IGNORED

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

1 hour ago, Flub said:

In a bittorrent client

Sorry, should have been clearer.  Normally, there's just a magnet link to click.

On the Youtube video the link looks like this:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:794a700b938a9f46440c4fdc90c5b1d2aeb7f311&dn=MLPshrunk.img

Whilst, I'm here any one used the MLP 128Gb Attract mode image.  Seems to have more Dreamcast and PS games than other versions. But no MS DOS stuff.

Is it easy to add/change stuff if you use an image like MLP or Rey?

4 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Sorry, should have been clearer.  Normally, there's just a magnet link to click.

On the Youtube video the link looks like this:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:794a700b938a9f46440c4fdc90c5b1d2aeb7f311&dn=MLPshrunk.img

Whilst, I'm here any one used the MLP 128Gb Attract mode image.  Seems to have more Dreamcast and PS games than other versions. But no MS DOS stuff.

Is it easy to add/change stuff if you use an image like MLP or Rey?

In your bittorrent client there'll probably be an option to add a magnet link. Just cut and paste it in. My NAS uses Transmission with a custom interface and I just did a cut and paste into the correct box.

I've read lots of problems with 128GB images only working on particular cards. I have Reys image and (once I've worked out how) will scrap lots of the roms and videos of it.

I'm currently using the smaller Nachos 64GB image and really liking it. Combined with the Tronky theme I'm in heaven (or getting there).

As usual with Emulators I have control issues with some games. I'm using either a Buffalo USB or xbox360 gamepads but really need to zone down onto each system to sort out controls.

Anyone worked out a sure easy way of configuing controls for each system? I'm even unsure on which /and where files are to be changed.. noob here i guess.

Just now, Blu3Flame said:

What kind of control issues?

Have you installed the 360 pad driver?

Yes the pads work but little touches like in MAME, only the dpad controls work and not the sticks. Knowing how to change controls for each system easily would be amazing. 

18 minutes ago, nevsan said:

Yes the pads work but little touches like in MAME, only the dpad controls work and not the sticks. Knowing how to change controls for each system easily would be amazing. 

For 99% of the systems you can use the hotkey combo select+X (on your xbox controller) to go into the quick menu of retroarch. There you'll find a controls menu (note: avoid the controls menu you find under settings in the main menu, those are the controls for the retroarch gui).

In the controls menu under the quick menu you can change the controls for each player however you want. Then you can select either save as core remap file (to set those as default controls for all games on that platform) or save as game remap file (to set those controls for just that one game)

In mame iirc (I'm on my phone right now) you have to press the left trigger and then have a look around in the mame menu itself.

I don't have a lot of time to play games  (or write guides) at the moment,  but I'm having lots of fun in those few spare minutes I have here and there messing around with my RetroPie install. Now that I have 128GB of space,  I'm adding loads of roms and platforms,  but as ever no complete sets. They're all carefully selected games, based on my own gaming experience, knowledge and recommendation lists. I'm checking whether every single one works and eventually I want to have them all meta-scraped. I'm manually adding the games that are unscrapable (like F-Zero) and even fixing the sometimes horrible meta descriptions or box art where I can. Currently busy with C64 and PS1 :)

I'm thinking  - if there are people interested in a no-nonsense, 100% working, carefully selected 128GB or so RetroPie image with a nice and simple clean look (and 100% meta-scraped) - I might upload it somewhere once it's finished. Note that it's going to take a while,  we're talking thousands of games here :) And no guarantee I will ever actually finish it, although I fully intend to.

Current platforms: Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Lynx, Commodore 64, Famicom Disc System, Final Burn Alpha (Capcom and Neo Geo/SNK fighting games), Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, MAME (all other arcade games), Mastersystem, Mega Drive, MSX, N64, NES, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket  Color, PC Engine, PSP, PS1, Sega 32X, SegaCD, SNES, Vectrex, and Virtual Boy.

Still considering Spectrum, Game & Watch and other platforms.

I'm also thinking of posting my lists for each platform at some point and ask whether you all think it looks good, or whether there are any glaring omissions :)

Many on these 'images' out there like Nachos or Reys have various systems already installed and working.

For instance I wanted (for some bizarre reason) all the Game & Watch games all working with the overlays - Nachos image has this [TICK] :) AND it has tons of MS DOS games working too [TICK]

I'd love to know how to move all the required files over into my 'main image' which is currently Nachos as it seems to have more of the systems already working that I want to play. If anyone could work that out they would be a hero :) and help a heap of us out I'm sure.

10 minutes ago, Pob said:

And what does that mean? :)

You know the boxart, release date, short description,  developer and stuff? That's meta data. You 'scrape' for that data by connecting to an online database and downloading all dat info. In this case, RetroPie scrapes GamesDB but sometimes their servers or whatever are down or really slow. And sometimes it can't find a game or it finds the wrong one.

24 minutes ago, nevsan said:

Many on these 'images' out there like Nachos or Reys have various systems already installed and working.

For instance I wanted (for some bizarre reason) all the Game & Watch games all working with the overlays - Nachos image has this [TICK] :) AND it has tons of MS DOS games working too [TICK]

I'd love to know how to move all the required files over into my 'main image' which is currently Nachos as it seems to have more of the systems already working that I want to play. If anyone could work that out they would be a hero :) and help a heap of us out I'm sure.

See the guide in the first post. Short answer,  connect an ethernet cable to your retropie. In windows go to 'network' and you should see a folder called Retropie. There's a roms folder in there  - then it's just a matter of deleting what you don't want, and adding new stuff by simply copy-pasting :)

This thread is amazing, keep it up guys. I'm going to treat myself to a Pi3 at the end of the month and give all this a go. A few questions I have:

If I buy a 128gb sd card and then stick one of the 64gb images on it, will I have 64gb free to add other stuff too, or does it partition it in some way?

What's the C64 emulation like? Both in terms of reliable emulation and ease of use.

What's the Dreamcast and NDS emulation like? Or, to put it more specifically, can I play Bangai-O/Bangai-O Spirits on this? (pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes)

20 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

This thread is amazing, keep it up guys. I'm going to treat myself to a Pi3 at the end of the month and give all this a go. A few questions I have:

1-if I buy a 128gb sd card and then stick one of the 64gb images on it, will I have 64gb free to add other stuff too, or does it partition it in some way?

2 - What's the C64 emulation like? Both in terms of reliable emulation and ease of use.

3 - What's the Dreamcast and NDS emulation like? Or, to put it more specifically, can I play Bangai-O/Bangai-O Spirits on this? (pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes)

It partitions it because the image is 64GB, but you can simply go into Raspi-config in the Retropie menu and the topmost option is 'expand filesystem'. Select it and there you go, your entire SD card is now available to you. That's all there is to it! (Note for anyone wondering: you only need to do this if you put a pre-built image that is smaller than your sd card on there afaik)

2 - It's good, have been messing around with it since yesterday. Weird thing is that some of the no-intro c64 roms refuse to run, but a rom set from emu paradise (called good v3 or something) all work perfectly. Drawback is that the C64 emu, a bit like MAME, has a functionality and menu separate from RetroArch. Instead of select+X for the RetroArch quick menu you press start or RB for the c64 emulator menu. There you can set joysticks and stuff. There's also an option to speed up (fast forwarding the loading times) and a virtual keyboard. Sometimes you need to press space or one of the function keys, the virtual keyboard ensures that I can do all that with just a controller. Are you familiar with the C64 emulator Vice? Because it's that.

3 - no experience with either of them. The Pi is a bit underpowered for the Dreamcast, a few games apparently run okay in software mode. No idea about DS, but it's not among the standard / default cores. I'm planning on checking it out, but haven't had the time yet :)

Hi Duke and Gerbik, brilliant thread btw, fantastic work. I'm a C64 head and have used the latest source code (built into Retropie config) to build the C64 Emu yesterday. It's tricky to set up but well worth the effort. The SID emulation is set to a basic level to start with and the colours are well off... to fix this:

- change the palette to PEPTOPAL (under video settings)

- change SID setting to RESAMPLING-FP (under machine settings)

- change drive emulation to TRUE DRIVE and enable sound for the Floppy sounds:-)

I'll check more settings when I get home but that's a good start and the SID sounds less harsh than the default setting. 

Btw doing all this on an overclocked Rpi3. So not sure if the resampling SID affects performance on a normal pi3.

This may turn the opening post into something uncontrollable but how about listing each system (when all sorted) to help us noobs tweak and correct things?  like the C64 tips from Niftyifty

Currently I'm still trying to wrap my head around adding those Arcade bezels to over 200 Mame games. I followed the video and they still don't appear. My only success has been to go into a game (like 1942) and press the (back + X) to go into Retroarch and apply the overlay there.

Only problem is I cannot work out where I do this to actually save it for the game (and not globally for all games) and how to reposition the screens so they fit correctly. All this information I'm sure is meant to be within the config files that the handy app apparently does.

Anyone help?