IGNORED

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

12 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

I do have one question.  My TV says that the Raspberry Pi is outputting 50hz.  How do I change this to 60hz?  I'm getting tearing when games scroll and assume the frame rate difference is the cause.

Edit the config.txt with the HDMI mode you want from this list:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md

(You can do this on your PC as it's a file on the PC mountable portion of the SD card)

For 1080p at 60hz it's:

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

Just to be sure: you are using a wired controller  (for the first use,  before you've had the chance to set up Bluetooth controllers) and you're holding a button on the controller like it says instead of just pressing it?

Haven't had the time to mess with my RetroPie or work on the guide lately. What little free time I had, I've put into Yakuza 0 because I really want to finish it before starting Zelda. Too many games :D

7 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

What controller are you trying to use?

8 Bit Do

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just to be sure: you are using a wired controller  (for the first use,  before you've had the chance to set up Bluetooth controllers) and you're holding a button on the controller like it says instead of just pressing it?

Haven't had the time to mess with my RetroPie or work on the guide lately. What little free time I had, I've put into Yakuza 0 because I really want to finish it before starting Zelda. Too many games :D

Nope, didn't realise that.  Right will try again. doh.

Weird thing is back when I tried it initially on the other card I had it did detect it.  The raspberry pi also detects it on the main desktop.  Just emulation station doesn't.

1 hour ago, Blu3Flame said:

Edit the config.txt with the HDMI mode you want from this list:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md

(You can do this on your PC as it's a file on the PC mountable portion of the SD card)

For 1080p at 60hz it's:

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

Thanks I'll give it a try.

EDIT That worked a treat  - thanks.  The scrolling is still a bit choppy but definitely better.  I'll try switching the shader off.

Well plugged in the wireless controller via usb and it detected it.  It now boots and launches as it should but still can't get it to detect via wireless.  I also have no sound via hdmi which I understand is a common thing.

Right finally making progress on this.  Got the controller working via bluetooth (I'd missed the step where you go into retropies bluetooth setup AFTER you've mapped it with it connected the first time as mentioned).  Only thing left to sort out is why I don't have any sound through tv speakers.  I've done the force sound hdmi option and that has had no effect.  Going to leave it till later to sort it out.

Has anyone had any joy getting the latest retropie official image working on a pi zero w yet? I imgburned it to a 8 gig microSD twice and both times I'm getting the rainbow screen of death on boot attempt. Is the w not supported yet? I thought the architecture was the same, but I guess with bluetooth and wifi on board it might not work now.

24 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Has anyone had any joy getting the latest retropie official image working on a pi zero w yet? I imgburned it to a 8 gig microSD twice and both times I'm getting the rainbow screen of death on boot attempt. Is the w not supported yet? I thought the architecture was the same, but I guess with bluetooth and wifi on board it might not work now.

Need to either stick the SD into an older Pi and update the image, or use a newer image than the one on the download page.

This should work: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_knGioK16E6eXJIZEtnMDJTeVk

Did anyone have any luck finding a working Nacho's torrent or download link? The magnet link on the video doesn't seem to have any seeders. Is it just a case of waiting around for someone to turn on their machine? :)

ETA: Ignore that. The link worked, but for some reason my Pi torrent client wasn't downloading. Firing up stinky old uTorrent on the PC that the Pi replaced set it away downloading.

1 hour ago, Dr_Dave said:

Did anyone have any luck finding a working Nacho's torrent or download link? The magnet link on the video doesn't seem to have any seeders. Is it just a case of waiting around for someone to turn on their machine? :)

ETA: Ignore that. The link worked, but for some reason my Pi torrent client wasn't downloading. Firing up stinky old uTorrent on the PC that the Pi replaced set it away downloading.

For some reason Nachos takes awhile to get going anyway.  Still not got anywhere with the sound issues I mentioned earlier :(

My Famicom and NES 8bitdo controllers arrived today.  They're lovely but a bit smaller than I was expecting.  It mentions something in the instructions about having to hold a different button when you switch them on for two player mode.  Has anyone else been crazy enough to buy a pair and shed any light?  I would give it a go but my wife is watching a film via Exodus on Kodi :unsure:

EDIT I think the player two button combo on startup might just be for when it's in keyboard emulation mode.

On 04/03/2017 at 20:14, davidcotton said:

Right finally making progress on this.  Got the controller working via bluetooth (I'd missed the step where you go into retropies bluetooth setup AFTER you've mapped it with it connected the first time as mentioned).  Only thing left to sort out is why I don't have any sound through tv speakers.  I've done the force sound hdmi option and that has had no effect.  Going to leave it till later to sort it out.

From personal experiance the sound issue is down to certain TV types and there are edits to the config you can do but none seem to work for me on my bedroom TV (all works fine on the games room TV).

Gave up in the end and hooked up a pair of PC speaker from the jack on the RPi and all works fine now.

Probably not the answer you want but maybe an option! - test with headphones to make sure it is actually working?

On 12/03/2017 at 21:43, sir shrew said:

Just a standard usb pad would do the job but the cheap pads have bad reviews on Amazon, complaints about d-pad input inaccuraxy. @kernow Any specific ones you can vouch for? (And thx!)

oh yes, thius is true actually. maybe i shouldnt have straight reccomended them. the d-pad diagonals are occasionally to responsive or too unresponsive. very minorly though. still could be an issue i guess. spend the bick bucks to get a 360 controller or summin

New retropie is out

highlighted some interesting additions

A lot has happened since 4.1, with updates to EmulationStation adding video support and fixing the dreaded white screen of death. Many packages have been updated and RetroPie 4.2 includes the latest RetroArch v1.5.0 as well as Kodi 17 (installed optionally).

There are new experimental packages including lr-beetle-saturn (a Saturn emulator for x86_64 only), and DraStic (Nintendo DS emulator for RPI only) amongst others.

The pre-made Raspberry Pi 1/Zero image will now work on the new Pi Zero W. RetroPie 4.2 also includes initial support for the ODroid-C2 board (installed on top of the Odroid C2 Ubuntu minimal image).

You’ll also notice that the documentation has received a much needed update at https://retropie.org.uk/docs/.

There are many other changes, including usability improvements, and bug fixes – for more details please see the changelog below.

You can download a 4.2 image from https://retropie.org.uk/download/. For first installs please follow the Installation Instructions. If updating from 4.0.x you should make a backup first then choose Update all installed packages from RetroPie-Setup main menu. Anyone upgrading from 3.x will need to update the RetroPie-Setup script first. See the upgrade instructions for more details.

You can also install RetroPie on top of an existing Raspbian set up, or on top of Ubuntu on a PC/Odroid-C1/C2. Links to the relevant instructions can be found on the Download area.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this release with a special mention to fieldofcows for his excellent EmulationStation improvements.

Changes since 4.1:

EmulationStation Improvements

Video Support

White Screen of Death Fix

Support for the ODroid-C2  (on top of the Ubuntu 16.04 minimal image).

Kodi 17 now installable from optional packages.

AdvanceMame has been updated and split into three separate packages –  0.94, 1.4 and v3.3.

Updated to RetroArch v1.5.0

To match upstream changes, lr-mupen64plus has been renamed to lr-parallel-n64, and lr-glupen64 has been renamed to lr-mupen64plus.

Fixed launching Pixel desktop and other X11 apps from Emulation Station.

Fixed problems building Zdoom, ResidualVM and Mupen64Plus and PPSSPP.

Doom ports will automatically add launch scripts if it finds doom1.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, or plutonia.wad.

lr-snes9x emulator added – a libretro port of the current snes9x codebase.

Added Amiberry (an Amiga emulator), which is an updated fork of uae4arm, with more features.

Multi disk zip support for Vice (C64 emulator), fs-uae, uae4arm and Amiberry (Amiga). You can now launch Amiga disk images directly from Emulation Station with uae4arm and Amiberry.

Standalone version of Stella (Atari 2600 emulator) updated to v4.7.3.

usbromservice – support mounting of usb stick over ~/RetroPie to keep roms on USB.

Ability to set custom ES themes in configs/all/platforms.cfg (can override any setting in RetroPie-Setup/platforms.cfg).

SDL2 updated to 2.0.5. Our patched SDL2 is now used on the PC version of RetroPie, which should resolve an issue with ps3 controller mapping.

Sselph’s scraper updated to the latest version, and new options added. Scraper has been moved to optional packages and needs to be installed before it will show up in configuration / tools.

Include PowerBlock and ControlBlock driver packages.

Input configuration script for Daphne.

RetroPie-Setup menus now works with all connected joysticks (mapping is still hardcoded).

Updated RPI detection code to support BRANCH=next firmware/kernel.

Overhaul of the runcommand launch script.

Raspbian Wheezy support removed.

Support Xbian on RPI,  and Devuan, Elementary OS, and Neon on X86.

Added emulationstation themes: fundamental, futura, and flat.

New packages added to experimental section:

lr-mrboom (an 8 player bomberman clone).

lr-mame2016 (Arcade emulator).

lr-mess2016 (Multiple omputers/console emulator).

DraStic (Nintendo DS Emulator – RPI only).

lr-beetle-saturn (Sega Saturn emulator – x86_64 only).

Minivmac (Macintosh Plus Emulator).

Quasi88 (NEC PC-8801 emulator).

np2pi (NEC PC-9801 emulator).

Xm7 (FM-7 / Fujitsu Micro 7 emulator).

Mehstation and Attract-Mode Frontends.

launchingimages (a script from Meleu to generate system launch images based on installed Emulation Station themes).

Many other code changes and bugfixes.

Also, there is an interesting release on Arcade Punks, no roms with it and its 55 gig

http://www.arcadepunks.com/hyperpie-ultimate-cross-hyperspin-retropie-project-hyperpie-launch-gem-image/

Thats a pretty good update, especially the inclusion of a Sega Saturn emu. Wonder how well that works on a P3?

Still wishing for a BBC emulator and an easier way to include overlays/bezels and borders.

Love this kit :)

Some help please people!!

I have just downloaded the Nacho 64gb image, and burnt its image (via pi baker on a Mac - that implied everything went successfully) to a brand new sd card, and when I put it in the PI and turn it on, I get nothing but a black screen.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Thanks in advance