Rebellion and the 2000AD license

There's a bit of of a love-in going on for the ace Sniper Elite 4 in the Gamepass thread (also by Rebellion) which made me wonder - what, if anything, have Rebellion got planned for the 2000AD license they're sitting on? As most of us here are old enough to have words like Zarjaz and Drokk in our vocabulary and the Strontium Dog game was a bit of a sleeper hit around here and still one of the best examples of a cover shooter, I'm guessing there must be a strong interest in 200AD characters and worlds making their way to games.

Any ideas if anything is coming and why nothing has been released yet? Rebellion's news page has nothing at all about future 2000AD games but something must be in development. https://rebellion.com/news/

And what games would you like to see based on this terrific license? I haven't flicked through a prog in years but did wonder - how has the world of 2000AD aged, and would the characters and stories work in the actual 2000s?

12 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

And what games would you like to see based on this terrific license?

A crossover with From Software on a Slain game? 

I think a Chopper/Supersurf game could be amazing. Like a cross between Wipeout/F-Zero and 1080, zipping around the mega-city skyline while avoiding the Judges.

ABC Warriors game farmed out to the Coalition. 

Swap characters on the fly rather than change weapons? With vehicle sections as mek-quake for the big jobs. 

Joe pineapples can also be in his normal look a la my avatar or in some fancy ladies clothing. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

They should license it to Capcom in 1993 for a Beat-Em-Up. Oh yes

License it to Sumo Digital for a kart racer-cum-spiritual successor to Sonic & Sega All-stars Racing Transformed.

Rebellion have spoken about this, they put a public request for developers to get in touch with ideas for licensed games a year or more ago. I get the impression they're not all that interested in making 2000AD games at this point. The video games part of Rebellion are mostly concentrating on original IP, the comics section is still cranking out 2000AD and also now own a huge archive of other british comics, and of course now they're looking to become a film and TV studio. 

That's not to detract from the original post, of course. There's endless possibilities for 2000AD games. I'd love:

• a giant open world Mega City One for a straight up Judge Dredd game. Give it some decent shooting mechanics and plenty of crazy cits. 
  • Sinister Dexter linear shooter, concentrating on gunplay with plenty of different weapons and a stupid gangster story.
  • Assassin's Creed 1 style Strontium Dog bounty hunting game, with contracts and that
  • Slaine brawler - Warp spasms!
  • Termight Tunnels driving and killing game

etc!

Proving I've my finger on the pulse of both the gaming Zeitgeist and comic trends, I'd love a The New Ballad of Halo Jones point and click adventure.

There’s a treasure trove of great licenses, but not sure how many are big names outside the UK.  Having said that, if we’re dreaming:

Button Man. Like a more kinetic Hitman - crossed with the Hunger Games.

The VCs.  Either as a Stellaris style 4x, or a third person shooter.

Bad Company. Squad based shooter. With Apocalypse Now vibes

Mean Arena. 3D future sports/brawler hybrid.

Of the modern stuff, Kingdom is a great source. Rescue the Earth from Them. Breed new creatures to fight and discover ancient tech to help win back your planet.

Number 1 has to be an open world game featuring Joe Dredd. Imagine chasing down perps in a Mega City One as detailed as Cyberpunk 2077's Night City.

Strontium Dogs - Battle Royale.

Slaine - Souls style RPG.

Rogue Trooper - Squad shooter.

Ace Trucking Co. - Space exploration/trading hi-jinks.

Halo Jones - Slow burn adventure.

Zenith - Superhero FPS/RPG hybrid.

Lots of potential.

Funny I should see this topic now. This past week I was going through some old 2000 AD issues.

There's an enormous quantity of strips. Like stupidly huge.

I quite liked Finn and Missionary Man.

4 hours ago, Don Rosco said:
  • a giant open world Mega City One for a straight up Judge Dredd game. Give it some decent shooting mechanics and plenty of crazy cits. 

sam-slater-dreddvsdeath1.jpg?1589684870

Slap a UI on it and pitch it to Rebellion.

Why is this IP so underused? I don't get why it hasn't been used at all in recent console generations.

I know nothing about 2000AD except the good Dredd movie and the bad one, but it seems like you could do a procedural corridor-stitching thing to make random levels in a tower block, put two Judge players in there and as many respawning goon players as the servers will handle and just print money.

34 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

sam-slater-dreddvsdeath1.jpg?1589684870

Slap a UI on it and pitch it to Rebellion.

Why is this IP so underused? I don't get why it hasn't been used at all in recent console generations.

I think the most likely reason is that Rebellion are scared shitless of fucking it up. I think an open world Megacity would be amazing. My pitch would be you start as a rookie going through the ranks, and set the game over a number of years when you become either great, or you go a bit rogue. I wouldn't want to play as Dredd, nor do I think it's possible to make a truly great game where you play as him. 

But the world! Fucking hell, it's almost the perfect gaming landscape.

Rocksteady would have been a great pick if I had a choice!

On 05/03/2021 at 19:14, JoeK said:

I think the most likely reason is that Rebellion are scared shitless of fucking it up. I think an open world Megacity would be amazing. My pitch would be you start as a rookie going through the ranks, and set the game over a number of years when you become either great, or you go a bit rogue. I wouldn't want to play as Dredd, nor do I think it's possible to make a truly great game where you play as him. 

Judging by the one attempt at a Dredd game back in 2002, which quite possibly (and mercifully) passed everyone by, stringent quality control is not the issue here.

The biggest problem is that no publisher would/will fund any further attempts at doing something with 2000AD IP, not after the disastrous Dredd and fun but not exactly smash-hit Rogue Trooper, and certainly not when Rebellion want to retain ultimate creative control. Up until pretty recent years, everything that Rebellion ever made was done as a job for hire for a publisher. It represents a huge risk to try and talk a publisher into: unproven, comparatively niche IP and a fairly unprecedented and weirdly circular position where the publisher no longer has final say because the developer they're employing actually owns the IP. (Nothing against 2000AD but, in comparison to the Marvel and DC stables, it's a much harder sell.)

The other problem is that the middle ground that Rebellion used to ply while doing this work, between AAA and indie, barely exists any longer.

In principle, off the back of more recent success with the Sniper franchise, maybe they could do something independently, but that now means bringing the risk in-house instead. Rather safer to keep turning out Zombie Army sequels. Even then, they're hardly going to be springing for an open world jaunt rivalling Cyberpunk.