IGNORED

We Own This City - HBO and David Simon back to Baltimore

JohnC

Bernthal has an incredible knack for making me viscerally uncomfortable, whether it be from an extremely convincing performance of fragile volatility (e.g.: this, Fury, etc), or just appearing in scenes where some bad shit is imminent (Wind River).

I'd be intrigued to see him in a light-hearted rom-com or something.

I'd forgotten this was a miniseries, so was sad to see there's only 6 episodes and already half way though. It is as good as you'd expect from this team.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this up tonight and thought it was a tremendous piece of work. And even though it's a true story there was some real shocks in the last episode. An excellent, low-key companion to The Wire that didn't overstay it's welcome over the 6 episodes. 

I've signed back up to Now for a month so I can watch this. There's also a few other series the I'm interested in too so a tenner seems ok.

But by Christ, the service and quality are so far below what I'd expect from a streaming service in 2022. Its even shitter than it was when I last binned it last year. There's fucking actual unskippable adverts in the middle of episodes now, which didn't happen last time. Even if you pay the extra monthly fee for the upgrade to get rid, that gets you only a 1080HD picture (up from their standard 720) No 4k or HDR as far as I can gather. Really poor.

Anyway, I've finished 1st and 2nd EPs of this and I'm really enjoying it, reckon I'll binge the lot by Friday at this rate. So good to have something new from the Wire guys. And set in Baltimore too. Cracking stuff.

On 05/06/2022 at 17:34, Peter St John said:

So I've watched this twice now…and I can't help but think that it would have been much better as a straight 90m documentary.

Yes, have to admit that while it's well made, and there are a lot of fine actors doing fine work, I don't think I liked this very much.  And you've made me realise it's because it feels like it didn't need to be a drama. Or at least not a drama structured in the way they chose.

Are all episodes available? Keep totally forgetting about this. Didn't seem to bring much hype or media attention in the UK.

I’m around 4 episodes into this and I’m not really feeling it. It seems to want me to be all shocked and morally outraged by what’s going on but it’s been a long time since The Wire and I’m just kind of numb to it all. It’s incredibly dry in comparison too. 

I thought this was excellent. The build up over the six episodes was really well handled. Seeing how the case came together and the way it affected each Character had me hooked.

My favourite series from Simon since Treme I reckon.

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2022 at 17:34, Peter St John said:

So I've watched this twice now…and I can't help but think that it would have been much better as a straight 90m documentary.

Going to agree and disagree. When it started I was thinking why is this only 6 episodes, I hope this never ends. However when I got to episode 4 or so it just felt like repeated bad cop does bad thing. I still really enjoyed it but it seemed like it needed editing down to 3 or 4 tight episodes and could have made the same point.

I got bored during the first 2 (and I usually love Simon's stuff), the time jumps seemed gimmicky for no great purpose and annoyed rather than intrigued me.

Had the remaining eps sat there for a few weeks now unwatched, with no inclination to do so.

Needs a chronological order re-cut, in the right place the time jump stuff can be super effective but don't see why they felt the need to crowbar it into this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2022 at 18:16, Minion said:

The Deuce was excellent.

On 16/03/2022 at 18:22, ZOK said:

Yep, loved The Deuce!

On 16/03/2022 at 18:36, Vespa Alex said:

Never watched The Wire, but The Deuce was superb so will definitely acquire this.

This is not the right thread I know, but I love The Wire and hadn’t seen any other David Simon project until We Own This City. Which was great. 

But I’ve just watched all of The Deuce after the above comments and holy hell what a show. There’s stuff throughout the final season that will stick with me forever. And it just sticks the landing so perfectly in a way that even The Wire didn’t quite pull off. 

Partly furious that I hadn’t seen it until now. But mostly just wanted to say thanks!

Opinion seems to be split on Treme, but I really liked that too. Even just spending time with the characters not necessarily doing anything, just taking in the atmosphere or whatever. But a lot of people didn't like it.

On 21/08/2022 at 20:05, StephenM said:

This is not the right thread I know, but I love The Wire and hadn’t seen any other David Simon project until We Own This City. Which was great. 

But I’ve just watched all of The Deuce after the above comments and holy hell what a show. There’s stuff throughout the final season that will stick with me forever. And it just sticks the landing so perfectly in a way that even The Wire didn’t quite pull off. 

Partly furious that I hadn’t seen it until now. But mostly just wanted to say thanks!

That landing requires you to go with it, but its one of my favourite all time endings. From the (spoilers) hotel gunshot to the (spoilers) long lonely haunted walk. Thats how you end a show!

8 hours ago, Turino 73 said:

That landing requires you to go with it, but its one of my favourite all time endings. From the (spoilers) hotel gunshot to the (spoilers) long lonely haunted walk. Thats how you end a show!

Absolutely. My two favourite endings of all time are Six Feet Under and The Leftovers but this has now created a holy trinity of powerhouse ways to finish a show. 

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but just finished this. Enjoyed it, really well made, some good characters but not up there with the best of David Simon, which is god tier stuff. Very compelling all the same - burned through the six episodes once I started.