The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

• 2 weeks later...

So having got a Sinden light gun I’ve finally been able to set up my pi properly...well almost.

Ive got a barebones build that already has the sinden stuff pre installed and I’ve even managed to install a few light gun games for the Dreamcast and PlayStation. Now I didn’t realise this part would be a bit fiddly and I wonder if there is an easier way to do things. Right now when I load up a game I have to go into the retro arch on screen menu and set controller 1 to light gun (and this menu is different for each console it seems too). Do I have to do this on a console basis or a game basis? Is there an easy way to save and load configs or like a best way to do this?

Ive got a pi4 with 8gb of ram and wanted to know what level of games I can play on this. There’s a Dreamcast emulator which is great although I’m unsure as if it’s running at a full 30/60fps or is a little slow. But what about Saturn? Can that run on this? How about Model 2 and 3 emulators? What about getting those types of 3D arcade light guns to run via name, is that possible?

Or ultimately am I better off getting individual emulators for pc for these types of games like Time crisis 2/3 etc?

50 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

So having got a Sinden light gun I’ve finally been able to set up my pi properly...well almost.

You're blowing my mind with this lightgun talk! [rushes off to research, head full of thoughts of Point Blank...]

EDIT: WHAT THE HECK, THERE'S RECOIL!?!?!

1 hour ago, artz said:

You can definitely save per-game RetroArch configuration, I did so for multitap SNES games.

is that the best way to do it? Do I have to load up the config each time I load up the game or will it do it automatically?

1 hour ago, frumious said:

You're blowing my mind with this lightgun talk! [rushes off to research, head full of thoughts of Point Blank...]

EDIT: WHAT THE HECK, THERE'S RECOIL!?!?!

The recoil is great, very much like the arcade time crisis in terms of noise and weight (although no sliding top piece) and manages to also pull off automatic weapons well all being powered through the usb.

5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

is that the best way to do it? Do I have to load up the config each time I load up the game or will it do it automatically?

The recoil is great, very much like the arcade time crisis in terms of noise and weight (although no sliding top piece) and manages to also pull off automatic weapons well all being powered through the usb.

Bollocks, that sounds really good, while not being very cheap...

6 hours ago, Ketchup said:

There is a config file hierarchy (https://docs.libretro.com/guides/overrides/), it's a bit awkward to get to grips with but will allow you to do per game config. Not sure there is an easy way of doing at as default for lightgun games, i'm not overly familiar with Retroarch.

15 hours ago, Ketchup said:

No, bring up the RegroArch menu in game, adjust the options the save as the default for that game only. It will be loaded whenever that game is started, at least for libretro emulators (name starts with LR).

Yeah it works out much cheaper than buying it all seperately (cab, monitor, decals etc)

It was a toss up between MK2 and SF2 but SF2 had standard button layout whereas MK2 has a weird configuration...but granted it has better decals!

Fair enough! I kept it stock as SF2 for a good 6 months after I bought it (mainly whilst waiting for modding components to arrive from China) and let the boys have a good blast on street fighter, then when they were kind of getting bored I BLEW THEIR MIND with a 128gb worth of games :lol: They love the TMNT arcade games.

Good job the tinkering is fun, eh?  I had a decent enough Pi 3B with Rey's image on a 128gb card in a nice NES styled case I put together a couple of years back.  Then I asked for a MegaPi case for the Christmas before last, but accidentally snapped the micro SD card during assembly.  I couldn't find anywhere to download the image again, or any others than I fancied so l just left it all to one side.

I'm currently off work ill, so got it all out yesterday, along with another SD card and decided I'd just make my own image, which turned out to be more straight-forward than I realised.  However, when I plugged the machine in and it wouldn't power on, so I took it all apart to check, and the PI worked perfectly out of the case.  I then put it all back together and for some reason it started working again.  Stupidly though, I forgot to take the other SD card out when putting it back in the case and snapped that one too!

Lesson learnt this time, I installed Retropie on a third card, picked a nice splash screen movie, switched to the Zoid theme, installed the code so that the reset and power switches work on the case and everything was sweet again other than struggling to find working ROMs, which is the benefit of working with an already compiled image of course.  No matter though, it was all coming together nicely until I delved into the deeper settings of Retropie....

I saw some kind of Retropie update option, so I selected it, and it spent about twenty minutes downloading different things and spewing loads of text out on the screen until it seemed to hang.  I waited another twenty minutes so before pulling the plug and I must have corrupted the card as now it won't boot so I'm going to have to format it and start over!

I've definitely learnt a lot of things not to do, and despite all the set-backs, the messing about has really been quite fun, and it's going to feel immense satisfaction when I finally get it all working with the games I want all installed and running.

Further to the above, any idea why I'm not getting any picture out now?  I stuck an old PI configured card in, and I can see it on the network and transfer ROMs both ways, so the Pi appears to be working properly otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Further to the above, any idea why I'm not getting any picture out now?  I stuck an old PI configured card in, and I can see it on the network and transfer ROMs both ways, so the Pi appears to be working properly otherwise.

it’s set to output on composite not HDMI?

RPis are the ultimate tinkerers tool (ooh matron). Weirdly having mine in a cab has made me less inclined to piss about with it. It's probably the best gaming related thing I've ever done, though. Witnessing the absolute pure joy my two biggest lads get when they are slaying footclan on TMNT is just incredible. And them reenacting all the cutscenes etc. It's pure gold.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a raspberry pi 4b from this forum and it’s ok. It’s running emulstionstation. 
Some of the emulation was A bit rubbish in mame so I tinkered with it abd ultimately kind of screwed it up. Sound disappeared, fixed that, then disappeared again (it had been intermittent since the start anyway)

so, I did a full reset on emulationstation and it got rid of the options and mame no longer works and I can’t seem to find an option to restore this menu.

im pretty useless when it comes to messing with Linux and I don’t have the time right now to mess around with it. 

does anyone use a pi for emulation? I’m a bit gutted that I’ve messed it up (typical of me). I think I probably need to download a new image and start the process from scratch when I get some time... 

if anyone has any advice or links that can help me to sort it, I’d be really grateful!

On 04/03/2021 at 10:39, beakbeak said:

I recently bought a raspberry pi 4b from this forum and it’s ok. It’s running emulstionstation. 
Some of the emulation was A bit rubbish in mame so I tinkered with it abd ultimately kind of screwed it up. Sound disappeared, fixed that, then disappeared again (it had been intermittent since the start anyway)

so, I did a full reset on emulationstation and it got rid of the options and mame no longer works and I can’t seem to find an option to restore this menu.

im pretty useless when it comes to messing with Linux and I don’t have the time right now to mess around with it. 

does anyone use a pi for emulation? I’m a bit gutted that I’ve messed it up (typical of me). I think I probably need to download a new image and start the process from scratch when I get some time... 

if anyone has any advice or links that can help me to sort it, I’d be really grateful!

Start again with a freshly formatted SD card is my advice. In my experience this is a far better way to go about things than just downloading a pre built image. Just download the correct version of retropie from retropie.org.uk and then find your own roms. Having loads of ROMs seems like a good idea but it's better to have a nicely curated collection. 

On 09/02/2021 at 22:32, Das said:

I wasn't too sure where to post this, couldn't see a 'bodged arcade machine' thread :lol:

Arcade1Up SF2 cab with Raspberry Pi 3B. I kind of followed a hybrid of different guides because I wanted to keep the cab as stock as possible. So it has the original sticks and buttons. The only external addition I had to make was to drill the two holes for the 'Coin/Select' buttons. Because I kept the stock sticks I had to cut the cables and resolder them to the USB encoder wires. I also managed to get the built-in speaker running straight off the LCD controller by soldering the speaker cables to the underside of the board. No dodgy car amp needed. Finally using the GPIO pins on the Pi and some clever code I've got the on/off switch operating perfectly and even the volume 3 position switch! Goes from sound off >25% vol>75% vol. Great 128gb image too. Well happy!

IMG_20210209_194201_copy_1200x1600.jpg

IMG_20210209_194209_copy_1200x1600.jpg

IMG_20210209_194221_copy_1200x1600.jpg

Mine is coming on Tuesday, and I fully intend to attempt modding it too.  However, I have never used a soldering iron, so I'll be buying new sticks, and I'm even worried about drilling the holes for the select buttons, any advice for that?  I'm looking to place mine on the control panel rather than the front.

I'm going to follow this guide and hope all goes well.  I would love to get the power button and volume control working too, was that difficult?

@Stejay if you are nervous about drilling the holes for the buttons I would strongly recommend you put them in the location I've used. Reason being; the control deck is much thicker, more visible and not reversible so if you make any cockups you are screwed! Where I put them, it's a really thin piece of MDF and reversible so if you get any splits on either side when you drill through, you can turn it round and use the 'good' side.

I used a wood drill bit to match the button, maybe 22mm bit? 

The power and volume I followed some instructions I found on Reddit I think. Will try and dig them out. Power was easy. Volume was slightly trickier to follow. 

Clamp a piece of wood to the back when you drill into it, will stop any damage at the back.

Also, if you don’t like soldering you can crimp most of the cables, just need straight crimps and a tool to do it .

On 04/03/2021 at 10:39, beakbeak said:

Mame is a bit different to other emulators, also I thought that FBN was the recommended arcade emulator for retropie? If you’re really struggling with it then I’d suggest looking for an all in one image.If you do stick with Mame then only ever change one setting at a time if you’re not sure what the impact will be, it’s incredibly easy to mess it up (from experience!).

13 hours ago, phresh said:

Clamp a piece of wood to the back when you drill into it, will stop any damage at the back.

Also, if you don’t like soldering you can crimp most of the cables, just need straight crimps and a tool to do it .

Great hints, thank you.

• 2 months later...

Do people still routinely cite 8BitDo as the go-to for an all-purpose Bluetooth controller?

I have the SN30 Pro and love the sticks, triggers and versatility but the D-pad is shite. Yes it’s better than on any current console, it’s at best on par with my launch Super Famicom pad (which endearingly favours right!) but compared to the recent replicas made by Nintendo for the Classic and Switch Online games it’s a very poor imitation. Did I just get a rough one?