IGNORED

Splatoon 2: Revisited

kempstar

10 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I really need to fire this back up and play the Octo Expansion DLC. The single player quests of both Splatoon games were superb. 

Really? I had it in my head that they were supposed to be rubbish! I will play the single player then when I can pull myself away from Turf War. I dont have Octo Expansion. My son does, and loved it.

We've done n00b tips a few times, but...

Be hard to hit. This means swim speed up and run speed up buffs and keep moving. Learn how to circle quickly, pop up and hit. Learn how to - hnghghgh - shoot while jumping. Some weapons are more accurate when you jump (and some buffs also increase this). Shoot, duck, shoot.

Be hard to see. This means keep submerged when not inking, move slowly to be sneaky, and Ninja Squid-equipped clothing. Also use the environment to break line of sight and mask approaches - never cross an open area of ink when you can scoosh along a wall. Be sneaky, keep still, and you can ambush a bad guy.

Be a team player. Keep an eye on your teammates and back them up; two squids will usually beat one.

Play the objective. You don't get points for most kills - fixating on splatting your opponent gets you splatted in turn, and may miss an opportunity.

Ink. Even outside of turf war, the team that inks more territory has more freedom of movement, more cover, and tends to be the one that dominates play. At the very least, use your radar, identify routes inked by your opponent, and close them down. Your ink forces the bad guys to surface and reveal themselves before they approach.

3 hours ago, kempstar said:

Really? I had it in my head that they were supposed to be rubbish! I will play the single player then when I can pull myself away from Turf War. I dont have Octo Expansion. My son does, and loved it.

Both the single player campaigns of the Splatoon games were great, just a little short.

The Octo expansion has more meat in the bones for its single player component but it’s hard, very hard in places

Went back to it as well a couple of months ago and after not liking it initially... yeah, I like it a lot more now as well. Looking forward to Splatoon 3 because of it and it's been amazing to see how robust the online community is for it 2 years after Nintendo stopped releasing new content for it.

Splatoon 2 is one of the few multiplayer games I genuinely enjoy. I spend most of my time pootling around at the back with an ink roller but I still manage to feel I've contributed.

My son got really into it and put hundreds of hours into it in both single and multiplayer. It's a great game.

I'm slightly cynical about the need for a third instalment, especially if it's going to be on the same hardware - feels like it's a bit of a cash-in, where they could have just continued supporting the earlier game instead. But let's see where they go with it.

I've actually never played 2 outside of a quick demo pre-switch release, but used to play the first Splatoon almost daily on the Wii U.

Not sure how well it plays on the Switch, but it feels amazing to control on the Wii U gamepad - tilt aim etc is so intuitive and the gamepad is really a comfortable design - just the right weight etc to feel tactile when aiming.

The biggest shame is that I didn't know anyone with a Wii U to play online with lol.

It's a crime that a Nintendo's online infrastructure is so damn poor (and got even worse with the Switch!)

I played alot of Splatoon on the wiiu, loved a splatfest, and the fact that actually the point of the game was to get paint on the floor, not always to obliterate the opponents.

The second passed me by completely, and to the same extent my son who was quite into the first as well. One of the finest franchieses to come out of Nintendo ever imo. I may at some point have to dip into 3?

I really don't think it can be underestimated what a fine line it is, how difficult and how 'Nintendo' to produce what is a non violent shooter that succeeds in finding a huge audience and continued online popularity despite being in the era of CoD, Battlefield, PUBG, Fortnite etc

It's a really impressive balancing act and the only other thing I can think of is Plants v Zombies, but not sure that is in the same league as Splatoon.

On 07/03/2021 at 10:38, kempstar said:

Any other Splatoon 2 lovers about? Any tips for a relative noob?

Just grind, and grind, and grind. You'll go through phases of what weapons you think perform better than others.

Turf War doesn't feel competitive because a ranked mode for it doesn't exist. If it did, the best way to win would be to absolutely dominate the opponents. They can't paint floors if they're constantly dead.

On 10/03/2021 at 09:49, Garwoofoo said:

Splatoon 2 is one of the few multiplayer games I genuinely enjoy. I spend most of my time pootling around at the back with an ink roller but I still manage to feel I've contributed.

My son got really into it and put hundreds of hours into it in both single and multiplayer. It's a great game.

I'm slightly cynical about the need for a third instalment, especially if it's going to be on the same hardware - feels like it's a bit of a cash-in, where they could have just continued supporting the earlier game instead. But let's see where they go with it.

I’m happy for a third instalment just for some more single player content.

At the end of the day the online play is going to be broadly similar regardless 

• 8 months later...

Yeeesh. I went back in for old-times' sake.

Still no problem getting a game, but the level of play is much higher and much more kill/dominate focussed (in clam blitz, which is all I usually play). Seeing everyone in a game getting 12+ splats each (often apart from me 😞 ) does not seem unusual in the past couple of days.

On 07/03/2021 at 09:38, kempstar said:

I bought this on release day. [...]

At the time, my son was 4, so he didnt play it either. He is now 8, [...]

Wait, what?? Splatoon 2 came out 4 years ago? Fucking hell, this century's just whizzing by at a terrifying speed.

I haven't played in a good old while, but my favourite thing about it was always the way that concentrating on getting the most kills would usually fuck you over, while concentrating on painting as much of the map as you can (and killing when the opportunity arose) would generally help your team win. It felt like a shooter for people who don't like shooters (like me!)

I had never played Splatoon 1, so got in to 2 when it had that free online beta one weekend before launch. 

Got it at launch and was absolutely addicted. Part of this is the concept, as others have said, in that you can contribute even when you aren't killing. The paint mechanic is genius as it hits the OCD part of brain that doesn't want bare spots everywhere, whilst also aiding you characters silky movement abilities. The real masterstroke is that it is a visual metaphor for how your team are doing. If you're the purple team and you look up and see vast swathes of it everywhere, you know you are doing well, and can maybe push and be aggressive. You look around and see a sea of yellow, and you know you have work to do and to be cautious around corners etc. 

The other thing I like are the 3 minute games. In a lot of titles, PVP modes can take ages and just a session of 3-4 games can be a decent commitment in your evening. With Splatoon, 3 mins is short enough that you can easily have "just one more" and short enough that most matches feel quite intense. 

Sadly, after I got addicted to it for a month or two, inevitably I drifted off. PvP in generally doesn't really hold my attention and I imagine a big single player caught my eye in September 2017. I have quite a few PvP games I want to persist and keep playing (Destiny 2, SFV, this) but it's weird, in that to me, PVP feels more like a time waste. I buy an SP game and I can get to the end, feeling like I've accomplished something by beating it. With PVP, it's the same sort of modes over and over, with the fun being the game itself. It's weird that should feel more like a time waste. 

I will say though, that Splatoon is a game I did play just for fun. There wasn't really any grind for me. No battle pass and the levelling is pointless. I was just firing it up to play a few games and have fun. Just wish I'd stuck it on a little more over the years, as that intense 90 hours I spent with it around launch were brilliant and probably one of my freshest experiences this gen. 

The only grind worth persevering with is to get gear levelled up, but even then the gear is designed to get most bang from the primary slot, so 1- and 2- star gear is still useful.

That, and buying some of the later weapon variants as you level up. But a there're a lot of high-level players who dominate using pretty much starter weapons. The balancing in this game is so good.

• 2 months later...

I have recently acquired a second swicth and am interested in which games to have on both and best way to do this to maximise multiplayer. I have splatoon 2 already on a phyiscal cart and am debating whether I buy another copy digitally or physically.

My digital purchases I can already share between the primary and secondary switch to allow my two boys to play online together (provided one of them is happy using my profile on the secondary switch) but in this instance with one phyisical cart already am thinking better to buy another cart so they can both use their own profiles to play agianst each other- wouldnt fall foul of any issues with being subscribed to the switch online service as neither of them have that they are part of my family group subscription.

Thanks for any pointers on this.

At this stage in the games life I’d have thought  physical copy would be cheaper outside of sales.

We have one physical and my eldest has it digitally so the youngest uses my physical copy to play together. Can’t all play together all 3 of us but that wouldn’t change with 2 physical copies.

As long as the digital copy is either linked to a kids account or on the main/home account for the Switch they are using makes no odds I think.

If they are on your online sub they can use any Switch to play online.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm putting an hour or two into this again each evening on the run-up to Splatoon 3, if anyone fancies joining. I've always been terrible at the ranked modes (genuinely a constant C-rank terrible), which is the polar opposite to me rarely ever losing a Turf War all the way up into the level 70s, so I'm trying to remedy that a bit.

Friend code: 5601-5888-8299

On 13/08/2022 at 14:36, dataDave said:

I'm putting an hour or two into this again each evening on the run-up to Splatoon 3, if anyone fancies joining. I've always been terrible at the ranked modes (genuinely a constant C-rank terrible), which is the polar opposite to me rarely ever losing a Turf War all the way up into the level 70s, so I'm trying to remedy that a bit.

Friend code: 5601-5888-8299

Personally what helped me a lot with ranked mode was watching competition videos. Search up "Splatoon 2 world championship" or "splatoon 2 invitational" and you should find a bunch of stuff. Some of the North America Vs Japan matches from years ago in particular are superb. The commentators aren't everyone's cup of tea but I think they mostly do a good job of covering a game in which the winning team can change by the time they have finished what they were trying to say.

This game keeps on giving. It really is a fantastic game. Personally I'm not too keen on competitive online games anymore but Splatoon 2 is one of the few games I still enjoy playing online. 

I've high hopes for the third installment but can't help to feel a little anxious about its release as I fear that a considerable chunk of Switch owners have moved on to newer hardware and gotten spoilt by better online systems and a lot faster loading times. It's probably the skeptic in me talking and I'll welcome any new addition to this franchise with open arms but I'd love to live to see the day I get to play Splatoon online in 4k glory with ultra fast loading times.