IGNORED

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

So how much of the 128GB image is actually taken up by videos etc rather than actual roms? Having watched some videos having a scroll wheel to cycle through games looks rather slow and irritating to me. I'd prefer a clean simple list of correctly scraped games - though I'm far too lazy to tidy up my retropie to correct all the mis scrapes.

5 hours ago, niftyifty said:

Hi Duke and Gerbik, brilliant thread btw, fantastic work. I'm a C64 head and have used the latest source code (built into Retropie config) to build the C64 Emu yesterday. It's tricky to set up but well worth the effort. The SID emulation is set to a basic level to start with and the colours are well off... to fix this:

- change the palette to PEPTOPAL (under video settings)

- change SID setting to RESAMPLING-FP (under machine settings)

- change drive emulation to TRUE DRIVE and enable sound for the Floppy sounds:-)

I'll check more settings when I get home but that's a good start and the SID sounds less harsh than the default setting. 

Btw doing all this on an overclocked Rpi3. So not sure if the resampling SID affects performance on a normal pi3.

Thanks for that! Yeah, the C64 core seems a bit fiddlier than all the others I've tried so far. I assume SID has to do with sound (yeah, noob here) - and I'm definitely going to try your recommendation. The sound in Usagi Yojimbo (my personal favourite C64 game) was noticeably off. Hopefully this will improve that.

I have no idea how the colours are supposed to look btw. The C64 was my first gaming platform  (or "homework computer" as I described it to my parents) but I had one of those 'green' monitors. Only time I ever saw C64 games in colour was on the back of the box :)

Since you're a C64 head - any idea why some of the No-Intro roms won't start for me? It fails to auto-load the image or something to that effect. It can't be the roms, since they're from No-Intro. I've tried different roms but those invariably come with bullshit cracked intros and trainers. So I'd rather use the No-Intro ones whenever possible.

4 hours ago, nevsan said:

This may turn the opening post into something uncontrollable but how about listing each system (when all sorted) to help us noobs tweak and correct things?  like the C64 tips from Niftyifty

That's exactly what I'm planning to do.  I want to add an index at the start and then make it so that if all you want to do is buy a kit and install a pre-built image without any faffing about at all, then you would only need to read the first section. After that comes the straightforward installation of a RetroPie image where you add and set everything yourself.

Then I want to explain stuff like various basic settings, where to put roms and how to select a shader and stuff.

Then the advanced section for those who want to edit xml files, mess with the systems configuration settings and stuff. And finally a list of tips and settings per system where needed, as you say.

If anyone is able to help you out with those Arcade bezels, then it's definitely something I'll add to the guide :)

43 minutes ago, watusi said:

So how much of the 128GB image is actually taken up by videos etc rather than actual roms? Having watched some videos having a scroll wheel to cycle through games looks rather slow and irritating to me. I'd prefer a clean simple list of correctly scraped games - though I'm far too lazy to tidy up my retropie to correct all the mis scrapes.

No idea how much space all the garish menus take, but I totally agree with you. See my earlier post. From what others have said the Nacho 64GB image is a lot cleaner and simpler, worth checking out.  Haven't seen it myself yet though. Maybe use that as a starting point to add your own roms in the remaining 64GB.

Or wait until I finish and upload my own 128GB installation, guaranteed 100% scraped and corrected , presented in clean simple lists using the simple and nice Carbon theme - but that is going to be a while before it's finished :)

I bunged the Nacho 64GB image onto my SD card today and fired up the Pi for the first time ever. Everything just worked right off. It's a lovely clean interface (though I must admit I've no idea what 'interface' I'm looking at - EmulationStation? RetroPie? Some kind of custom setup by this 'nacho' character?) and very easy to navigate between systems and skip through long lists of games.

Two questions:

1. I noticed some input lag whilst using the XB1 pad (not tried any other) so turned off V-sync (thanks for that, Gerbik) but now everything is of course that bit more stuttery and has some tearing. Is input lag a fact of life with V-synch or is there something I can do about it?

2. Er...how do I turn the Pi off? Just cut the power?

Er...how do I turn the Pi off? Just cut the power?

EmulationStation (from where you pick the platform and launch the games) has a shutdown option in its menu (that you get to by pressing Start), otherwise from the terminal it's...

sudo shutdown -h now

39 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

So I just logged in for this first time in 4 years just to ask how long will the whole process take me to get it all set up and working nicely?

I've never used Raspberry Pi before unless you count building a Kano.

If you take out the waiting time for your Raspberry Pi to be delivered, and for a large img file to download and then be mounted onto your SD card, about the length of time it takes to plug a few cables in.

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

If you take out the waiting time for your Raspberry Pi to be delivered, and for a large img file to download and then be mounted onto your SD card, about the length of time it takes to plug a few cables in.

Oh cool. My thought was that this would be an all-day project.

1 minute ago, nevsan said:

For whatever reason, burning the Reys/Nachos image on my 128GB card took forever :| But as far as set up is concerned if you use an existing image your pretty much set other than tweaks.

I want something that will look really, really cool. I'm happy to have an image burn overnight if that's what it takes.

Mounting the 60GB Nacho image onto my 128GB card using the ApplePi-Baker app that @Stejay linked to earlier in the thread took about 90 mins I think. The progress bar didn't move in a linear fashion (getting faster towards the end) so I thought it was going to take much longer.

59 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Taken the plunge and ordered the Pi3! Hopefully going to set it up with my Hori Fightstick and existing Dual Shock 4 (although it may conflict with my PS4)

I've got a Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition (PS3 version) but it turns out it won't work with Retropie.

Can I just check something because I'm confusing myself?

My main three options for this are:

Basic Retropie image (put my own roms on)

Nachos 64gb image (comes with roms and fancier interface)

Reys 128gb image (comes with roms and even fancier interface)

Edit: Can I put all the roms on a USB stick and just leave that in the Raspberry Pi?

Edited by Rex Grossman

3 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

Edit: Can I put all the roms on a USB stick and just leave that in the Raspberry Pi?

Yes, but you have to point the emulators to your USB stick and rom directory, which is a bit of a pain.

23 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I've got a Mad Catz Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition (PS3 version) but it turns out it won't work with Retropie.

I have a usb madcatz pad and mame will not recognize the hat. The other buttons are ok though.

On 22-2-2017 at 14:06, sir shrew said:

For the sake of £20, as money is tight, is a 64gb more than enough space compared to 128gb? 

I'm guessing it will mean forgoing much of the 32-bit generation.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Cool, thanks. So having everything on the SD card is the way to go? I don't want to have the roms stored on my main computer.

Yes, also because it's handier. Just put everything you want on there. FWIW everything up to the 32bit generation will fit on a 128GB card, by this I mean complete sets and even a complete set of mame roms including all the duplicates/hacks/regional versions. The only thing you would forego are the cd-based systems, SegaCD and PS1. For those you'd have to make do with a few select games to fill up the remaining space.

I just checked and the entire No-Intro collection, all platforms and all games, together with the entire Mame2003 reference set takes up 80GB!  So if sir shrew were to omit (mostly Mame) games that didn't interest him,  he should be fine with a measly 64GB :)

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes, also because it's handier. Just put everything you want on there. FWIW everything up to the 32bit generation will fit on a 128GB card, by this I mean complete sets and even a complete set of mame roms including all the duplicates/hacks/regional versions. The only thing you would forego are the cd-based systems, SegaCD and PS1. For those you'd have to make do with a few select games to fill up the remaining space.

I just checked and the entire No-Intro collection, all platforms and all games, together with the entire Mame2003 reference set takes up 80GB!  So if sir shrew were to omit (mostly Mame) games that didn't interest him,  he should be fine with a measly 64GB :)

I think I'll go for a 128gb in that case. I have a hefty NES/SMS/SNES/MD/GBA collection that I've got how I want on a JXD700B. I'd like to transfer these then get Mame2003 and use the remaining space for PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast I think.

So if this is what I want then I should avoid Nacho and Rey?

5 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I think I'll go for a 128gb in that case. I have a hefty NES/SMS/SNES/MD/GBA collection that I've got how I want on a JXD700B. I'd like to transfer these then get Mame2003 and use the remaining space for PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast I think.

So if this is what I want then I should avoid Nacho and Rey?

IMO if you already have a collection how you want and ready to go, it would be easier to just do a vanilla install and transfer those roms over. Or else you'd be stuck editing the Nachos or Rey collections to get them just right, which would take up a lot more time if their selections don't match up with yours. AFAIK Saturn is a no-go on a Raspbery Pi -  that platform is notoriously hard to emulate.. PS1 is fine, but with Dreamcast only a select few games run acceptably well from what I've heard.

Edit: you could also try and download Nachos to see what it's like. Why not? If it's not what you want, you can always format the card and do a vanilla install instead.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

IMO if you already have a collection how you want and ready to go, it would be easier to just do a vanilla install and transfer those roms over. Or else you'd be stuck editing the Nachos or Rey collections to get them just right, which would take up a lot more time if their selections don't match up with yours. AFAIK Saturn is a no-go on a Raspbery Pi -  that platform is notoriously hard to emulate.. PS1 is fine, but with Dreamcast only a select few games run acceptably well from what I've heard.

Brilliant – thanks.

TBH I've only got a handful of Saturn and Dreamcast games that are playable on the JXD so my expectations are low on that score.

Latest news: my lovely NES30 Pro controller should arrive Saturday and I finally started to rewrite the opening post. For now I only managed to add the new intro section, explaining the three basic options for getting RetroPie to work. The rest will follow asap!

Edit: oh and I finished the metadata for Vectrex, SNES, PC Engine, Virtual Boy, PS1, SegaCD and 32X in my own upcoming pre-built image. Well, almost. Still need to tighten up the text a bit wherever possible but every game has an image and basic info to go with it. Not looking forward to doing MAME, will save that for last! :P

I've bought a Raspberry Pi 3, a case, a psu, official wifi dongle and a 128gb card and downloaded the 64gb nacho image.  Looking forward to checking it out :) 

I have one of those USB dongles for using Xbox 360 controllers with a PC.  Does anyone know if they support two controllers simultaneously?  It's ages since I've used it.

1 minute ago, Mr Monday said:

I've bought a Raspberry PI 3, a psu and a 128gb card and downloaded the 64gb nacho image.  Looking forward to checking it out :) 

I have one of those USB dongles for using Xbox 360 controllers with a PC.  Does anyone know if they support two controllers simultaneously?  It's ages since I've used it.

It supports 4 controllers simultaneously (you can tell from the circle of light around the guide button). I expect the RetroPie to be no different. but I haven't tested it myself. Be sure to install the 360 drivers! Retropie setup > manage packages > manage driver packages > xboxdrv

And from the new and improved guide on the first page:

Note: First thing you need to do after burning a pre-built image on to an SD card is expand the image partition to use all the available storage space. That's especially important when you use a much bigger card, like a 200GB SD card for Rey's image or a 128GB one for Nachos' 64GB image:

• In EmulationStation go to 'RetroPie'
  • Select 'Raspi-config'
  • Select 'Advanced Options'
  • Select 'Expand Filesystem' and OK

The missus and my little boy were still asleep so I managed to add a bit more to the new guide this morning. :) You can see where I had to stop when my boy woke up. Managed to get most of the way through section 3 - dem games.

The rewritten bits now contain a lot more info, but imo it's now also clearer and easier to follow. Any feedback and/or tips is appreciated of course! 

Is there a simple way to install something like Nacho's image but just get the files? Without actually wiping an SD card? I have retropie installed and working so I don't really want to have to wipe and start again, but I installed it clean and I figure the Nacho's thing is a good way to get ROMs.

I suppose I could do that with a spare SD card but I was wondering if there was a way to just sort of do it on windows and extract the files from the image.