Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

This feels inevitable since they redesigned the online webstore to only include PS5 compatible software. I'd be surprised if they don't allow you to redownload but this is also inevitable to change at some point.

As ever - welcome to your all digital future where you don't own anything!

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

As someone who still uses their Vita on a semi-regular basis, this is a real pain, and feels far too soon, especially as they were still giving away PS+ games for the Vita only a year or two ago.

Memory cards for the Vita are low-capacity and expensive, so it's not like I can buy a massive SD card and back up my whole library in one go. I'm going to have to spend ages downloading games to the Vita and laboriously backing them up to PC - assuming Sony's Content Manager software still works - or lose access to a whole load of stuff I've actually paid money for. 

It's aggressive tactics like this that really put me off the Sony ecosystem. Yes, I get there's a new console out, but honestly, how much does it cost to keep old stuff downloadable? Some of these games are only a few years old. Meanwhile Microsoft are over here happily selling and supporting launch Xbox titles from 2001, I wonder who I'm likely to stick with in future.

I'm going to do this anyway just in case, I use QCMA to do the backups on my mac and it works really well. Going to go through the download list tonight and try and make a list of everything. It's a pain in the arse. Maybe I'll end up modding it in the future but done that before and since I own all the games I want its a bit pointless

Looking at my purchase histories I only have a few digital titles that I'd really miss; Gravity Rush, VLRSuperbeat Xonic... Maybe things like Persona 3 Portable as well... but I have that on UMD, and PSP is easy to emulate. Worst-case scenario: I'll look for physical copies of things online.

EDIT: I just remembered TxK, and EDF. Shit.

@Qazimod Going physical is obviously the best option if possible, but some of these games (particularly anything that's an RPG or Atlus) is getting very expensive already. Digital option is great for these - for example I am definitely going to buy digital devil saga 1&2 as I cannot see them getting a new version soon.

I also recommend folks think about picking up MGS VR Missions on PS3 digitally. The game doesn't work physically because it requires the original game and disc swapping doesn't work on PS3.

A reminder that Suikoden I to IV received digital releases - looking at CEX physical copies of these would set you back £338. Suikoden III never saw a physical release in Europe.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

You can’t swap disks on PS3? How do people play multi-disk games like FF7 etc?

It's a special case with VR missions as you have to insert VR > MGS1 > VR in order to load the appropriate information into the RAM.

Isn't the case on the NTSC version as that is standalone.

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

I thought this had aleady happened for PSP? They shuttered the store you access from the console years ago and I thougnt they delisted PSP stuff on the website recently.

Unless I've missed something...

I actually did buy some digital PSP stuff last year!

Did you?

The PSN support for the PSP has been dead since 2017 I think.

I wonder if it's just the store they are turning off or are cloud saves, trophies and online going as well. 

You can still buy PSP and Vita games through the PS3 store at the moment and transfer them to the system from there, I sorted out my PSP a few months ago. 

19 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Did you?

The PSN support for the PSP has been dead since 2017 I think.

Until they delisted the PSP titles on the PlayStation store you could still buy them off the website and download them on your PSP. You just couldn't buy them on the console itself.

I wonder if there would be grounds to make a suggestion that sounds rather stupid but here goes.  The powers that be should amend copyright law to cover all-digital media. So, if you have a format, be it Kindle, be it PSP Go, basically  any format that is reliant upon a digital store and cannot play games without it. Once that store is closed and there's no way to purchase content the digital store owners must relinquish all copyright and allow people to unlock their machines and play old stuff freely.  

It would be a great incentive to stop the stores closing prematurely, but also would mean that a period of history wouldn't just disappear without a trace.

All these years and I had no idea that Content Manager let you actually back up and restore Vita applications on to your PC, not just whole system images. So you could load and offload games without relying on your internet connection, which in my case was really really shit when I was most in to the Vita. :lol: Doing the soft mod has me actually copying an application across and it's the first time I realised it!

I have tons and tons of PS+ PS3 and Vita games downloaded to my 1TB PS3 Slim, which for some reason never ran out of storage for everything.

I will be adding the wellbeing of the Slim to my nightly thoughts & prayers if they’ll not be downloadable any more.

Seriously what the fuck is up with this guy. I really need to stop following him on Twitter. He is giving me an ulcer one aggravating entitled condescending tweet at a time. 

C07AC7E1-6DD6-4370-A1F4-629C055A3C0F.png

51 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Until they delisted the PSP titles on the PlayStation store you could still buy them off the website and download them on your PSP. You just couldn't buy them on the console itself.

Were you still able to do that? I kept getting error messages whenever I tried to transfer a PSP game from my PS3 to my PSP.

24 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Were you still able to do that? I kept getting error messages whenever I tried to transfer a PSP game from my PS3 to my PSP.

The store dashboard on the PSP still let me download purchases over WiFi (takes forever though).

I just checked now and it looks like it still works but haven't tested it. 

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Will the hundreds of PS3 games people have on PS+ still be available??

YOURS FOR LIFE

lol.

life of the digital service, that is.

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I also recommend folks think about picking up MGS VR Missions on PS3 digitally. The game doesn't work physically because it requires the original game and disc swapping doesn't work on PS3.

We (not me) should put together a list of games like this, that we should grab before it's too late.

This stuff really pisses me off, though. I will literally turn to piracy after July then.

I guess we need to wait for an official announcement from Sony but the PS3 and PSP/Vita were the first big consoles / handhelds to really push download games so these getting shut, in whatever form is a stark reminder that 'owning' digital games effectively means nothing in the long run. They'll always remain worthless money wise and going into it assuming that you will lose them all at some point is probably the way to go. 

I have tons of downloaded games on Vita which I now need to decide what to do with and shuffling them around hard drives on the off chance that I might play them at one point doesn't seem like a very satisfactory answer. I might try and buy some Vita classics I guess but what will happen for games that 'need an update' when you buy them I wonder? Not sure how many updates games got on Vita actually. 

17 minutes ago, matt0 said:

The store dashboard on the PSP still let me download purchases over WiFi (takes forever though).

I just checked now and it looks like it still works but haven't tested it. 

Ah, I can't access the store anymore. It says my password and/or log-in ID is incorrect, even though they're right. Must be an error on my machine then.

Turns out you a actually can still Google your way to the PSP section of the PlayStation store, you just can't search for individual games or navigate there from the homepage.

Obviously this means I'm now going to spend money on pointless guff.

10 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I guess we need to wait for an official announcement from Sony but the PS3 and PSP/Vita were the first big consoles / handhelds to really push download games so these getting shut, in whatever form is a stark reminder that 'owning' digital games effectively means nothing in the long run. They'll always remain worthless money wise and going into it assuming that you will lose them all at some point is probably the way to go. 

But just as we saw with Disney Plus, there is a huge incentive to have most of that content back catalog available in a subscription service. There was no real financial incentive for them to launch Disney Plus, especially in the short-term, but here we are, and it is booming and rewriting the rules of the game. 

But, there are two major outliers with regard to "losing stuff":

• Steam doesn't suffer from this loss of content since they do respect their customers, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 
  • Piracy comes to the rescue in most of these cases. For this reason alone I have no issues with it. You can't trust big business, like ever. 
11 hours ago, Spoonman said:

YOURS FOR LIFE

lol.

life of the digital service, that is.

We (not me) should put together a list of games like this, that we should grab before it's too late.

This stuff really pisses me off, though. I will literally turn to piracy after July then.

Pretty much the entirety of the PS+ games on PS3 and Vita fit on a 1tb drive.

If they turn off the license access to what you’ve downloaded though...

DE9C616E-C758-4354-AE27-43DFB76F4B1C.gif

I’m considering upgrading from a 80gb fat to a 500gb slim just so I can raid the store one last time but it depends entirely on how they handle accessing back catalogues as right now it’s hard to do that without going in the store and searching for stuff.

Sony shutting it all down puts Microsoft’s digital services in a new light. Thanks to the commitment to backwards compatibility I can see the 360 store remaining up for a much longer time.

It’s all giving a similar dread to when Nintendo closed the Wii shopping channel. I missed the boat on that one sadly.

If Sony kill access to redownload or even play what you have then that’ll be a disaster. It’d hard push me into just emulating the PS1 and PS2 games instead of buying the classics ports.

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

But just as we saw with Disney Plus, there is a huge incentive to have most of that content back catalog available in a subscription service. There was no real financial incentive for them to launch Disney Plus, especially in the short-term, but here we are, and it is booming and rewriting the rules of the game. 

All of the content on Disney Plus was already available elsewhere (with the exception of its exclusives of course). Asking £80 per year to get it directly from the House of Mouse, and in the long term removing it from everywhere else, wasn’t some altruistic move by Disney!

I've seen so many people lazily framing this as Sony hating preservation. It's more the case that they and everybody else was building stupid proprietary storefronts fifteen years ago that can't be maintained forever.

If it becomes practical to port/emulate PS3/Vita/PSP stuff and publishers think there's a market for it I can see games from that era becoming available again. Look at how much back catalogue stuff turns up on Steam and Switch.

It would be nice if people didn't have to rebuy stuff for once though. My Sony account has a record of everything I've bought from them back to Star Wars Galaxies circa 1999. On iOS publishers have (in some cases) managed to maintain the product ID for old games when remaking/remastering them (e.g. GameClub releases and the various incarnations of Sonic and Doom), so you don't even need to rebuy them, it shouldn't be beyond Sony's ability to do this.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.