The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

53 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'll give it a look tomorrow.

Given this is my entire SNES boxed collection you see my motivation.

Yes, I only buy games in 3 categories : Tiny Toons, Absurdly shit and "Obscure F1 games".

2020-08-05_23_01_47.jpg

F1 Exhaust Heat was great at the time though. Forgot Ocean published it here.

19 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

F1 Exhaust Heat was great at the time though. Forgot Ocean published it here.

That's the new one, I've not played it yet, bought it on a whim while picking up a couple of MD games so I'm glad to hear that. :)

Picked up a pi4 in advance of my Sinden light gun arriving along with the the case mentioned above. Installed RetroPie and a couple of MD roms to test and so far so good if a little complicated (not helped by most guides being out of date now).

The case I got needs some software installed to control the fan, how do I do that with RetroPie being the main os? 

I also want to install some arcade stuff but have no idea what final burn or Mame are capable of or even what one to use for what games. Can I just bung a load of roms on and just hope for the best or is there a better way?

What else can I do with the Pi which is worth trying?

Yeah, your actual best bet for pi is to go.... somewhere and download a complete image and then tweak the roms by connecting the thing to the network and just using its automatic windows share that includes the rom folders to tweak what you want.

On 06/08/2020 at 09:03, gizmo1990 said:

Maybe slightly OT but, has anyone been able to run Konami's SNES Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose via Retropie without some sort of video corruption on the main screen? In game all seems well but the title screen, with the traditional Warner multicoloured circles zooming in (with the characters in the middle) is always partly corrupted halfway down.:huh: I've tried multiple builds and multiple roms and I'm still getting it. It's been irking me for ages! Has anyone else experienced the same?

That game had graphical corruption on the spinning wheel bonus game and title screen on real hardware if you used an import cartridge on a UK SNES with one of those adaptors.

Dreamcast emulation works brilliantly. I haven’t played around with it that much - mostly tinkering to see what works - but Virtua Tennis and 18 Wheeler work perfectly. 

The N64 is not quite there, but most of the games I’ve played work fine. There’s a weird issue whereby most games really chug and have choppy sound on the title screen, but are perfectly playable in-game. To be honest, it can be a bit of a palaver playing N64 games on a twin-stick controller - Goldeneye in particular requires you to rewrite your brain given that left trigger is shoot and right trigger is aim. But the performance is pretty good, albeit inconsistent across different games. 

Overall, the Pi4 is significantly better than the Pi3, but there are some idiosyncrasies, such as shader performance being worse on the 4, and the front end having an obscure bug that makes the UI very juddery. It’d be boring if it all worked perfectly though - fiddling around with it is at least half the fun. 

On 18/08/2020 at 08:11, dumpster said:

That game had graphical corruption on the spinning wheel bonus game and title screen on real hardware if you used an import cartridge on a UK SNES with one of those adaptors.

That is an amazing memory recall! :) Thanks for that. My battered Jap copy always worked/works in my sf but I do seem to remember issues with import carts and adaptors.

Has anyone managed to get Sonic CD working? I've had other Mega CD titles running but this always throws up an error about the RAM cart not being initialised (an actual Mega CD error, it has Robotnik laughing at me :() and will not proceed. 

This is using Picodrive as I don't even get this far with Genesis PLus GX, I've never been able to get it to boot MCD at all.

Sorted. It was a weird Retropie thing. Or a me thing, I'm not certain.

Looking at it in a file manager there was a .bin and .cue with identical names so you would assume it would work, but opening the .cue showed it referencing a different .bin (a previous version I had on there). Now to see what they fuss is about. I own Sonic CD on PS3 but it wasn't until I'd bought that version it dawned on me it's about as bad a controller as you could ever play it on so I never did.

• 2 months later...
On 22/06/2019 at 02:15, Stoppy2000 said:

Trying to get amiberry set up on my pi. Anybody know the definitive list of kickstart files I need in the bios folder? I have the files but not sure if they are named correctly. 

Did you manage to get amiberry set up and working in the end @Stoppy2000?

Or can anyone else help me get it working please?

I've downloaded one of the kickstart files - 'Kickstart v3.1 rev 40.68 (1993)(Commodore)(A1200)[!].rom' and put it in the bios folder, plus have Lemmings.lha in the roms folder, but when I try to run Lemmings I just get a blank screen.

Can anyone help please?  Also interested in finding the WHDLoad stuff if anyone has any pointers - would love to play some of the old Amiga stuff with my kids!

13 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Did you manage to get amiberry set up and working in the end @Stoppy2000?

Or can anyone else help me get it working please?

I've downloaded one of the kickstart files - 'Kickstart v3.1 rev 40.68 (1993)(Commodore)(A1200)[!].rom' and put it in the bios folder, plus have Lemmings.lha in the roms folder, but when I try to run Lemmings I just get a blank screen.

Can anyone help please?  Also interested in finding the WHDLoad stuff if anyone has any pointers - would love to play some of the old Amiga stuff with my kids!

I did get whdload working but it was so long ago that I'm not sure how... I might dig my pi out and have a look if I get chance.

Apologies if there’s a separate thread, but this new Pi 400 looks neat. Higher clocked Pi4 set in a keyboard?! What’s the potential of setting one of these things up as an Amiga 1200 emulator, maybe adding C64, CPC, Atari 8bit and Dosbox as well. 
My experience of Amiga emulators isn’t great, they’re normally pretty fiddly. I wanted to use my eMac as one, and it kinda works - to an extent, but getting the games to run is hit and miss and needs fiddling! A Pi 400 with HDMI -> VGA would be amazing!

• 1 month later...

@ScouserInExile

The Pi 400 is based on the Pi 4, and Dreamcast games run brilliantly on the 4 (although only at native res, ie 640x480). The only issue is that Windows CE games aren’t supported on the best emulator, so no Sega Rally 2. 

So yeah, a Pi 4/400 will emulate most things up to the Dreamcast era - PS1, Amiga, 16-bit consoles, etc - pretty much flawlessly. N64 games should mostly work too, although performance varies. 3DO games are a mixed bag, as are Jaguar games. 

MAME is a bit more complex. The default version of MAME is 2003, which is perfect for me as I only really want to emulate coin-ops up to the mid-nineties - which it does perfectly for the most part, notwithstanding a few games that aren’t emulated properly or where the copy protection hasn’t been cracked (ie Crackdown). You can download more recent versions of MAME if you want, but it’s a bit of a faff getting matching rom sets, and performance isn’t as good. I haven’t tried any more advanced 3D stuff, but would hazard a guess it doesn’t run very well on a Pi given that MAME’s goal is to make sure each system is emulated as accurately as possible. 

Indeed. The Pi3 does the Metal Slugs and Ketsui and beyond that I’m fairly indifferent myself.

For old and jaded people like myself there’s something inherently magical still about your average 1990s arcade attract sequence running in your house. I never get tired of them, the louder and brasher the better. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

There’s a magazine out with a cover-mounted Pi at the moment. Is that going to be useful for making a small emu box?

what mag is that?

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

There’s a magazine out with a cover-mounted Pi at the moment. Is that going to be useful for making a small emu box?

Possibly. See the pi thread in ot for a bbc vga emulation. Pimoroni are releasing a vga pico board along the same lines.