Life is Strange True Colors - September 10th

ryodi

15 minutes ago, Moz said:

Choppy 30fps on PS5. Yikes. That’s going straight back in favour of the PC version. Not remotely acceptable even for a game like this. 

Yeah it's a bit annoying but not ruining the experience for me. Hopefully a patch sorts it

I'm simply not doing it, I made that decision at the start of this gen. I didn't consider for a moment that Life Is Strange would be capped to 30fps though, I normally check before purchase. Slightly gobsmacked, but my fault. Downloading the PC version now. From what I can gather online it's a bit of a mess too, but I'll be happy with 60+ at any settings really, I'd rather it looked like crap and didn't give me a banging headache. I'll stream it via moonlight to my Apple TV for the Comfy Couch ExperienceTM.

I can't find any info on the Series X version but the cheapest I can find it is a tenner more than the PC version.

The PC version is currently running between 2 and 3 frames a second in DX12 or DX11 mode no matter what combination of settings I choose.

I wish I was joking.

Ok I rebooted and now it's running at 100+ fps on highest settings at 1440p, that'll do.

This thing is a bit of a disaster from a technical perspective. Hopefully they’ll fix with some quick patches. Amazing that so many review outlets simply didn’t mention the performance problems.

It's actually alright once it gets going. There are certain moments where the framerate absolutely tanks (in my case going from about 100 to 15-20). I think it might be when it writes important choices to the back end, it seems to line up. There's never anything interesting happening on screen when it happens. Once I gave up trying to stream it and playing it for a bit natively it was a bit better too. No ultrawide monitor support but there's a fix for 2 which I assume someone will just mod to support 3 in the next day or so.

I've put about an hour in now, it's very welcoming so far, a real millennial fantasy of turning up somewhere beautiful and being handed a job and a house within two minutes! A couple of scenes were a little cringey but that's not unusual for Life Is Strange, you either embrace it or it rubs you the wrong way. Good performances all round so far too - main girl is very good and manages to deliver the internal monologue George Stobart style lines without sounding insincere. Definitely read the various bits of content on the phone and note the dates alongside them, it'll fill in some early backstory for you.

Regarding the videos in the first post, I know it's not specific to this game, but when did it start becoming acceptable to say fucking shit like 'Announce Trailer'. It makes me disproportionately angry. I can't be alone. It's fucking Announcement Trailer. How hard is that? Why isn't anybody lobbying governments about this? First they came for the 'ly's of our adverbs and we did nothing. Now they're coming for our 'ment's. Are we just going to stand by again?

On 11/09/2021 at 00:18, Moz said:

Definitely read the various bits of content on the phone and note the dates alongside them, it'll fill in some early backstory for you.

This has been my main issue with this so far, actually - I'm on chapter 3 and the time jump between chapters has been a bit jarring each time. Even a title card saying "one week later..." would have helped. It's essential to go into the phone and work out what's happened since the end of the last chapter.

I was a bit disappointed between chapters 2 and 3 in particular because the text messages on the phone make it sound like the characters have had loads of fun together yet we don't get to experience that! I much prefer the slice-of-life stuff in this with these guys all hanging out together, to the somewhat overcooked mystery that makes up the actual plot.

It feels like it's been designed for an episodic release where the player would have had a gap between episodes, but of course it's all been released in one go and it's so good we're all just ploughing straight through it.

10 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Is this quite a short game? Doesn't feel like i've played it very long but i've just finished chapter 3.

Certainly seems that way. I'm on the final chapter now having done chapters 3 and 4 in one sitting last night. The individual chapters are shorter than both the previous games and there's very little variety in locations.

I like almost everything about this game but it's really hard to justify that £50 price tag. In terms of scope, this feels more in line with something like Tell Me Why than it does with Life is Strange 2 - and both those games were significantly cheaper than this is.

Finished this last night.

I thought it was an absolutely superb entry in one of my favourite series. Amazing characters, a great setting, and it's also a big step up technically which helps to bring everything to life. Both of the game's big twists completely got me (having gone into it knowing literally nothing about it) and it stuck the landing with ease. Alex Chen has become my favourite protagonist in the series and Haven Springs probably my favourite setting.

However. I know games should be judged on their own merit (and taken purely on its own merit, I loved this) but this really, really doesn't feel like a £50 videogame. It's both shorter and smaller in scope than the previous two games in the series (much of the game takes place on a single street), yet somehow much more expensive. It feels like a cynical attempt to extract as much money as possible from fans of the series before the inevitable sale / appearance on Game Pass. In my case I'd played all the previous games either on PS+ or Game Pass, so I guess I was a bit overdue in terms of supporting the developers and I don't mind too much, but it's a shame when you finish a game and your first reaction isn't "that was great!" but instead "is that all there is?"

I know there's a DLC chapter on the way (had to pay extra for it, though, of course) but it really feels like the game could have done with fleshing out that gap between chapters 2 and 3. One additional chapter there showing the growing relationship between Alex, Steph and Ryan would have gone a long way towards making the game feel more complete. I wonder if anything was cut here during development?

Finished it myself last night and yeah, echo @Garwoofoo - the story, characters and setting are fantastic, but it's noticeably 'thin' - I kind of wonder if the world situation over the past 18 months kind led to planned content having to be cut or something. It even felt shorter than Before The Storm, which was a DLC side-story and priced accordingly. It certainly didn't feel like a £50 game when set against the previous entries and their price points.

Wonder if they'll flesh it out in the future with additional stuff alongside the Steph DLC. I hope so, anyway, as I feel the characters and setting really deserved more time. 

23 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

I kind of wonder if the world situation over the past 18 months kind led to planned content having to be cut or something.

I went back and mopped up some achievements and once you start looking for them, there are some fairly obvious cuts there.

Spoiler

The gap between chapters 2 and 3 is still the big one - you suddenly jump several weeks and you have an established friendship with Steph and Ryan - it's really jarring. Especially as the whole of the rest of the game effectively then takes place on one day. And there's so much detail in the text messages at this point specifically that it's hard not to think that some of what's described there was originally intended to be in the game.

Riley feels like she might have been intended as a possible romantic interest at one point, maybe? Her character model at least is much more detailed than most.

Mac basically disappears completely once his part in the plot is concluded.

There's a yard near the bridge that you need to unlock with a toy grabbing handle - when you get in there, there's nothing there apart from an old wheel that you can't interact with. It's never mentioned. I think it shows up in the bar randomly in a later chapter.

So few of the buildings on the main street are actually used. There's a whole sub-plot with a guy planning to open a diner that kind of goes nowhere. Maybe that was always meant to be background flavour, but it gets a fair amount of dialogue.

It's a shame because actually it's the relationships between the characters that really make this game special - and it feels that at some point they had to pivot to just getting the plot done. Covid-related I expect.