The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

11 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Ahh I see, thanks for that. How do I find out what version of mame I’m running? I just downloaded the latest retropie build and made a boot drive with it. Apologies if it’s a daft question, I think my lack of Linux knowledge here is really hindering my progress.

It's easier than you think, you don't really need to worry about that. If you just stick the MAME ROMs in the 'arcade folder', then it should detect them. First time I ran an arcade game, it asked me to choose which emulator to run them on, but I just chose MAME 2003 (I think) and it's worked fine from them on. You don't need to know or use Linux; the closest you ever really get is updating and configuring the emulator through the retroarch menu.

I don't know Linux at all, and I've got on fine.

Is there a decent controller that works out of the box with Pi 3? I've tried connecting my PS4 and Xbone controllers via USB cable and neither of them work. I don't have a PC or keyboard so I can't edit files and things.

I had real issues getting a pre-built Retropie image to recognise controllers over bluetooth, to the extent that I just had to do my own from scratch (which was in fact surprisingly easy, although not if you don’t have access to a PC or a keyboard).

A PS4 controller should work if you just plug it in via USB, though. Is the controller linked to the PS4 (i.e. turned on) when you plug it in?

No, the controller isn't linked to a PS4. I'm just getting a message on the Pi saying "hold a button on your device to configure it", but holding any of the buttons does nothing. It's supposed to be RetroPi 4.4 pre-loaded, but I can't do anything without a working controller :(

50 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Ah, I've sorted it now! The power adaptor wasn't giving enough power once the controller was connected, so I changed the adaptor for a better one, and now it works :)

Yeah I had this when trying to be clever and running the Pi via the USB socket in my telly.  You really need to use the correct power pack plugged into the wall!

On 07/01/2019 at 20:44, Blu3Flame said:

New addition to my desk at work. 

received_375051966603329.jpeg

Nice! I didn’t know they’d done a redesign. The small screen put me off the old one. 

How heavy is it? I’ve a tendency to yank the joystick about loads when playing Street Fighter so I’d need something that’s not going to move around. 

14 hours ago, bm said:

Nice! I want one.

Which image did you use? Anything that runs out of the box, so to speak? (I am terrible at setting things up myself)

I used stock Retropie then ran the Picade's own setup program which gets all the buttons, etc, working.

8 hours ago, Pob said:

Nice! I didn’t know they’d done a redesign. The small screen put me off the old one. 

How heavy is it? I’ve a tendency to yank the joystick about loads when playing Street Fighter so I’d need something that’s not going to move around. 

The screen is the same size on that model as the old one. They redesigned it to make the cabinet more compact.

They do a 10" screen variant as well now though, which essentially completely removes the bezels.

It will move around if you're yanking the joystick.

39 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

The screen is the same size on that model as the old one. They redesigned it to make the cabinet more compact.

They do a 10" screen variant as well now though, which essentially completely removes the bezels.

It will move around if you're yanking the joystick.

Cheers. Yeah, I'd go for the 10" one. The small screen and large bezels on the old one always looked like a compromise - the redesigned model with the 10" screen looks the business. Some rubber feet should help with intense dragon punching sessions I guess. I see you have Alpha 3 on the screen there - how is the stick for SF?

Also, is the Pi itself easy to get in and out once assembled? I'd like to pop it out to use on a TV every now and then.

The stick seems fine, although I don't have anything to reference it against.

It's not that easy to get the Pi out as it's screwed to the base of the Picade and wired into all the buttons. It's not easy to get to the HDMI socket either once it's built.

If you could get it plugged into the TV easily it still wouldn't be ideal as it would be set up for the stick and buttons, as well as the screen resolution of panel. So you'd have to reconfigure everything each time.

Right, I have a 10" one arriving tomorrow. 

I *think* I'll stick to old arcade games rather than going for consoles - I do remember RetroPie being a ballache when I've tried to set things up before, so maybe if I narrow my scope it will all work fine. 

• gospvg changed the title to The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!