Old anime called Ashita no Joe (Tomorrows Joe), a tragic tail of a young brawler and his experience with boxing, revolutionary for it's time and the way the story and the character progresses is still ahead of most shows today. If you can put up with a bit of wonky animation here and there - I think you'll come away realizing that it's pretty much The Wire of boxing stories.

If you're wondering where to find it, I wouldn't know where you'd gogo.

20 hours ago, Peter St John said:

The Beiderbecke Trilogy is oh-so-slight, but so fucking charming. Either this or What Ever Happened To The Likely Lads? is peak James Bolam. But this also has Barbara Flynn.

And let's not forget Barbara Flynn's fine work running rings around Peter Davison in A Very Peculiar Practice.

On 19/03/2021 at 12:17, Death's Head said:

Brimstone and Treacle? (Which i recently learned was actually a remake, the original lacking Sting) ITV's equivalent, Armchair Theatre,  was also good and gave us the pilot of The Sweeney.

The original was banned for a time. Michael Kitchen plays the best Satan in all of film.

Beiderbecke, Very Peculiar Practice & Edge of Darkness I'll +1...
And I'll add Northern Exposure, Max Headroom (the sci fi pilot / series, rather than the music show ;) ) & Soap to the mix.
ttfn
Fred

On 19/03/2021 at 12:44, Peter St John said:

Bolam is famously really tetchy and seems to hate being a public figure. He didn’t speak to Rodney Bewes from late 1970s right until Bewes’ death due to Bewes talking about fairly innocuous private conversations in an interview. One hell of a grudge. (although from all accounts, Bewes was a bit of a pain)

When I used to act, I did the Scottish play with Bolam in the lead. He was tremendously kind to me as a young actor, and was unfailing polite and cheery from rehearsals to final curtain. Some of that may be because he was being treated as the serious actor he saw himself as though, rather than ‘that bloke off the Likely Lads’. 

Mentioned it earlier but I was ill over the weekend and wanted some comfort telly so I again piled through the 1979 seven episode Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy over the weekend.  It's still an amazing piece of work, dense dialogue punctuated by long pauses, some really subtle characterisation.  And captures the grimness of the 1970s so very well, while still doing that very British thing of obsessing over the upper classes.  (The bits set in Czechoslovakia were filmed in Glasgow, and it really looks like it was a failed state behind the Iron Curtain!).

I hate to do the "They wouldn't make it like that now" but they probably wouldn't - there's no action past the opening scene and three quarters of the second episode is purely focused on a minor character. Not that it couldn't, nor people wouldn't want to, but the style is too far out of fashion.  It's slow, but never without purpose, each scene moves things on in some way and you have to listen and pick up the inferences in the dialogue which itself has a rhythm and cadence to it that sometimes makes it sound like poetry.  You've got a fine cast of actors giving it there all and still being blown off screen by Alec Guinness simply cleaning his glasses.

Weirdly, I've never seen Smiley's People.  No idea quite why.  Still.. to the <whatever> store!

That entire Roddy Martindale scene is so brilliant. Three lines which say so much about each character mentioned, plus Roddy himself but not in a Basil Exposition way.

So who's pulling the strings for Percy Puppet? How about dashing Bill Haydon? Your old rival, in every sense I'm told. Of course, he never was orthodox, was he?... All right then, it's Roy Bland, the shop-soiled white coat, the first Red darling to make the Circus. And if it's neither of them, and Control's really dead, then there's only one possible explanation: it's someone who's pretending to be in retirement. You, George! Admit it!

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Weirdly, I've never seen Smiley's People.  No idea quite why.  Still.. to the <whatever> store!

I must rewatch it myself actually. It's more goodness, but I remember being a bit flummoxed by the plot at the time. There's also an excellent adaptation of A Perfect Spy if you're having a bit of a shop.

Space 1999 is still my go to for a vision of what the future will look like.

Moonbase Alpha even seems like a feasible prospect and the Eagle is still an iconic design, I mean just look at it:

spacer.png

Series 1 was excellent, Series 2 went a bit cheesy with the move away from thoughtful episodes and a more action based storyline.

Also, loads of staff disappeared and new ones appeared and nothing was mentioned (apart from Maya who had a proper introduction).

On 22/03/2021 at 07:02, jon_cybernet said:

When I used to act, I did the Scottish play with Bolam in the lead. He was tremendously kind to me as a young actor, and was unfailing polite and cheery from rehearsals to final curtain. Some of that may be because he was being treated as the serious actor he saw himself as though, rather than ‘that bloke off the Likely Lads’. 

The man who plays Grandpa in my pocket can't see himself as that serious an actor.

I started rewatching Tales of the Unexpected a couple of years ago and it’s great, totally silly, some rad synth incidental music and daft as fuck stories (Royal Jelly). I’ll have to check if it’s still up on Now TV. 

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

I started rewatching Tales of the Unexpected a couple of years ago and it’s great, totally silly, some rad synth incidental music and daft as fuck stories (Royal Jelly). I’ll have to check if it’s still up on Now TV. 

One for the title sequence thread.

Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People were recently released on Blu-ray - and thanks to the fact they were both shot on film (highly unusual in 70s/80s TV land) the jump in visual quality is phenomenal - really really recommend buying both. They are such amazing adaptations. Wish we could see a return to that more considered, subtle, cerebral storytelling.

I just found on YouTube It’ll be alright on Christmas night. 

Not sure what year tbh. But it has that amazing clip of the Shepherd giving it his all, singing in Welsh,  as his sheepdog slides down the hillside on its arse. 

also really good old telly. 

So, do I buy Smileys People off Apple TV+ for £2.49 an episode (6 episodes) or do I buy the entire thing on Prime Video for £5.99?  It's amazing how dumb people in charge of distribution can be.

8 hours ago, Plissken said:

So, do I buy Smileys People off Apple TV+ for £2.49 an episode (6 episodes) or do I buy the entire thing on Prime Video for £5.99?  It's amazing how dumb people in charge of distribution can be.

Or they know that plenty of Apple customers will default to them for everything without shopping round. 

10 hours ago, cassidy said:

I just found on YouTube It’ll be alright on Christmas night. 

Not sure what year tbh. But it has that amazing clip of the Shepherd giving it his all, singing in Welsh,  as his sheepdog slides down the hillside on its arse. 

also really good old telly. 

Does it have that clip of the bloke looking for a time capsule in a field but can't remeber where it was buried? Eventually his spade snaps and the presenter bends double laughing. :D

On 22/03/2021 at 19:00, cubik said:

Moonbase Alpha even seems like a feasible prospect and the Eagle is still an iconic design, I mean just look at it:

spacer.png

Series 1 was excellent, Series 2 went a bit cheesy with the move away from thoughtful episodes and a more action based storyline.

Also, loads of staff disappeared and new ones appeared and nothing was mentioned (apart from Maya who had a proper introduction).

If ever there was a series ripe for a Netflix/Amazon reboot it would be this?

26 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Does it have that clip of the bloke looking for a time capsule in a field but can't remeber where it was buried? Eventually his spade snaps and the presenter bends double laughing. :D

Not so far but I haven't finished watching it. 

Also found some old BBC Schools TV on YouTube. 

Watch was one of my faves as a kid and there's some of those on there.  

On 22/03/2021 at 19:00, cubik said:

spacer.png

The change between the first and second series might have been down to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson getting divorced. They were a pretty volatile couple by all accounts. Gerry's role in the second series wasn't quite as hands-on. 

Also remember reading about how they had a modular set design in the first series that meant they could make Moonbase Alpha look huge. It's that sort of ingenuity and craftsmanship that intrigues me about the various Anderson productions, even if they weren't entirely successful. 

On 23/03/2021 at 17:56, cubik said:

Has Auf Weidersehen Pet been mentioned yet?

Series 1 is a stone cold classic and quite possibly the best thing that’s ever been on ITV

I watched the first series a couple of years ago and to be honest I don't think it has aged that well. It's a strange one for me because I was 12 when the first series was on and was just that little bit too young to appreciate it, yet by the time series 2 hit I was fully on board and have fond memories of watching that every Friday night at the time. Fast forward 35 years and some of it is cringe-inducing. There's an episode where Neville befriends one of the German workers and has dinner with his family including a grandfather who had been in the war. Maybe it just says a lot about how much has changed since the Berlin Wall came down but the Germans in the series are shown in a poor light generally. 

Second series is better and benefits from it essentially being two different series in one as the first half has them in the UK and in Spain in the second half. Bill Patterson is a fantastic character in there as the dangerously dodgy property developer. 

As for the return I honestly couldn't give a toss. Was hyped for the first series at the time, wanted to see the gang back together, but maybe because I was a kid when the originals were on meant as an adult it just didn't hit. It was amazing they managed to get people like Tim Spall in who was a much bigger name by then, and Jimmy Nail was riding high, probably at the zenith of his TV career in the 90s. Only recently found there were three series of "new" Auf Weidersehen Pet, the other two passed me by completely. 

Boys From The BlackStuff (available as DVD with the original Blackstuff drama) is excellent.   And, as mentioned, Edge Of Darkness and Beiderbecke Trilogy are both really good too.

I'd suggest Blake's 7 too, aside of the fact there are some rather skippable episodes.  But Paul Darrow is always a joy to watch.

Edit: Once you've done Blackstuff, Alan Bleasdale's GBH is also well worth watching.

On 19/03/2021 at 08:35, Goose said:

I always remember Harry's Game being very well regarded, but I've never seen it. 

It’s well worth hunting down and watching if you get the chance.