Jump to content
IGNORED

Retro Gamer 218


Ninja Doctor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Another month and another issue of RG drops through the door. 
 

A quick flick through and all the usual bits are there. They’ve even included a handy tick list of 90s hardware that I certainly don’t need to be buying. Nope not at all. Definitely. Ok maybe one or two bits. 
 

I’m off to eBay...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Another month and another issue of RG drops through the door. 
 

A quick flick through and all the usual bits are there. They’ve even included a handy tick list of 90s hardware that I certainly don’t need to be buying. Nope not at all. Definitely. Ok maybe one or two bits. 
 

I’m off to eBay...

If you buy them all you win a prize*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*You don't win a prize

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bplus said:

Did anyone else get an unexpected retro gamer annual and a 8bit pad? I didn't order it but it arrived last week. I'm a subscriber though, but there's no way I'd need an annual.


I’d be interested in the annual if you feel like letting it go :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The feature on Timesplitters is a really good read. Interesting that the former Free Radical devs are quite open about being difficult to work with - they sound like an absolute nightmare from a publisher perspective, what with them going to Sony behind Widow’ back and complaining that the game wasn’t doing Goldeneye numbers. 
 

I remember Linkster from here saying he worked at Codemasters when FR were doing Second Sight, and it seems Codemasters found them hard work as well:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunate mistake with one of the interviews where they've used a picture of the wrong person.

 

Can see how it happened though, the picture is from the pinned tweet of the interviewee and totally looks like their (cartoon) profile pic.

 

But it's not him.

 

image.thumb.png.dfb86830304b9dd30dbb82c93f09d714.pngimage.thumb.png.323d2597d526c3cffe287f396a88a540.png

 

The picture is someone called MrBeast who it's heavily implied I'm supposed to know.

 

EDIT : And who apparently I have blocked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dudley said:

Unfortunate mistake with one of the interviews where they've used a picture of the wrong person.

 

Can see how it happened though, the picture is from the pinned tweet of the interviewee and totally looks like their (cartoon) profile pic.

 

But it's not him.

 

image.thumb.png.dfb86830304b9dd30dbb82c93f09d714.pngimage.thumb.png.323d2597d526c3cffe287f396a88a540.png

 

The picture is someone called MrBeast who it's heavily implied I'm supposed to know.

 

EDIT : And who apparently I have blocked.

It get sent by the interviewee. That Mr Beast has got 55 million followers apparently. I've never heard of him. My Youtube algorithm is basically full of MTG Arena videos and laserdisc collections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just finished reading this issue, really good to soak in all that 90s nostalgia. Also enjoyed the BMX simulator feature.

 

Here's a list of the features this month:-

 

Back To The 90s

Making of BMX Simulator

Evolution of Pitfall

Desert Island Disks with @strider

Making of Starlord

Ultimate Guide Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday

Making of Clock Tower

Mega Drive RPG collecting special

Ultimate Guide Fighters Megamix

Future Classic 428: Shibuya Scramble

History of Timesplitters

Retro Inspired Ghosts N Goblins Resurrection

 

Plus all the usuals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they did a 'back to the noughties' article - and my god, I hope nobody ever does - what would the cover look like? The cover of the current issue does a really good job of capturing the look and feel of nineties typefaces, layout and production design, but how would you do the same thing for the 2000s? Maybe we don't have enough distance yet, but it feels like we can't quite encapsulate the decade in the same way you can the eighties or nineties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's what I mean, I guess - I would have thought we'd be at a point now where you can go "oh man, that looks really noughties", but I'm not sure we're there yet. The only time I've ever really thought that was watching an old episode of Grand Designs where someone's house ended up looking like the set of Big Brother, with loads of oversized furniture and coloured lighting.

 

I'm sure I had an idea of what the nineties looked like by 2010, so it feels a bit weird that I couldn't caricature what the noughties look like in 2021. Maybe it was just a really boring decade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, K said:

If they did a 'back to the noughties' article - and my god, I hope nobody ever does - what would the cover look like? The cover of the current issue does a really good job of capturing the look and feel of nineties typefaces, layout and production design, but how would you do the same thing for the 2000s? Maybe we don't have enough distance yet, but it feels like we can't quite encapsulate the decade in the same way you can the eighties or nineties.

 

Gotta admit, this is making me feel nostalgic. 

 

Spoiler

89p23out4td21.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.