IGNORED

Retro Gamer 218

Ninja Doctor

17 hours ago, K said:

If they did a 'back to the noughties' article - and my god, I hope nobody ever does - what would the cover look like? The cover of the current issue does a really good job of capturing the look and feel of nineties typefaces, layout and production design, but how would you do the same thing for the 2000s? Maybe we don't have enough distance yet, but it feels like we can't quite encapsulate the decade in the same way you can the eighties or nineties.

It’d have a picture of an attractive woman on the front, possibly in cosplay, possibly not, with the headline articles about how to game whilst at the club and 5 reasons why you’ll forever be a virgin if you don’t buy a ps2. Plus an article from random flavour of the month band. There will be no images of games.

22 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

It’d have a picture of an attractive woman on the front, possibly in cosplay, possibly not, with the headline articles about how to game whilst at the club and 5 reasons why you’ll forever be a virgin if you don’t buy a ps2. Plus an article from random flavour of the month band. There will be no images of games.

Strong Official Dreamcast Mag vibes right here.

On 17/03/2021 at 18:47, K said:

The feature on Timesplitters is a really good read. Interesting that the former Free Radical devs are quite open about being difficult to work with - they sound like an absolute nightmare from a publisher perspective, what with them going to Sony behind Widow’ back and complaining that the game wasn’t doing Goldeneye numbers. 

I remember Linkster from here saying he worked at Codemasters when FR were doing Second Sight, and it seems Codemasters found them hard work as well:

See, Free Radical were radical when they set out to make Goldeneye. New to the industry, trying to do things in their own way.

Then they just revived the formula for Perfect Dark and tweaked it to become Timesplitters, and that’s when the hubris kicked in. It’s the only way to explain the mess that is Haze...

What would a Noughties feature look like? To me everything post millennium feels the same. Like, I have trouble trying to delineate distinct eras from the past 21 years. Fashion, music, cars, everything seems to blend together into an indistinct miasma of banal mediocrity.

In the comments this Doom WAD is described as being the most 90s thing imaginable. What would one think of that would be described as the most 00s thing? What reeks of that post millennium smell? Nothing good I am certain.