Bloodbowl - board vs videogame

Clipper

I noticed BloodBowl 2 was on offer on steam and it piqued my interest as the boardgame interests me.

I don't get to play two player right now (grrr Covid) so no point buying the boardgame but is the Videogame a good introduction to the rules and gameplay in general to see if it appeals? Are there too many differences for it to be any use.

Basically I am thinking of playing the videogame with a view to learning it so when boardgame group is going again (HA!) I might be able to join the Bloodbowl league without being an utter "noob"

Weird timing on this one.

Blood Bowl 2 on Steam is based on the ruleset of Blood Bowl 2016 edition. However, the boardgame got a new release at the end of 2020 (referred to as 'Second Season Edition'), with some pretty fundamental changes to things like Agility/Passing. There is no video game equivalent of this available yet - however, Blood Bowl 3 is due for release later this year on Steam/consoles, and that will be based on the newest rules.

So, if you intend to play BB2016, yes, the current video game is a pretty good introduction. The single-player mode is woeful, but there's still a very healthy online playerbase, with some friendly leagues out there. But if you intend on playing the newest version of Blood Bowl with your group, it may be worth holding out. 

timing just based on it appeariong on Steam super cheap

Bear in mind I know nothing about BloodBowl really - is Bloodbowl 2 a good intro regardless despite it being 2016 ruleset? As in just learning the ropes or are 2020 rules so very different?

ta

I actually played it way back in the late 80s but have forgotten almost everything about it other than it was American football fantasy game with violence which appealed :D

The local group have a league (when we can meet... HA!) but I was always abit nervy about even trying to be a noob in that hence me wondering if the steam version was the same i.e. turnbased and followed fules and could tutor me a bit.

Does it still use dice :D

54 minutes ago, Clipper said:

timing just based on it appeariong on Steam super cheap

Bear in mind I know nothing about BloodBowl really - is Bloodbowl 2 a good intro regardless despite it being 2016 ruleset? As in just learning the ropes or are 2020 rules so very different?

ta

Yeah, it'd work, especially cheap on Steam. The nice thing is that combat/tackling is nearly identical in both versions, so that wouldn't be a problem. It's just how they treat things like passing the ball, which is now its own stat rather than being based on Agility as before. But the fundementals are very much the same, passing dice checks to succeed (or not, as is more often the case...)

3 hours ago, lewismistreated said:

the boardgame got a new release at the end of 2020 (referred to as 'Second Season Edition'), with some pretty fundamental changes to things like Agility/Passing.

That is the only real rule change.  Everything else was a tidying of the language and terminology.