The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Note they also do the Picade Console, which is essentially the same thing without a screen. Think they're about £60 at the mo. 

I picked one up on Black Friday when they were closer to £40 and finally put it together the other day. It's pretty damn nice, not to tricky to build and as other people have done here, just grabbed the Retropie image, run the Pimoroni setup which did the buttons and sound in one easy install. 

I like the inbuilt speaker too, makes it feel like playing an arcade cab. Not yet figured out how to turn the volume down :P

If you think you'd spend more time playing on a TV, might be a better option. Plus no screen means cheaper :P

I will likely mod mine with a second USB in for two players, but it's perfectly fine either as played in your lap or on a table from my limited experience.

I got mine here...

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/picade-console

Other vendors are available :) 

Note I had the original Picade too, but the modern one without three separate power supplies looks much better! 

So I built mine last night. The instructional YT vids don't cover the 10 inch screen, so spent about 40 mins being confused. Anyway, the clip holding the ribbon into the screen and driver seems loose, annoyingly. 

Will do some tinkering at the weekend, but at the moment here's mine with the display not working :(

image.thumb.png.5fe71cfd6f212bc052b7b012a98f4a18.png

Well after much hassle, I have it up and running. Am waiting on an "official" power supply which will hopefully sort out the screen turning itself on and off, and then need to find a way to permanently fix the ribbon cable to the drive (the small clip broke). But I got there in the end, I think.

image.thumb.png.b2b49126e717145c77ab40b8de66d92b.png

Lovely little thing, assuming the software setup goes smoothly (the hat wasn't being recognised initially by Emulation Station, then in MAME - but got there in the end). The top of the image is clipped by the cardboard insert - I'm hoping I can find a way to knock down the v-scale on the Pi rather than pull the whole thing apart again, but hey)

Quick Retropie question: how can you change the buttons in emulationstation theme so it used the psx button nomenclature rather than the SNES nomenclature? (Ie press ‘O’ to start a game)

i’m Using a ps2 to USB adapter with a DualShock but it doesn’t look right. The mapping is right though. 

Can't for the life of me get multidisc psx (Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, FFIX & Wild Arms) to display as one entry on emulation station and actually have the game work.

I renamed the .cue files to .CD1 and .CD2 and made an m3u file which was just a text file with just

Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 1).CD1

Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 2).CD2

Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 3).CD3

in it, and it only shows as one entry on my game list, scraped fine, but when I click to play it's just a black screen. I can three-button reset back to the gamelist so it's not like the machine freezes, just the game doesn't load. :(

On 16/01/2019 at 12:44, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can't for the life of me get multidisc psx (Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, FFIX & Wild Arms) to display as one entry on emulation station and actually have the game work.

I renamed the .cue files to .CD1 and .CD2 and made an m3u file which was just a text file with just

Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 1).CD1

Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 2).CD2

Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 3).CD3

in it, and it only shows as one entry on my game list, scraped fine, but when I click to play it's just a black screen. I can three-button reset back to the gamelist so it's not like the machine freezes, just the game doesn't load. :(

I've never figured out multi disc. I just have them as split entries.

Has anyone got any tips for scraping box images for Amiga / C64 games? The built-in scraper seems to have stopped working entirely, and Stephen Selph's scraper doesn't seem to turn up anything for those formats.

18 hours ago, K said:

Has anyone got any tips for scraping box images for Amiga / C64 games? The built-in scraper seems to have stopped working entirely, and Stephen Selph's scraper doesn't seem to turn up anything for those formats.

Have you tried Skyscraper? I’m fairly sure it scraped Amiga when I tested it.

https://github.com/muldjord/skyscraper

On 14/01/2019 at 12:24, bm said:

Well after much hassle, I have it up and running. Am waiting on an "official" power supply which will hopefully sort out the screen turning itself on and off, and then need to find a way to permanently fix the ribbon cable to the drive (the small clip broke). But I got there in the end, I think.

image.thumb.png.b2b49126e717145c77ab40b8de66d92b.png

Lovely little thing, assuming the software setup goes smoothly (the hat wasn't being recognised initially by Emulation Station, then in MAME - but got there in the end). The top of the image is clipped by the cardboard insert - I'm hoping I can find a way to knock down the v-scale on the Pi rather than pull the whole thing apart again, but hey)

Looks great. Was it hard to build?

On 26/01/2019 at 19:01, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Looks great. Was it hard to build?

It was ultimately fine. There are a couple of fiddly bits, but the YouTube video's pretty straight forward. The hassle was worth it, though - I definitely value it more having sworn at the thing a few times. 

55 minutes ago, bm said:

It was ultimately fine. There are a couple of fiddly bits, but the YouTube video's pretty straight forward. The hassle was worth it, though - I definitely value it more having sworn at the thing a few times. 

Thanks man. Good to know. I went for the 10 inch screen version... seems a few people are having issues with it.. did you find a good guide for installing it correctly?

That's the main issue - the YouTube video deviates just for the installation of the screen, which slots in rather than being held by screws. It's a little fiddly - my advice would be to make sure you know where it's going before you take the protective wrapping off all the bits. Also affixing the ribbon cable at the end is a bit of a leap of faith - it pushes in quite firmly into the back of the screen but is  secured to the driver by a fragile clip which you need to lift up with a finger nail. I snapped mine, but actually the ribbon stays in place fine. Just means I can't vigorously shake if if I want to, which I don't.

But if I can do it, anyone can.

Took delivery of my first Pi today courtesy of an Amazon deal this morning and same day delivery. I'd done a bit of pre-planning but am usually doomed to failure with this kind of thing. Amazed to get it up and running so quickly, what an incredible piece of kit. 

Couple of early questions of course if you can indulge me.

- I've installed retropie on the supplied 32gb SD card. This card had NOOBS on it...if I wanted to boot to something other than Retropie, can I do it with what I have or do I need another route?

- surprised there was no PSP emulator on the Retropie build.how can I add one?

cheers!

• gospvg changed the title to The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!