Morning peeps,

I’ve been having a bit of a clear out and wondering what I should do with this bad boy:

It’s a Hong Kong version and I have a few typical games - Ocarina, Mario, Starfox oh Terisphere. 

I found a mentally priced one on eBay for over a grand!!!!

What are they actually worth - really have no idea?  

I’m guessing not much more than a standard import, although I think they play Uk and import as standard. 

50764163-1181-45ED-B212-004E2BD99D16.jpeg

28B56712-ED9D-4280-8FFE-6D58CA2CFBD0.jpeg

92CE08A7-5B9D-4F4D-B1C3-D26943134408.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Morning peeps,

I’ve been having a bit of a clear out and wondering what I should do with this bad boy:

It’s a Hong Kong version and I have a few typical games - Ocarina, Mario, Starfox oh Terisphere. 

I found a mentally priced one on eBay for over a grand!!!!

What are they actually worth - really have no idea?  

I’m guessing not much more than a standard import, although I think they play Uk and import as standard. 

50764163-1181-45ED-B212-004E2BD99D16.jpeg

28B56712-ED9D-4280-8FFE-6D58CA2CFBD0.jpeg

92CE08A7-5B9D-4F4D-B1C3-D26943134408.jpeg

I own one of these. They don't play UK pal games I had to get a converter for that. I still have mine but no box anymore more :( are they really worth a grand??

46 minutes ago, bplus said:

I own one of these. They don't play UK pal games I had to get a converter for that. I still have mine but no box anymore more :( are they really worth a grand??

I can’t believe they’re worth anything like that tbh. All the games I have are US I think so I have no idea about UK. Thinking about it you might be right. I got it in the first place to play US games after finding the UK Goldeneye too slow. 
Just trying to decide if it’s worth selling or if I should just keep it for posterity really. 

I'm sure I had this version, Hong Kong region. Bought it for crazy money (well, compared to what you could buy a pal console for less than year later) a good while before the UK console was released. Think I paid around six ton with a Mario 64 JPN cart. Melted the plastic pegs in the card slot so I could play USA carts. 

I'm pretty sure it was a Hong Kong and not a Japanese console anyway. I sold it on here or the Edge forum years ago to The Goat Keeper, I think it was to him. Boxed with inserts etc.

59 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

I can’t believe they’re worth anything like that tbh. All the games I have are US I think so I have no idea about UK. Thinking about it you might be right. I got it in the first place to play US games after finding the UK Goldeneye too slow. 
Just trying to decide if it’s worth selling or if I should just keep it for posterity really. 

I'm pretty certain the pal version of Goldeneye is supposed to be the better one in this case? Don't think there was a speed difference? But yeah I sold my pal N64 and bought one of these. Melted the tabs to play usa games.

4 minutes ago, bplus said:

I'm pretty certain the pal version of Goldeneye is supposed to be the better one in this case? Don't think there was a speed difference? But yeah I sold my pal N64 and bought one of these. Melted the tabs to play usa games.

I don’t get this then because I’ve never made any alterations to mine and it plays US games ok. 

2 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

I don’t get this then because I’ve never made any alterations to mine and it plays US games ok. 

Pal carts would fit in but not work. USA carts needed me to melt tabs off

15 minutes ago, bplus said:

Pal carts would fit in but not work. USA carts needed me to melt tabs off

Hmm well I defo haven’t done any melting of anything. I do remember having to use a converter to play Uk and then, after many many many hours play, loosing my entire Mario 64 progress due to some issue with the converter. I could barely speak for an hour and never played it again..

Must have been a JPN N64 I had then because like I mentioned too, I had to melt with a soldering iron little plastic posts under the cart trap door that prevented USA carts being inserted.

Was sure mine was a HK machine but if you can plug USA carts into yours and it's never had the posts removed then I'm mistaken and mine was a Japanese machine. Never tried UK carts in mine though, only JPN and USA NTSC. Paying almost a hundred for Turok from New Generation in Leeds, which I found from the back pages of Edge, will always be one of my most distinct gaming memories. I absolutely rinsed that game well beyond what was needed, all in a vain attempt of finding the Diplodocus Edge had said was in the game. It frigging wasn't.

It’s from jaded memory but I’m pretty sure they’re just Japanese units with HK 240V Power Supplies / packaging.

If you check the bottom of the machine after the model number it should say JPN but the power supply say HGK or something similar?

Some shipped with RF cables too like pal units did

Ah well, as mentioned the box is fab at least. 
I can’t quite bring myself to sell it so back in the loft it goes. I guess I should check if Ocarina at least works. Just so I know....