoyed it despite the above but man, how could you mess up the sound of the pulse rifle?