Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

Goemon

Is anyone doing the trophies/achievements for this game?

I don’t get too focused on them normally but having them in this game gives you more reasons to play, which is nice.

I started opening up my Hard story mode run out to the public and was scaring people off left, right and centre! I imagine it’s the first time they’ve seen a game over as some of the later levels require some careful play otherwise you’ll game over fast.

One thing I just can’t figure out…why oh why did they make it so taunting gives you an instant special!? They have this nice juggle system to allow building up your special meter and it’s all negated because you can just taunt to get it. MP is turning into a complete special mash fest with everyone just taunting to max their specials and then using them all in the next wave of enemies. Such a shame as it kills a lot of strategy.

21 hours ago, Goemon said:

Is anyone doing the trophies/achievements for this game?

One thing I just can’t figure out…why oh why did they make it so taunting gives you an instant special!? They have this nice juggle system to allow building up your special meter and it’s all negated because you can just taunt to get it. MP is turning into a complete special mash fest with everyone just taunting to max their specials and then using them all in the next wave of enemies. Such a shame as it kills a lot of strategy.

I've got all bar one achievement so far, need to max out all the characters. The taunt charge is one of my biggest complaints with the game, the throws have a issue with unresponsive frames and a few of the bosses have too small windows for attack, it's like they want you to just super spam them.

Other than that this really is the best game, I've played all year and one of the best scrolling beat'em ups in a long time. They really got most of the feel and design of the original arcades, while attacking in some great new stuff. Glad to see it keeps the speed of the previous games and adds in the moveable run like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Just wish it had a upper and lower dodge like C&D had or Bare Knuckle 3.

Having a lot of fun doing the challenge, getting used to using the dodge button as well, as I didn't used it at first as so used to not having one. The combo system is great I've been able to start chaining enemies across all of stage one, been going for a no damage run. When you know what to do it quite easy to keep the combo across the whole stage.

here's me tackling the first few stages and I've improved even more since doing this:

20 minutes ago, Riven said:

I've got all bar one achievement so far, need to max out all the characters. The taunt charge is one of my biggest complaints with the game, the throws have a issue with unresponsive frames and a few of the bosses have too small windows for attack, it's like they want you to just super spam them.

Other than that this really is the best game, I've played all year and one of the best scrolling beat'em ups in a long time. They really got most of the feel and design of the original arcades, while attacking in some great new stuff. Glad to see it keeps the speed of the previous games and adds in the moveable run like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Just wish it had a upper and lower dodge like C&D had or Bare Knuckle 3.

Having a lot of fun doing the challenge, getting used to using the dodge button as well, as I didn't used it at first as so used to not having one. The combo system is great I've been able to start chaining enemies across all of stage one, been going for a no damage run. When you know what to do it quite easy to keep the combo across the whole stage.

here's me tackling the first few stages and I've improved even more since doing this:

Yea, I agree with those niggles. Actually linked to the trophies (and my other annoyance) I’m missing 2, the rank up everyone and beating super shredder without being hit.

I now REALLY dislike the beating super shredder trophy. I find this fight too random so essentially luck of the draw, made worse by the fact that you have to kill Krang every time, prior to having a go. I just spent an hour trying and had zero consistency. Nothing worse than spending minutes beating Krang, to last 2 seconds against Shredder because he dashes straight into you.

I also think you’re right that their focus was on capturing the original arcade feeling. I know people are saying it doesn’t have the depth of SoR but I don’t think it wants to. It wants to be a modern day version of the classic arcade, which IMO they’ve nailed.

22 hours ago, Goemon said:

Yea, I agree with those niggles. Actually linked to the trophies (and my other annoyance) I’m missing 2, the rank up everyone and beating super shredder without being hit.

I now REALLY dislike the beating super shredder trophy. I find this fight too random so essentially luck of the draw, made worse by the fact that you have to kill Krang every time, prior to having a go. I just spent an hour trying and had zero consistency. Nothing worse than spending minutes beating Krang, to last 2 seconds against Shredder because he dashes straight into you.

I also think you’re right that their focus was on capturing the original arcade feeling. I know people are saying it doesn’t have the depth of SoR but I don’t think it wants to. It wants to be a modern day version of the classic arcade, which IMO they’ve nailed.

I felt the same replaying Krang and Super Shredder, dodging Krang's attacks is pretty easy as you can sit in between his hands and his wave slam won't hurt you in you get the line up right and are right next to him.

Yeah the dash attack by Super Shredder is a bit random, but if you stay centre bottom or centre top, you can see when he's near you and will avoid most of his dash's, jump to the other side if it looks like he might line dash you. As for the flame waves, there is almost always a safe corner with them, where they won't hit you and stop just before hitting you. Even if you can't get to the safe corner stay as far back as possible so you have time to jump or get in between them. Charge your super during the green shield and use the jump slam super to take him down, splinter's run dash super does lots of damage as well. Always jump away from Shredder as he starts to recover or a shadow will hit you. Take advantages of the invulnerable frames in the dodge if needed too.

Most scrolling beat'em ups don't have that much depth, unless we are talking about something like Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara, which has branch routes, different equipment and character classes. What matters is the pace, the juggle system in this is far better than most games I've seen. Starting to see some great combo video in this using all the moves, wouldn't say SoR had that much depth myself it just got a lot of SEGA fans the third game has some great mechanics largely nicked from Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Which are badly missing in the 4th game, which is so sluggish in comparison to the 3rd, the fan game did it really well too. The staff at Tribute Games previously did Scott Pilgrim which was flawed in a couple of areas, Shredder Revenge is a huge improvement over the latter. I really enjoyed Fight'n Rage as well with its fast combat and branching routes.

17 hours ago, Riven said:

I felt the same replaying Krang and Super Shredder, dodging Krang's attacks is pretty easy as you can sit in between his hands and his wave slam won't hurt you in you get the line up right and are right next to him.

Yeah the dash attack by Super Shredder is a bit random, but if you stay centre bottom or centre top, you can see when he's near you and will avoid most of his dash's, jump to the other side if it looks like he might line dash you. As for the flame waves, there is almost always a safe corner with them, where they won't hit you and stop just before hitting you. Even if you can't get to the safe corner stay as far back as possible so you have time to jump or get in between them. Charge your super during the green shield and use the jump slam super to take him down, splinter's run dash super does lots of damage as well. Always jump away from Shredder as he starts to recover or a shadow will hit you. Take advantages of the invulnerable frames in the dodge if needed too.

Most scrolling beat'em ups don't have that much depth, unless we are talking about something like Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara, which has branch routes, different equipment and character classes. What matters is the pace, the juggle system in this is far better than most games I've seen. Starting to see some great combo video in this using all the moves, wouldn't say SoR had that much depth myself it just got a lot of SEGA fans the third game has some great mechanics largely nicked from Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Which are badly missing in the 4th game, which is so sluggish in comparison to the 3rd, the fan game did it really well too. The staff at Tribute Games previously did Scott Pilgrim which was flawed in a couple of areas, Shredder Revenge is a huge improvement over the latter. I really enjoyed Fight'n Rage as well with its fast combat and branching routes.

Thanks! I actually did it this morning!

Yea, I think always being at the top middle or bottom middle of the screen and jumping between the 2 depending on how he dashes is pretty critical.

Outside of this I was actually super optimised! It’s possible to land all 3 jumping supers in 1 opening and it’s possible to taunt charge them by being on his horizontal line when he fires out the circles of flames (quite strict positioning).

The other main problem was that I was playing on Gnarly, so the boss health is much higher. The other thing I did is replay through on Chill and as the damage you do is much higher it’s half the amount of times you need to dodge everything before you can beat him.

Chuffed to finally have this trophy, now I can just relax and playthrough with the different characters to max them out for the platinum.

I am admittedly half a bottle of wine deep (and I don't drink much at all) but that pitch perfect recreation of the cartoon intro (well, 'Ninja' aside) has got me on board within the 2 minutes it took. Memories of TV watching and Tuesday Club co-op of Turtles in Time flooding back like the critic from Ratatouille.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to take the bait. 

But what is it you hate about them?

I found them easy enough to navigate and avoid the traps etc, but the car boss can cause some hassle if you don't line yourself up correctly. 

And isn't the flying level the one with wing nut as the boss? If so, that's one of the easiest bosses in the game, as his pattern is so easy?

Sorry, wasn't trying to troll, they just genuinely frustrate me in a game I'm really enjoying.

I find the ability to tell where enemies are on-screen really difficult – but I'm finding this with all airborne enemies. The bat boss was no fun at all for me for the same reasons.

I could do without them, though thankfully the levels are short, so I'm just getting through them to get to the next fun part. (Again, to me :) )

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Sorry, wasn't trying to troll, they just genuinely frustrate me in a game I'm really enjoying.

I find the ability to tell where enemies are on-screen really difficult – but I'm finding this with all airborne enemies. The bat boss was no fun at all for me for the same reasons.

I could do without them, though thankfully the levels are short, so I'm just getting through them to get to the next fun part. (Again, to me :) )

Use their shadows to workout where they are.

What was said above. 

It's all about learning the little tricks as you go that will give you advantage. 

I know when it came to the road level, I would also time the spawns of the footsoldier bikes when they came on screen and how long before they left. 

Seems silly to count one Mississippi, two Mississippi in my head, but it worked for me. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got the physical version of this and it's really fantasic. It shines on the hard difficulty though, the easy one was an absolute cakewalk. 

Some of the most expressive (and impressive) spritework I have ever seen, it really feels like the 87 show come to life. Combat is fun with just enough moves / depth to keep things from getting stale.

The music by Tee Lopes is excellent too. Mall Meltdown might be the best track this year.

I'm up to stage 10, really taking my time as don't want to rush through it. I'm finding it a lot easier than the likes of SoR 4 and its a great way to earn the odd achievement when I need them for Gamepass as most challenges are easy enough to do in short blasts. Great game, its keeping me away from the Cowabunga collection at the moment 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be (shell) shocked if I play a better game this year. Played through the story mode with all characters to upgrade them to level 10, managed to beat shredder without a scratch, so moving on to arcade mode now for the platinum. 16 hours clocked up according to PSN. It was trying to finish levels without getting hit that made me realise how tight the combat actually is and the emphasis on dodging/evade and well timed counters make it a spectacular companion piece to the faster, more aggressive playstyle of Streets of Rage 4. 

Also it's definitely A Few Screws Loose , not Mall Meltdown, that is the best track. King of the Spill with its Metal Slug inspired samples is a tremendous bop too. That said, the whole game is full of bangers. Tee Lopes is an absolute treasure. 

So pleased these fantastic new belt scrollers are coming out after decades in the wilderness. Now if we can get a new Golden Axe, Final Fight or Shinobi from Dotemu they could be responsible for the holy trinity of modern retro revivals 😊

35 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'll be (shell) shocked if I play a better game this year. Played through the story mode with all characters to upgrade them to level 10, managed to beat shredder without a scratch, so moving on to arcade mode now for the platinum. 16 hours clocked up according to PSN. It was trying to finish levels without getting hit that made me realise how tight the combat actually is and the emphasis on dodging/evade and well timed counters make it a spectacular companion piece to the faster, more aggressive playstyle of Streets of Rage 4. 

Also it's definitely A Few Screws Loose , not Mall Meltdown, that is the best track. King of the Spill with its Metal Slug inspired samples is a tremendous bop too. That said, the whole game is full of bangers. Tee Lopes is an absolute treasure. 

So pleased these fantastic new belt scrollers are coming out after decades in the wilderness. Now if we can get a new Golden Axe, Final Fight or Shinobi from Dotemu they could be responsible for the holy trinity of modern retro revivals 😊

It's a toss up between this and the new Monkey Island for me.

A bit OT but I'd love a shadow warriors remake and sequel thing, I loved the whole swinging on the lampposts and those flip throws that you could do (even on the motorbike riding enemies) was just so cool.

I'd love a side scrolling beat em up with loads more interactivity with the environment like that. 

• 2 months later...

Full Patch notes

Cowabunga!

This year, Christmas arrives a bit earlier than usual: we are happy to announce that a free update has just been deployed for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, adding its share of new features and quality of life improvements.

Amongst several fixes, you will be able to experience the game from some brand new perspectives:

CRT & VCR filters

You can now choose between 3 filters to enjoy TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge like a good ol’ Saturday morning cartoon. So bring your PJs and your cereals, nostalgia is waiting for you.

Custom Arcade Mode (Dip Switches)

You can now customize your TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge experience as you please thanks to the Dip Switches!

Don’t want the taunts to refill your Ninja Power gauge? Done. Want your Super Attacks to now cost health instead of Ninja Power? That’s now a thing too. Want you and your friends to play with the same character? Enjoy!

And those are just a few examples of what the dip switches can offer: on top of bringing 11 tweaking possibilities, you can also mix and match them to create your own TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge experience.

You can check out the full changelog at the end of this news to learn more about all the fixes, changes and addition of this update.

Did we say all this is free? Because it is. Oh and we also added a 20% discount until January 5th on top of that, the cherry on top of pizza!

We hope you will have a lot of fun trying out this update and once again, we thank you for your support and wish you all amazing Holidays.

The Tribute Games & Dotemu teams.

🍕 Keep up with the latest news and follow us on our social media:

@TributeGames
@Dotemu
https://www.instagram.com/dotemugames
https://www.shredders-revenge.com

------------- COMPLETE CHANGELOG -------------

NEW FEATURES

Gameplay

A new Arcade mode is here: Custom Game! Just like an actual arcade machine: customize your game experience using DIP switches: free play, old-school Super Attacks, faster enemies, no more taunts, and many more! You can see the customization in the lobbies of Custom Games. Achievements’ progression and unlocking is disabled in Custom Games.

In the Character Select menu, the host can now set a maximum number of players for the lobby.

Graphics

Added come awesome filters: CRT (normal or curved) and VCR! Check them out in the Options menu.

FIXES

Gameplay

Fixed rare crash in Arcade mode when changing difficulty.

Cars can no longer deal massive damage when the player is considered Armored (for example: charging a Heavy Swing).

Fixed bosses sometimes unable to reach a player positioned at the very top or bottom of the stage.

Fixed bosses sometimes frozen after being hit by Raphael's Super Flying Attack.

Fixed Score not kept for player when switching character after a continue.

Fixed April's Super Flying Attack sometimes seemingly reviving KO'ed enemies.

Fixed reviving a KO player near the transition point (for example: escalators in the Crystal Palace Mall) that would sometimes prevent progression.

Fixed updating the timer for special statuses (for example: Infinite Ninja Power) when KO or in a cutscene.

Guest players can now rejoin the same hosted game.

Input

Fixed input not correctly assessed when selecting between Backflip or Roundoff when turning around.

Menus

Fixed rare soft lock occurring in the World Map if the user completed Stage 8 after finishing Stage 10.

IMPROVEMENTS

Gameplay

Taunt now only fills up the first Ninja Power bar.

We no longer clear fully accumulated Ninja Power bars when KO on Chill difficulty.

Doing a throw now grants the player invulnerability.

Added more feedback in the HUD when trying to do a Super Attack without enough Ninja Power.

Many small animation tweaks were made to all bosses, often to make attacks easier to read.

Fixed Dirtbag’s dig holes collision detection that was too wide and deep.

Reduced the number of enemies spawned in Zorax’s stampede and the frequency of stampedes. Zorax also has a bit less health when facing multiple players.

Rat King now does Pied Piper less frequently.

Improved the Super Shredder fight in many small ways for a smoother pacing and tweaked some damage values. His grab is now used more frequently and is more efficient, though. Bummer dude!

Improved Statue of Tyranny pacing and tweaked some damage values.

Mother Mouser has a new bite animation to differentiate the charge bite from the idle bite, to give players time to react.

Mouser Model 3 and Mother Mouser are now acting a bit faster.

Radical Mode damage multiplier is now applied to all throws, Super Dive Attack, and charged Heavy Swing.

Fixed players sometimes falling outside of the screen repeatedly when respawning, at specific locations.

Added a Refresh button to the lobby search list.

We improved the way the Arcade score is calculated: we now record each player individually, even if they leave the game.

Localization

Corrected or improved a few strings in Spanish, French and German.

Menus

The game will remember if How To Play was seen before, separately in Story and Arcade modes as they differ.

Improved the prompt to reset your story and character progress.

Pause menu in Arcade mode now shows the total play time.

Steam

Steam Input: improved support for PS5 controllers.

Game was fucking awesome already, so any excuse for another go round is fine by me. 

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

It doesn't make sense to use them on games that were not specifically visually designed with CRTs in mind like old games anyway.

Must be. I can't think of any modern game that has successfully added one. The Turtles' one sucks; the SF V one is extremely bad - but then that wasn't a 2D game to begin with. And I'm sure there are more examples too.

I thought the Turtles' VCR filter was neat, until that distortion efect shows up every few seconds.