The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

If you've got a full window manager on there, you can quit to the command line from ES (there's a menu option), then run it.

I just have a separate SD card though. There is a NOOBS boot manager so you can choose an OS (either add a new one or choose installed one which to boot) at startup - I haven't used it bar once when I was testing. Depending how it's configured, you hold down shift at startup. https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/2/ might help.

On 02/02/2019 at 18:47, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Ok built - it was fun except for that fucking screen... and looks nice ... but now display doesn’t work. Which is no surprise. I’d recommend getting the 8 inch version based on this - as that extra 2 inches is really painful and there is next to no information on how to get it working. 

In what way is it painful? I want one of these but I’m a right crack handed twat when it come to building anything that isn’t Lego. 

On 02/02/2019 at 18:47, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Ok built - it was fun except for that fucking screen... and looks nice ... but now display doesn’t work. Which is no surprise. I’d recommend getting the 8 inch version based on this - as that extra 2 inches is really painful and there is next to no information on how to get it working. 

Might simply be that you have to force the Pi to output HDMI via the config file.

The actual built was good fun, but when you get to the 10 inch screen everything slows down - as there is no really clear information about how it fits together (and you have to guess). Its really easy to get the screen upside down, as others have said - and that would require a lot of backtracking.

And I know next to nothing about the Raspberry Pie, so have had to learn the basics of stuff like forcing getting the HDMI to output via the Config file.. and getting the sticks to work... and getting roms to work (only got a few of these recognised so far).... BUT WHEN YOU DO its a thing of beauty....:wub::wub::wub:

Picade.jpg

I was fortunate to get one of these as a combined present for Christmas. It's lovely, I really enjoyed putting it together over the holiday. You can tell a lot of work went into its design and materials. Unfortunately, I only actually got it running recently, software wise. My goodness, what a faff! It's a nostalgia fix in every sense of the word, OS and UI included! Absolutely arcane stuff. However, once working it's amazing. And that curvy crt scanline shader..!:wub:

picade.jpg.bf649d147977c91680810c870a6844b7.jpg

I've been having trouble getting the front end to display screenshots or videos. I've tried the included scraper, useless. Then Steven Selph's, it got a few screenshots. Then Skyscraper, which seemed to install ok but didn't add anything at all??

By all accounts Skyscraper is the current 'favourite' but it's not working for me. Does anyone know of a guide other than the retropi.org and GitHub ones? I'm finding them quite confusing. For instance, I can't work out where the hell Skyscraper is actually installed.:wacko:

23 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The actual built was good fun, but when you get to the 10 inch screen everything slows down - as there is no really clear information about how it fits together (and you have to guess). Its really easy to get the screen upside down, as others have said - and that would require a lot of backtracking.

And I know next to nothing about the Raspberry Pie, so have had to learn the basics of stuff like forcing getting the HDMI to output via the Config file.. and getting the sticks to work... and getting roms to work (only got a few of these recognised so far).... BUT WHEN YOU DO its a thing of beauty....:wub::wub::wub:

Picade.jpg

For anyone on the fence about these things - I just looked at DHP's machine there and it's such a thing of beauty his photo me envious... despite the fact I own exactly the same thing. 

I don't suppose there are Powerbanks that'll offer a full charge, are there? I would love to make it truly portable. 

15 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I've been having trouble getting the front end to display screenshots or videos. I've tried the included scraper, useless. Then Steven Selph's, it got a few screenshots. Then Skyscraper, which seemed to install ok but didn't add anything at all??

Did you quit emulation station before running it?

2 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Did you quit emulation station before running it?

Yep. It's all sorted now though. The issue was having the OMX acceleration enabled. With that turned off the videos displayed all of a sudden. It's so much better with videos.

Finally getting my head around the processes involved now. It's certainly a steep learning curve, for me at least. Now I just need to find a nice front end. Looking through the ones currently available, they all seem a bit gimmicky imo. I would have thought there'd have been a nice selection of generic yet visually interesting skins by now. Yet the default carbon seems to be the best so far. I wonder how hard it is to do your own or modify an existing one? 

17 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Yep. It's all sorted now though. The issue was having the OMX acceleration enabled. With that turned off the videos displayed all of a sudden. It's so much better with videos.

Finally getting my head around the processes involved now. It's certainly a steep learning curve, for me at least. Now I just need to find a nice front end. Looking through the ones currently available, they all seem a bit gimmicky imo. I would have thought there'd have been a nice selection of generic yet visually interesting skins by now. Yet the default carbon seems to be the best so far. I wonder how hard it is to do your own or modify an existing one? 

The SNES/NES mini themes are easily the best. Highly customisable, support the resolution of the Picade, and have support for the new Retropie features such as favourites.

1504043241293-snes-mini-preview-3.jpg

9 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

The SNES/NES mini themes are easily the best. Highly customisable, support the resolution of the Picade, and have support for the new Retropie features such as favourites.

1504043241293-snes-mini-preview-3.jpg

Cool, yep that’s certainly one of the better ones. It’s just a bit too snesy for my liking. My picade is basically a mame machine so I was hoping for a more generic ‘retro’ ‘80s’ ‘8bit’ feel.

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Cool, yep that’s certainly one of the better ones. It’s just a bit too snesy for my liking. My picade is basically a mame machine so I was hoping for a more generic ‘retro’ ‘80s’ ‘8bit’ feel.

You can switch it into NES or Famicom mode via the config files in the theme folder.

57 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

You can switch it into NES or Famicom mode via the config files in the theme folder.

Yeah, but they're a bit too nesy and famicomy! ;) I'm just picky I suppose. It's a mame box for me and that era is defined by the 80s pretty much. I just want something that has that retro feel but isn't aligned to a particular system or game genre. Just a generic retro theme but with some style. One doesn't have to cancel out the other, you can have both. Carbon is generic overload with a style factor of zero. Maybe I'll have to look into editing an existing theme. But I'm guessing it'll involve code, at which point I'll likely bail.

Feels like a stupid question, but how do I get more themes to appear? In the UI options screen in the Retropie front end, I can only see three (plus the PSX-Mini one I downloaded separately and stuck in a special folder).

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/03/2019 at 09:13, Bluejam said:

Any views on this for Retropie? I can probably swap the buttons out.

Good for beginners?

ta

C18CD2CF-59D1-4021-909F-0356EB3FC764.jpeg

I've got 2 of these. Perfectly ok.

Also got a couple of these too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-6922621500278-N30-Arcade-Stick/dp/B073ZNXFL6/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551646063&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Arcade+stick+8+bit+do

These ones have Bluetooth and work with Switch too.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i'm sure its been asked before, but RPI seems to have overscan or something on my tv. Ive searched on my tv for options but found nothing and ive trawled through the options in the settings of the image i'm using.

How do i get to my config file as that is the only thing i havent changed. No clue on linux command line either sorry.

2 hours ago, bwi said:

ok i'm sure its been asked before, but RPI seems to have overscan or something on my tv. Ive searched on my tv for options but found nothing and ive trawled through the options in the settings of the image i'm using.

How do i get to my config file as that is the only thing i havent changed. No clue on linux command line either sorry.

You can change the overscan through the raspi config menus under retropie on the emu station main menu. 

• 1 month later...

I got a pi 3b+ kit and the Nachos image (because it seemed a nice centre ground option). Hooked up a PS3 controller and it works ish. I  havent tried all the emus but a couple of arcade games worked and SNES and MD and Amiga.

However when I load the C64 emu (VICE I thinkt hey are using), the game loads then the pad buttons do nothing except bring up an autostart image menu (part of vice). If I press hotkey+X it doesnt do anything and neither does hotkey+start so I have to unplug and plug the pi back in to reset.

I have attached a Rii8 mini keyboard and that seems to work but again does nothing when i load a c64 game so I can't access any menus.

Is there a known VICE problem? How do I get to settings menus as it might be controller port issue (c64 had 2 and often used port 2)

I am going to try the others in turn and try to iron out other issues (like spectrum at moment isnt responsive but assume it kneeds keyboard

EDIT - other issues

Spectrum - similar cant get it to respond to controller or keyboard can get up optios with hotkey+x but no help

Amstrad CPC - simialr ish except when i load it joypad analoge is mapped to directions instead of Dpad making it VERY twitchy to control (uncontrollable) and can't see how to remap it optiopns menu no help

The keyboard does work as I got it working in Hitchhikers guide and on command line of CPC etc.

Is the PS3 controller just not a good one to be using?