The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

Does anyone know how I would turn off autofire on my Picade using Retroarch/Emulation Station/MAME? My bloody 10 year old discovered he can just hold down one of the buttons in Track & Field and it's ruined the high score table. 

On 24/05/2019 at 08:30, Dudley said:

These are fixable things of course.

I have a vague feeling that both buttons might have been jump on SMS tbf.

What else can they be? Sonic can only jump.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for help from the people who have the Picade I keep a error when trying to download the Picade hat installler And was hoping other have had this problem  the error message is:

Updating apt indexes...

.......w. Failed to fetch http://dl.bintray.com/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary/ ./Packages 403 Forbidden [IP:54.93.138.218.89]

W: Failed to fetch http://dl.bintray.com/pipplware/dists/Jessie/armv7/binary/ ./Packages 403 Forbidden [IP:54.93.138.218 80]

E:some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead

Apt failed to upgrade indexes!

Just getting back into using my Pi and wanted to get a new controller for it. Was looking to get a Wii U Pro controller but can't seem to find any for a decent price and wondered if anyone knew if either of these two controllers are compatable:

Jevogh and CooleedTEK

Looking at the Question and Answers for both, there are conflicting responses if either will work with the Pi

If anyone has other suggestions, I don't mind hard wired or wireless.

Also, if I go down the route of a SNES style, may get this Buffalo Gamepad, there is a newer version BSGP815GY but can't see what the difference is, in regards to the hardware, there is a longer wait for delivery for the newer one but can not see the difference in the kit.

On 06/06/2019 at 21:52, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Looking for help from the people who have the Picade I keep a error when trying to download the Picade hat installler And was hoping other have had this problem  the error message is:

Updating apt indexes...

.......w. Failed to fetch http://dl.bintray.com/pipplware/dists/jessie/main/binary/ ./Packages 403 Forbidden [IP:54.93.138.218.89]

W: Failed to fetch http://dl.bintray.com/pipplware/dists/Jessie/armv7/binary/ ./Packages 403 Forbidden [IP:54.93.138.218 80]

E:some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead

Apt failed to upgrade indexes!

Does this help at all?

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/11893/solved-update-issue

In particular this line:

Another way is to remove the pipplware file from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ folder.

On 09/06/2019 at 13:28, grounded_dreams said:

Just getting back into using my Pi and wanted to get a new controller for it. Was looking to get a Wii U Pro controller but can't seem to find any for a decent price and wondered if anyone knew if either of these two controllers are compatable:

Jevogh and CooleedTEK

Looking at the Question and Answers for both, there are conflicting responses if either will work with the Pi

If anyone has other suggestions, I don't mind hard wired or wireless.

Also, if I go down the route of a SNES style, may get this Buffalo Gamepad, there is a newer version BSGP815GY but can't see what the difference is, in regards to the hardware, there is a longer wait for delivery for the newer one but can not see the difference in the kit.

I've got a couple of the CooleedTEK ones and they work fine with on the Raspberry Pi.

I'm looking for some guidance on pre-built images. Unfortunately, the video links in the OP are now dead, but I've been looking at potential images from a site with the title Punk in it (not sure if we are allowed to refer to the websites so just being careful) and I've found a 32gig one I'm interested in called DynamicDuo. Watching videos and reading websites on them, they seem to only discuss the content not really how to actually install them.

On my current setup I have an 8gig micro SD card which has Retropie on, plus I use a USB stick for my games which I also attached to my Pi. I can't work out if I would be able to use balenaEtcher on my Mac to format a 32gig USB stick to add the above (or any other) image and then just stick it into the Pi (assume I would need to remove the micro SD card which is running retro pie first so there is no conflict) and it will just boot and run fine? Or do I need to get a larger micro SD card to do this?

Any help would be grateful.

@grounded_dreams I've not done it personally but you should be able to run just from the usb once you have created it from the image you've downloaded. 

You'll probably need to remove your sd card or it will boot from that by default. 

You may have to explicitly tell your pi to boot from usb though. See this link for an explanation of whether you need to change anything (model dependent) and how to do it. 

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

2 hours ago, MrMorgasaurus said:

@grounded_dreams I've not done it personally but you should be able to run just from the usb once you have created it from the image you've downloaded. 

You'll probably need to remove your sd card or it will boot from that by default. 

You may have to explicitly tell your pi to boot from usb though. See this link for an explanation of whether you need to change anything (model dependent) and how to do it. 

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Excellent, that is helpful :)

I think the GPU is the bottleneck with N64 emulation on the Pi, so I would be surprised if the Pi 4 was significantly improved - I think the GPU is not that much better on the new model. 

To be honest, I’m mainly hoping the new Pi will let me use more complex shaders for a more CRT-like image; some of the shaders look amazing but are way too slow to actually use.

It will take patience before the Pi 4 will be ready. The Retropie people need to make a new build, which could take weeks or months. If you like to put your Pi in one of Retroflag's lovely SNES or MD cases you'll have to wait for them to make a new one (the Pi 4 has reversed network and USB ports, so you won't be able to connect the USB extenders inside the Retroflag cases, and the power/HDMI ports are different too).

It would be a nice bit of extra "oomph" when it's ready. Hopefully SNES games that use enhancement chips would run better in Snes9x, and perhaps you could use more modern emulator cores instead of their less-accurate older cores.

I wouldn't hope for Dreamcast and Gamecube, etc.

I do like the new white/red case that the Raspberry Pi foundation has made for the Pi 4 though. Looks very PC Engine-like to me. But I agree it could be some time before we see the benefits of the new board. I'm not rushing in to buy one yet, put it that way, as I'm still very much enjoying the last version and have put a really nice image together to match my Mega Pi case. But I will definitely be getting one.

Or two. ;)

The devs seem to be intimating that Dreamcast will be very much doable on the new Pi, and also much improved N64 too. Not holding my breath for GC, but luckily still have my Wii for that.

If I would only be using the new pi 4 for emulation games, is there any need for the 4GB RAM, reading differing views on this. Is the 2GB option OK or would the higher RAM provide a better emulation experience if I'm running Retro Pie / Emulation Station for games.
Some sites are saying its the components of the kit which will help / improve this over previous versions, currently have a Raspberry Pi 3 (which I got in 2016)

Not really overly techie in this regard to understand, so any help would be grateful. 
I have not interesting using it for a server, desktop machine etc just emulation.

I don’t think anyone could tell you at this point. The Pi 4’s been out for just over 24hrs, and it’ll probably take weeks for the retropie developers to create a new build, let alone to work out how to fully take advantage of the new hardware. 

If you’re just using it for emulation, I would give it a while before buying a Pi 4.