IGNORED

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

What I would love to do with Emulation station is have a quick and simple way of adding a game, say Outrun, which then lists all the versions of every system I have on it. That would be immense!

Not sure how this could be represented onscreen etc

Also, am I correct in saying you currently cannot add games to a defined list while browsing the menus either?

Going to attempt this using my MacBook, currently have on my shopping list:

RaspberryPi 3 (with case)

Power supply

MicroSD card + reader

USB keyboard / mouse (read about SSH but prefer the old fashioned route)

Controller (FC30 :wub: )

HDMI cable

Am I missing anything else obvious? See Ethernet cable mentioned, but having a mental block - do I need this for the initial set-up, or later if I want to add more ROMs?

Any input much appreciated - played on one of these at a recent weekend away and was transfixed by it! Even though I'm a complete knob when it comes to tech, I've convinced myself I won't burn the house down trying to set this up... well, a boy can dream, eh?

Hey Folks, first post in the thread. Been following the thread since day post one, I feel I'm up to speed with some bits and not so with others ! What's the realistic price it's going to cost me for everything I need to get me set up including a 128gb card and one of them lovely controllers ?

I've had a look at starter kits and I'm actually a bit lost as to what I need ! Any help would be much appreciated :)

Edit - This is my current Amazon basket, does everything look ok ? With the SD Card work ? Anything I'm missing ?

IMG_3989.png

You're missing a decent power supply and USB lead. Personally I use the official one, after using (and testing with a multimeter) the many I have around the house the official one is the most reliable and stable.

Here's the official 2.5A supply for the Pi3.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Power-Adapter-Raspberry-Pi/dp/B01CO1HZJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1491490164&sr=1-1&keywords=pi+official+power

I'd also double check you have a decent SD card reader that will support that card and not some cheap reader that will just corrupt it.

1 minute ago, Blu3Flame said:

Micro SD card I don't know, but I have a Kingston MobileLite G3 and it's been a great reliable reader.

The latest model (the G4) is available here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer-Memory-Card-Accessories/Kingston-MobileLite-USB-Multi-Reader-Black-Grey/B00KX4TORI

Do you use the smaller 64gb card @Blu3Flame ? I was fairly unsure which to go for myself if I'm honest

24 minutes ago, kernow said:

Bought a 64GB micro-sd in town today and I'm looking for the best image for my pi3. Anyone got any suggestions?

Theres the Nachos 64Gb Image in the first thread mate, I've been doing loads and loads of digging over the last few days and decided I'm going to do my own rather than a pre-built one.

On 06/04/2017 at 18:52, Blu3Flame said:

You're missing a decent power supply and USB lead. Personally I use the official one, after using (and testing with a multimeter) the many I have around the house the official one is the most reliable and stable.

Sorry, n00b question, what's the USB lead used for? I didn't add one when ordering my Pi gubbins...

The power? Checked and the one I ordered comes with a micro USB.

I suspect if the average person takes a couple of hours to set up their RetroPie, I should be good by June. 2018.

50 minutes ago, glb said:

I suspect if the average person takes a couple of hours to set up their RetroPie, I should be good by June. 2018.

This is exactly how I feel. I've got masses of questions but I don't want to bombard them on everyone here :lol:

Mine comes today, I did a fair bit of the Downloading last night and have the RetroPi image on my Desktop ready to write to the card.

Manually transferring the games via Wifi seems to be the thing throwing me the most. I'm sure I'll get there

52 minutes ago, glb said:

The issue with the Pi3 is it requires 2.5A 5V and there are very few USB adapters you'll have around the house that support that. Even the ones that say they do can fluctuate when checked against the test points on the Pi.

Another major factor is the quality of the USB lead you're using. A huge number are simply not of good enough quality to carry 2.5A. You'd be surprised in the variance when you're looking at things with a multimeter.

This is why I always recommend the official Pi3 PSU. 

6 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Manually transferring the games via Wifi seems to be the thing throwing me the most. I'm sure I'll get there

If you're on Windows the Pi will just appear on your network in explorer. You can then just drag and drop the games into the provided folders.

Ta @Blu3Flame I'll jump on the official one too (the other one was only £7 so can keep it as back up or if anyone here needs one for nowt let me know via PM)

@CovisGod all the best with the install - looking forward to hearing you got everything set up and going :)

Travelling home next week and planning a chilled first evening at my mum's eating Creme Eggs and breaking technology. Will be like the Simpsons when random items explode.

Edit - thanks to the thread too for all the advice on getting set-up. This place is pretty awesome :wub: 

Well that really was easy as Pi (;)).

All set up and running, looks lovely, plays lovely. So easy to set up it's ridiculous.

Heres a few pics...

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

And I think this is my favourite Pic ever ! Going to give PS1 Games a go next, will report back !

IMG_4013.jpg