Why is Gamepass considered so much better than PSNow?

12 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Don’t get me wrong I think Gamepass is a much better offering than PSNow, but apart from Outriders it’s a bit unfair to say it’s only old third party stuff on PSNow then pointing to games that are years old themselves. Yes technically those games are “day one”, but only by virtue of the fact it took years for those games to come to Xbox in the first place.

I do think Outriders is the first of many more though. 

I think it’s entirely valid in a direct comparison of two subscription services. Beyond those mentioned, there have been plenty of things that have been on or around launch go to Game Pass, and Genesis Noir is another good looking game arriving this month. It’s not just day one I stuff either; we’ve had Dirt 5, Football Manager, Star Wars Squadrons arrive a few months post-launch. There is clearly an impetus on Microsoft’s part for a well-rounded catalogue. 

With regards to the third party stuff that originated on other consoles, DQXI S launched on PS4 on the same day as Xbox, but was nowhere to be seen as a part of its subscription service. I don’t think the fact that an older version of the game was on PS4 or that the S version was originally a Switch exclusive means much in either case, and similar could be said for Octopath Traveler, which doesn’t seem even to have been released for PS4 yet.

If Sony just rolled PSNow into PS Plus then the service would be comparable.

The problem is you don’t get better performing old games running natively (PS3 ps2 ps1)

I played the whole of God Of War 3 on psnow via streaming and had a great experience but other games just don’t work.

one thing I learn recently is that you have to have Xbox live to play free to play games but on PlayStation you don’t.

Just now, Retroid said:

As a side note Origin for £20 yearly seems like a silly bargain?

Yeah I did that on PC last month. I was going to bite the bullet and finally buy Jedi: Fallen Order because I fancied replaying it, then spotted the sub for £19.99 on Steam. Nnniiiiiiccee. Replayed Mirror's Edge too, which looks amazing in 4k other than the odd texture.

As others have said primarily the problem is marketing.

Yes there are differences in each service in terms of support, game updates, number or new titles etc, but PS Now isn’t even in the same conversation. People don’t even compare the two.

We often see it on here (and in this thread) that many apparently knowledgable gamers who consider it one of their primary hobbies have no idea what PS Now even is these days.

It constantly amazes me that people don’t know from even skim reading here or elsewhere. But I think people skip over mentions of it as ‘I don’t like streaming and never ever would, it will always be a laggy mess’. Many have changed their tune a bit over the years dabbling with PS Now and Stadia but the initial vehement ‘not for me’ reaction has stuck for loads and the name is now soiled.

Sony need to properly relaunch it if they want it to succeed. But I’m not sure they want it to, at least not yet. It exists so they can transition into using it when they need to rather than their primary strategy.

8 minutes ago, robdood said:

What does 'permanently' mean in this context? 

I could really have put that better, because “Microsoft published” could mean something different to “Microsoft first party”, but a reasonably comparison would be Netflix-funded programming staying part of the service indefinitely.

Admittedly, even with physical media, permanence hasn’t truly existed since patches became part and parcel of the console experience…

11 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

I think it’s entirely valid in a direct comparison of two subscription services. Beyond those mentioned, there have been plenty of things that have been on or around launch go to Game Pass, and Genesis Noir is another good looking game arriving this month. It’s not just day one I stuff either; we’ve had Dirt 5, Football Manager, Star Wars Squadrons arrive a few months post-launch. There is clearly an impetus on Microsoft’s part for a well-rounded catalogue. 

With regards to the third party stuff that originated on other consoles, DQXI S launched on PS4 on the same day as Xbox, but was nowhere to be seen as a part of its subscription service. I don’t think the fact that an older version of the game was on PS4 or that the S version was originally a Switch exclusive means much in either case, and similar could be said for Octopath Traveler, which doesn’t seem even to have been released for PS4 yet.

Yeah agreed, MS put way more effort in to getting newer third party stuff on gamepass. I just think there’s better examples (like the ones you mention) than the old third party games you initially used.

something that seems to have gone amiss, is that PSNow requires physical hardware blades in servers, much like MS's Cloud option, and sony simply dont have many.

So they dont market it, as they cant support it.

Really, you would expect to see PSplus and PSnow rolled into a sort of PS++ thing (idealy!) for roughly the same cost as GPU...but...they also dont have the BC to properly support it either.

9 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah agreed, MS put way more effort in to getting newer third party stuff on gamepass. I just think there’s better examples (like the ones you mention) than the old third party games you initially used.

DQXI isn’t old on Xbox, it’s the first time the game had appeared in any form, and in fact the first DQ game ever to appear on Xbox. I thought it showed great commitment to supporting that kind of game and was certainly another reason for me to subscribe.

1 hour ago, Rain Birds said:

I could really have put that better, because “Microsoft published” could mean something different to “Microsoft first party”, but a reasonably comparison would be Netflix-funded programming staying part of the service indefinitely.

Admittedly, even with physical media, permanence hasn’t truly existed since patches became part and parcel of the console experience…

Worth pointing out this is not entirely true because licencing.

Forza only has the most recent game in each series on there for instance and it's likely FM7 will disappear in 6 months.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Worth pointing out this is not entirely true because licencing.

Forza only has the most recent game in each series on there for instance and it's likely FM7 will disappear in 6 months.

Yep. I did say “potential licensing agreements notwithstanding” on the post robdood quoted, and Forza is the most prominent example of that.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Don’t get me wrong I think Gamepass is a much better offering than PSNow, but apart from Outriders it’s a bit unfair to say it’s only old third party stuff on PSNow then pointing to games that are years old themselves. Yes technically those games are “day one”, but only by virtue of the fact it took years for those games to come to Xbox in the first place.

I do think Outriders is the first of many more though. 

Streets of Rage 4 and Spiritfarer both launched on Game Pass. The Medium is Xbox console exclusive and not developed or published by MGS, but also released on Game Pass.

I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting as well. 

So one of them is half heartedly supported, and the other is full throttle supported on both PC and Xbox, and most of us have bought in at a relatively low price.

To put it in perspective, here are the additions to each service in 2021 so far:

Gamepass:

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

NHL 21

Outriders

Narita Boy

Genesis Noir

Octopath Traveler

Empire of Sin

Star Wars: Squadrons

Dishonored: Definitive Edition

DOOM (Classic)

DOOM 3

DOOM 64

DOOM II: Hell on Earth

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

The Evil Within

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Football Manager 2021

NBA 2K21

Madden NFL 21

Dirt 5

Elite: Dangerous

Killer Queen Black

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire – Ultimate Edition

Wreckfest

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Jurassic World Evolution

Ghost of a Tale

Project Winter

The Falconeer

The Medium

Yakuza 3: Remastered

Yakuza 4: Remastered

Yakuza 5: Remastered

Cyber Shadow

Desperados III

Donut County

Torchlight III

YIIK: A Postmodern RPG

eFootball PES 2021

Injustice 2

The Little Acre

PSNOW:

The Crew 2

Surviving Mars

Frostpunk

Little Nightmares

Hotline Miami 2

Detroit: Become Human

Darksiders Genesis

Call of Duty Black Ops 3

WWE 2K Battlegrounds

Infamous Second Son

Superhot

Ace Combat 7 

World War Z

And of those, superhot mind control delete is playable on gamepass with xbox series enhancements...

(actually 6/13 of those new additions to ps now were already on game pass, sometimes in better editions)

4 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Never used PS Now, which I presume is the direct competitor. But if you’ve had PS+ a while the amount of games you have, for keeps, is insane. My PS+ collection piddles all over Gamepass from a great height.

Not for keeps, only while you keep paying, isn’t it?

2 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

Doesn't this mean “we will always put exclusives on Game Pass”, not “games will be on Game Pass forever”?

Signed up for PS Now this weekend as a mate recently did and had been enthusiastic about it. Service seems fine in terms of content. Certainly enough things on there I either haven’t played and would like to try, or a few old games I no longer own outright and would like to replay.

Will probably do the three month pass once the trial is up. Don’t want to commit to a year at the minute, but three months feels long enough to get good value out of the £23 it will cost to join. Interested to see if Plus or Now do evolve any time soon, or even just merge. Combining them under one umbrella feels an obvious move, although maybe no need if there’s people like me willing to pay for both. Will reevaluate once I’ve used the service a bit more.

Microsoft’s marketing of Game Pass has been brilliant though, it’s certainly the feature that most makes me consider purchasing an Xbox in the future.

4 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Never used PS Now, which I presume is the direct competitor. But if you’ve had PS+ a while the amount of games you have, for keeps, is insane. My PS+ collection piddles all over Gamepass from a great height.

I mean, if you’ve been paying continually and rigorously downloading all the PS+ games for a decade, sure. Though you’ll either have played them by now or discarded them as not being worth playing.

if you’re not a decade invested, then they’re not comparable. And they’re arguably not comparable even if you are...

The problem with lists of games added is there's a whole load of chaff on both services, and it ignores what's already on there. Evil Within 1 has been added to GP, for example, but Evil Within 1 & 2 are both on PSNow.

PS Now reckon they've got 700 titles, which compares to the front page of the Game Pass listings, which suggests it's got 600 games.

After that, I think everything is in the unambiguous favour of Game Pass.

1. Titles available to play locally, and not just via streaming, for previous generations.

2. Many of the BC titles are enhanced for current gen.

3. A service that isn't just about back catalogue, but also day and date launches.

4. Similarly priced.

5. Wider variety of platforms you can play on (notably mobile.)

6. More obviously a part of the ecosystem that they care about.

31 minutes ago, therearerules said:

The problem with lists of games added is there's a whole load of chaff on both services, and it ignores what's already on there. Evil Within 1 has been added to GP, for example, but Evil Within 1 & 2 are both on PSNow.

It’s just an example of one service being for now games + back catalogue, while the other is purely for older stuff. That’s why additions and forthcoming games are relevant as part of a comparison.

Same with the almost complete lack of recent Sony stuff showing that it’s not a service they consider important. I think they added a couple of their lesser lights from 2019 in MediEvil and Days Gone recently, before withdrawing them after a couple of months.

If/when microsoft actually start releasing quality first party games in significant enough quantities perhaps I'll change my mind, but for now I don't quite get the appeal of either unless you are incredibly time rich and happy to play whatever's there, as opposed to some specific games you actually want to play, or are just lucky enough to have constant overlap of the two. 

Posting lists of non-new release 3rd party and indie games makes little sense to me. Things you can pick up for peanuts in the 50 sales per year and actually own.

Like I said, there are definitely people for whom gamepass is great value, but I think it's far from a majority of adult gamers. If you have mountains of free time and sit around ploughing through single player games (but only the ones on the subscription service, if you spend 100 hours on Cyberpunk/Breath of the Wild 2, you're still paying the subscription for a month or two of an unused service) then it probably makes a lot of financial sense. 

The people I know with gamepass seem more inclined to marvel at how many games there are on the service and how great value it is, but not actually play enough of them to make it actual significant value for money for them as a subscription service. This is assuming the actual price of gamepass, not the temporary heavy discount. 

There's a psychological aspect to these subscription services too. They play on the idea of how much you could potentially play/watch/listen to, as opposed to reality of how you'll fit that into your life. 

I had psplus for nearly 6 years despite not being an online gamer at all. I used to marvel at the "free" monthly games and it was only after I eventually cancelled the subscription that I realised I'd paid hundreds of pounds, completed about 5 old games from it that I could have bought in sales for a few quid each and owned nothing once I stopped paying the subscription. 

33 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

4. Similarly priced.

Not really. PS Now is practically half the RRP for a year, £49.99 versus £95.88, and that's just regular Game Pass; Ultimate would be £131.99.

Obviously you don't currently need to pay those amounts – hell, I only paid £25 for a year of Now – but that is what they're actually priced at.

From my perspective it means I don't have to ever buy another xbox console, nor buy another first party game. I can play them all on my PC with the three years of game pass I bought for £90. I've also been able to play a load of games that I took a passing interest in, but I'd never actually pay to play. It's basically netflix for games.