How do I get into Marvel?

But the second Ant Man is probably the weakest point in the entire MCU. Even worse than Thor: The Dark World. It's just so bland. 

Logan

Deadpool

GotG 1

Winter Soldier

Thor 3

You should enjoy all of these. If you're still game after this fill in the blanks and then watch Infinity War and Endgame.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm not really into Marvel films or comics and I've got some serious FOMO, especially with everyone going on about this new WandaVision. The last films I properly enjoyed were the Sam Raimi Spider-Man ones when I was about 13. Off the top of my head, since then I've seen:

• The X-Men prequel, the one with James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender. That was quite good, although the sequel to the prequel (was that the one with Kevin Bacon?) wasn't as good.
  • One of the Avenger films. Don't ask me which one. Lots of aliens attacking New York City, I think. It was suitably spectacular, but the pacing felt off - the second half of the film just felt like one massive action scene with no let up and I got a bit bored.
  • The Hulk film with Ed Norton. I remember it being a lot better than the Hulk film with Bruce Bana. That was shite.
  • One of the Thors, the one with Natalie Portman. Crap, I thought.
  • One of the Andrew Garfield Spider-Mans. I thought it was entirely unnecessary as it just re-told the origin story that they did in the first Tobey Maguire film, which hadn't been released that long ago before this came out.
  • Iron Man 1 and 2. 1 was quite good, although Robert Downey gets up my nose after a while. 2 I remember thinking was just stupid.

If you didn't like Avengers Assemble then you're not really going to like any of the movies to be honest.

The X-Men movies are not MCU.

Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies are not MCU.

Hulk was technically not MCU, they decided to use some of it and shot a post credit sequence when they decided to setup Marvel Studios but it's not MCU in tone.

Thor the Dark World is the worst MCU movie by such a long way, the tone is all wrong.

You don't have to watch all the of the MCU immediately to appreciate it, but all of the stuff that's been and gone interlink but it's not completely crucial.

My advice would be, watch Guardians of the Galaxy, watch Doctor Strange, watch Thor Ragnarok and if you're not into it after that, you have no soul and i'll no longer speak to you.

Another vote for release order here, although you can definitely skip Hulk and not miss anything of note.

I really don't see what you'd get out of chronological order, at least on a first watch. The films were released in "phases" which you'd end up mixing up. You'd get characters introduced who you wouldn't see again for ages, and even the odd little spoiler.

48 minutes ago, krenzler said:

Logan

Deadpool

GotG 1

Winter Soldier

Thor 3

You should enjoy all of these. If you're still game after this fill in the blanks and then watch Infinity War and Endgame.

So Logan is MCU, but X-Men isn't?

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

So Logan is MCU, but X-Men isn't?

The MCU doesn't include anything that references X-Men, Deadpool, Wolverine/Logan, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, any Spider-Man movie that isn't Tom Holland as Peter Parker and anything Marvel character related that pre-dates Iron-Man.

It's all a bit of a mess due to rights, when Marvel were just a comicbook company they sold the rights to the Mutant's to Fox, Spider-Man to Sony and Hulk to Universal, a while before Disney bought Marvel they decided to setup Marvel Studios and started taking more creative control over the movies.

While Universal had the rights to Hulk, it was only for anything that was a standalone 'Hulk' movie or TV Show, which is why Hulk can appear in the avengers movies and in other movies along the way.

Sony had a much tighter arrangement for the Spider-Man/Spider-Verse but are currently playing nicely with Disney and allowing Marvel to make the Spider-Man movies with them and to keep him aligned with the MCU.

The situation with Fox is now resolved as Disney own them as well taking back the rights to the Mutant's/X-Men universe.

Moving forwards Marvel have confirmed Deadpool will be part of the MCU with his next movie being based in the MCU.

I’m genuinely surprised by how many people like Dr Strange, it’s so boring. Maybe slightly better than The Dark World but right down there in terms of quality. 

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I liked Doctor Strange. It's not one of my favourites, but it tried to do something a bit different.

It did with the visuals but the plot was just ok and didn't match the ambition of the visual style- I wish they just jumped right in with Dr Strange having mad adventures rather than doing the "chosen one" origin.

Only Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 are essential, I think. Captain Marvel is very good, too. The first Captain America has aged a bit but probably has some of the best characters in the whole franchise. 

After those, watch Infinity War and Endgame.

6 hours ago, Camel said:

Logan is such a great film you should watch it regardless.

I find Deadpool annoying outside of small doses. Sorry everyone.

No you are right, I only own one Deadpool book and that’s all I will ever need.

The films were annoying as well after the first 15 mins.

Captain Marvel is pretty good but imagine how much better it would be if the main character was likeable in any way. Probably stays true to the Marvel material though.

Just now, Camel said:

Captain Marvel is pretty good but imagine how much better it would be if the main character was likeable in any way. Probably stays true to the Marvel material though.

Yep, they pretty much nailed her character from the comics, she has mellowed and become more likeable in recent years though.

19 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Looking back at that list, maybe I'm just not that into Marvel films and should probably stop while I'm ahead. Then again, I've got Disney Plus and it's plastered all over it, so I feel like I'm not getting my value for money if don't get into it.

Where should I start? I hear lots of people going on about Logan, the standalone one, but then that sounds more like an action-thriller in its own right which just happens to feature Wolverine, as opposed to something that's inextricably connected to the MCU.

I think you've seen enough comic book-based film material to figure out whether you're an acolyte or not by now.

I used to read some of the Marvel comics and could give zero fucks about other comic publishers, didn't really make much difference to how I view the various film material.

7 hours ago, Mogster said:

I liked Doctor Strange. It's not one of my favourites, but it tried to do something a bit different.

I'm fine with it too. Suffers from a few things. Mad's character motivation looking silly.  Yet another origin story. Another sky portal peril.  Mad's and Chiwetel are wasted.

The actual stand off with Dormammu is fun.

Tilda is ace.

46 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I'm fine with it too. Suffers from a few things. Mad's character motivation looking silly.  Yet another origin story. Another sky portal peril.  Mad's and Chiwetel are wasted.

The actual stand off with Dormammu is fun.

Tilda is ace.

Mads was a terrible choice because they should have saved him for the part of Dr. Doom FFS. It would have been so utterly perfect. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Mads was a terrible choice because they should have saved him for the part of Dr. Doom FFS. It would have been so utterly perfect. 

If Chris Evans can be Cap and Johnny Storm then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you are keen on WandaVision (and it is excellent) you need to get to a point of watching all The Avengers films to get the most from it, IMO.

So the good advice about hitting “phase 2” is where to start.  Thor Dark World I barely remember, but as mentioned Captain America and the Winter Soldier is brilliant, and I can’t even remember if I’ve seen Iron Man 3 :lol: 

The Avengers: Age of Ultron is messy, but important for the story.  Then you’re in “phase 3” which is Captain America Civil War, Thor Ragnarok etc.

The other film to check in with from a WandaVision POV is Captain Marvel, preferably before Avengers Infinity War & Endgame, I would say. 

Otherwise, Guardians of the Galaxy films are fab.  Doctor Strange I really liked.  Still need to see Ant Man.

I consider myself a fairly casual fan of the Marvel universe.  Never read the comics as a kid, really really enjoyed the first Avengers film and enjoy most of the films but never really to the point of repetition, for some reason.  I loved WandaVision but I’m aware there’s a lot of references I missed, though it doesn’t detract from my experience.  I’m now also watching Agents of SHIELD for the first time and really enjoying it, even though it’s completely out of chronological context now :D 

1 hour ago, sprite said:

and I can’t even remember if I’ve seen Iron Man 3

I'll go out on a limb and say it's objectively the worst Marvel film. It has some nice ideas (Stark's PTSD being the standout), but the original script with Rebecca Hall as the actual villain instead of a clichéd past love interest would likely have made for a much better film. 

There were problems at Marvel during this period which were only ironed out (sometimes I crack myself up) after one of the producers (Ike Perlmutter) was kicked out by Disney.

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'll go out on a limb and say it's objectively the worst Marvel film. It has some nice ideas (Stark's PTSD being the standout), but the original script with Rebecca Hall as the actual villain instead of a clichéd past love interest would likely have made for a much better film. 

There were problems at Marvel during this period which were only ironed out (sometimes I crack myself up) after one of the producers (Ike Perlmutter) was kicked out by Disney.

Conversely its probably top 5 for me. Definitely top 10.

What do they say, idiots and opinions....