The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

21 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

If I would only be using the new pi 4 for emulation games, is there any need for the 4GB RAM, reading differing views on this. Is the 2GB option OK or would the higher RAM provide a better emulation experience if I'm running Retro Pie / Emulation Station for games.
Some sites are saying its the components of the kit which will help / improve this over previous versions, currently have a Raspberry Pi 3 (which I got in 2016)

Not really overly techie in this regard to understand, so any help would be grateful. 
I have not interesting using it for a server, desktop machine etc just emulation.

My guess is not but equally you can't upgrade it and it's a tenner extra so I'd probably just buy the top one.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently attended an 80s event with the kids and there were some arcade cabs there. Obviously these weren't CRT based cabs and the sticks were shocking. 

I suggested I might buy a retro gaming solution for the man cave so we can play some of those arcade classics on a CRT.

At the moments it looks like I'll be going for a -

Pi 4 2GB

128GB SD card

Pi2Scart

And two namco PS1 arcade sticks with usb adapters 

Does that sound like a good combo for CRT based mame emulation? I know that the Pi2Scart isn't currently supported on the pi 4 but I'm ok with waiting.

10 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I recently attended an 80s event with the kids and there were some arcade cabs there. Obviously these weren't CRT based cabs and the sticks were shocking. 

I suggested I might buy a retro gaming solution for the man cave so we can play some of those arcade classics on a CRT.

At the moments it looks like I'll be going for a -

Pi 4 2GB

128GB SD card

Pi2Scart

And two namco PS1 arcade sticks with usb adapters 

Does that sound like a good combo for CRT based mame emulation? I know that the Pi2Scart isn't currently supported on the pi 4 but I'm ok with waiting.

I would get the rgb pi over the pi2scart. Simple gpio cable to scart, much clearer picture IMO and the custom retropie image is really good. 

If if you aren’t too bothered about sticks then maybe get 8bit do pads or usb adaptors. 

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Only as a clearance. Pimori have already dumped theirs cheap.

Handheld though you might find the Pi Zero W a better choice.

What does that perform well with? Assume I can do GB, GBC, GBA, SNES, MD, MS, GG?

Although they made 5 of those and sent all of them to "Influencers" and now can't tell anyone when there might be more available.

At this point, other than the not taking money up front, it's the Vega+ of pi cases.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Although they made 5 of those and sent all of them to "Influencers" and now can't tell anyone when there might be more available.

At this point, other than the not taking money up front, it's the Vega+ of pi cases.

I know two people who have them and neither are "influencers". In fact, one of them isn't even on social media as far as I'm aware.

On 11/07/2019 at 17:20, Dudley said:

They were on sale for (and this now isn't hyperbole) about 20 minutes on Amazon.  Since then it has said what their buy link says now "We do not know when this will be available".

Completely agree. Looking at some YT vids, some of the comments are suggesting that these are only very occasionally turning up on Amazon and the like even now. They sell out in minutes. My understanding was that stock was supposed to be coming in properly by this point in July, but we seem to still have this drip-feed going on, if the comments can be trusted. And that's the US, they still haven't even got a listing on Amazon UK.

People have been saying they've been checking daily for the last two months to get one. Well that's not how I imagine I'll be buying one of these (nuts to that). At this point if there was a decent alternative I would have bought it by now. Can't help but be disappointed.

On 07/07/2019 at 16:16, watusi said:

I would get the rgb pi over the pi2scart. Simple gpio cable to scart, much clearer picture IMO and the custom retropie image is really good. 

If if you aren’t too bothered about sticks then maybe get 8bit do pads or usb adaptors. 

My RGB-Pi arrived last week and I’m really impressed with it. 

Tpy0e4E.jpg

On 16/07/2019 at 11:27, Swainy said:

My RGB-Pi arrived last week and I’m really impressed with it. 

Tpy0e4E.jpg

Are you using the new beta O/S? I've an odler build on emustation but tried the new O/S earlier today - seems good but i hid some bugs. Currently stuck in arcade and unable to go bacck to root menu even after a power cycle.

1 hour ago, watusi said:

Are you using the new beta O/S? I've an odler build on emustation but tried the new O/S earlier today - seems good but i hid some bugs. Currently stuck in arcade and unable to go bacck to root menu even after a power cycle.

Yeah I’m using the new beta build. I’ve not tested arcade roms. To be honest it’s only going to be used for PC Engine games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Is input lag simply a fact of life with this setup? I've turned off v-sync but it's still way too much for me. When I look up what to do, guides mention obvious stuff like putting my TV into game mode, but there's clearly something about Retropie that it has more input lag than, for example, my officially purchased emulations of Sonic 2 on Xbox360 and Super Mario Advance 2 on the WiiU virtual console.

Is it in inherently laggy retro setup, or was it always like this with emulation and I'm only just noticing?

No, it's at least as good as the official solutions on modern TV in my experience.

Is that across all emulators? I recall when I set mine up initially three years ago or so that the SNES emulator was exceptionally laggy (others were fine) and I couldn't find anyone online with the same issue. I eventually noticed that it had defaulted to a video mode at 50Hz (changed from the menu you reach by pressing any button as the game starts booting) which does not play nice with NTSC ROMs it turns out.

I think there's no better value proposition in the entirely of video gaming than a MiSTer setup.

As far as lag goes it's more than a deal breaker for me as I get older.

Case in point: I can casually 1CC Hellfire on my Mega Drive & CRT setup (both initial difficulties). The same game emulated using various solutions on my low-lag plasma set to game mode is borderline unplayable. It's actually awful.

Never experienced any input lag on a Pi. Certainly nothing gameplay affecting or especially noticeable on a Pi3 and above. In fact to me games feel snappier than they did back when I was a teen playing them. I definitely feel like I'm better at shooters and fighting games on the Pi than I was on a SNES or MD. There can be several reasons why you are getting this and without having your setup in front of me it's hard to say. Like @Yasawas says above, it should be as good or (in my experience) better than official solutions. I play all sorts of MAME shooters and fighters all the time, FBA Capcom stuff, consoles... no problems and no game killing lag. I mean, if it had that I would be annoyed too as I hate it and would have binned it off.

Was this a pre-built image from the net or have you put it together yourself?

When you say you've never experienced input lag it sounds like you've never noticed it - and if you're having fun there's no issue. But between the emulation lag, the monitor lag and the USB controller polling / Bluetooth lag you're definitely experiencing additional latency. 

I'm not shitting on using low powered emulation devices (for example I tend to prefer using a SNES Mini over a real SNES and prefer emulated Game Boy Virtual Console on a 2DS over real GB hardware) - it's amazing to have so many finely optimised emulators so easily accessible..but if I have the option to play, say, XMultiply on MAME (on my Laptop / PC / SNES Mini) or on my Saturn It's really difficult to ignore that the lack of added lag on real hardware & CRT makes playing the game much more enjoyable and easier to play through / master.

As far as actual Pi use - I don't own one anymore but if I did I'd want to personally curate everything on there. And I think I'd only be interested in using Pi4-optimised cores that can use something like a run ahead / lag elimination feature. 

2 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

When you say you've never experienced input lag it sounds like you've never noticed it - and if you're having fun there's no issue. But between the emulation lag, the monitor lag and the USB controller polling / Bluetooth lag you're definitely experiencing additional latency. 

Well thanks for telling me what I'm experiencing. There's nothing nicer than folks on the internet pointing out for me what I'm experiencing lol. :hat:

I don't like getting into the input lag discussion for a few reasons but chiefly it's one of those things that people get very impassioned about, but then go on to get upset when you tell them you don't experience it. They then often go to lengths to tell you that yes you are bloody well experiencing it, you're just too dumb to know, and that this other solution is better than you with your off the shelf sub-par setup. Peasant. I mean that last bit is implied...  Nobody actually calls you a peasant, well not within earshot. But they're thinking it. And they're looking at you while they're thinking it. Smug gits. Why I oughta... I'm going off track...

I'm not saying input lag is not there, or that it's not a measurable thing if you have the right tools etc. I'm simply saying I do not experience any detriment in gameplay and have never felt it's presence on the Pi. Not once. I have in the past, when I used to use an Android box. The input lag was abysmal and game killing for me. But I did not need an expensive solution for my needs as the Pi is a brilliant fit for me and does everything. I built my own install from scratch and have tailored it for the best performance I can. I'm not saying it's perfect but I bloody love it and wouldn't change it, except perhaps for a Pi4 when it really takes off.

Use what you like folks. A Pi may be more work to get the best out of it but is very rewarding. There are a myriad other solutions. Just enjoy your games. And stop looking at me like that.

9 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

Well thanks for telling me what I'm experiencing. There's nothing nicer than folks on the internet pointing out for me what I'm experiencing lol. :hat:

I meant no offense or underhand sneering.

I guess I am a bit passionate about it (added input lag) because my enjoyment of video games in general (I'm pretty much exclusively a 'retrogamer') is hugely dependent on it being as low as possible - and being able to starkly compare experiences of playing the same games in different ways has been revelatory to me.