Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

I wonder if there would be grounds to make a suggestion that sounds rather stupid but here goes.  The powers that be should amend copyright law to cover all-digital media. So, if you have a format, be it Kindle, be it PSP Go, basically  any format that is reliant upon a digital store and cannot play games without it. Once that store is closed and there's no way to purchase content the digital store owners must relinquish all copyright and allow people to unlock their machines and play old stuff freely.  

It would be a great incentive to stop the stores closing prematurely, but also would mean that a period of history wouldn't just disappear without a trace.

This would massively disincentivise anyone releasing anything digitally. I think the idea that a shop closing down meaning everything that was ever released on it gets lost to history is a bit overplayed in the modern era. Harder to buy != literally irretrievably lost, except for server-based games I suppose.

They had pretty much full backwards compatibility on the original PS3, and I seem to recall hearing at the time that Sony found that almost nobody used that functionality - or at least, not enough to justify the cost of sticking most / half of a PS2 in there (depending on which model of PS3 it was). So I guess they might be relying on their data from that period. Obviously, things are a lot different now - if you buy your games digitally, it feels weird if none of them are available on your new console.

12 hours ago, matt0 said:

Turns out you a actually can still Google your way to the PSP section of the PlayStation store, you just can't search for individual games or navigate there from the homepage.

Obviously this means I'm now going to spend money on pointless guff.

I'm pretty sure you can still access it via the Vita (although that maybe doesn't have everything?)

4 minutes ago, K said:

They had pretty much full backwards compatibility on the original PS3, and I seem to recall hearing at the time that Sony found that almost nobody used that functionality - or at least, not enough to justify the cost of sticking most / half of a PS2 in there (depending on which model of PS3 it was). So I guess they might be relying on their data from that period. Obviously, things are a lot different now - if you buy your games digitally, it feels weird if none of them are available on your new console.

What's also different, I think, is how playable and attractive those last-gen games are. I can imagine going from PS2 to PS3, with the significant step up in visual quality that entailed, I wouldn't want to spend much time playing PS1 and PS2. That's a lot less true when you think about PS3 and onwards. A lot of those PS3 games still look decent enough. (Especially, my repeat bugbear, the smaller digital titles like Shatter or whatever.)

10 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I'm pretty sure you can still access it via the Vita (although that maybe doesn't have everything?)

There are some PSP titles still available on the Vita, but there are loads missing. Not sure why or with what logic they've been deleted or retained, but it's a bit tragic even so. The PSP had an absolutely amazing library of games and I can't believe Sony don't have any interest in preserving that.

13 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Ah, I can't access the store anymore. It says my password and/or log-in ID is incorrect, even though they're right. Must be an error on my machine then.

You need to turn off 2FA for it to work.

I found that the first device setup password didn’t work, but a second one did.

The Vita helpfully hasn’t been updated to account for code generators, so it will give you instructions on the assumption your 2FA is being done by SMS.

If access to past purchases is blocked, meaning losing ownership of digital titles, I can see there being a huge uproar (and maybe legal proceedings?), as that seems utterly unacceptable. Certainly considering you could still purchase stuff now and then you suddenly don't own it a few weeks later.

As far as I can see, there isn't any suggestion that's what's happening, is there? It's just you won't be able to make new purchases as the storefront will be gone. It'll be interesting to see how that works in practice.

59 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

What's also different, I think, is how playable and attractive those last-gen games are. I can imagine going from PS2 to PS3, with the significant step up in visual quality that entailed, I wouldn't want to spend much time playing PS1 and PS2. That's a lot less true when you think about PS3 and onwards. A lot of those PS3 games still look decent enough. (Especially, my repeat bugbear, the smaller digital titles like Shatter or whatever.)

Yeah, exactly. It's ironic that both Sony and Microsoft sacked off backwards compatibility at pretty much the exact point when it started to become more valuable. It's interesting that in the Jim Ryan quote above, he references the Gran Turismo games because while GT1 and GT2 obviously look a bit primitive now, the PS2 era games look surprisingly good when upscaled in an emulator, and the PS3 games look amazing. 

19 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah, exactly. It's ironic that both Sony and Microsoft sacked off backwards compatibility at pretty much the exact point when it started to become more valuable. 

I’m not sure that’s really true in Microsoft’s case, at least not in a “these games are shit, nobody’s interested” sort of way. I think there was an acceptance at the beginning of last-gen that there were valid technical reasons for its omission, although Sony’s cynical decision not to allow you to play old games you owned that were available via its streaming technology was another matter entirely.

360 backwards compatibility on Xbox One started a couple of years after launch and, if I recall correctly, took everyone by surprise given how unlikely it was considered beforehand. That must have been something they were working on for a while and, perhaps, at one stage unsure as to whether it would work out.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I wonder if this will mean you can't download existing purchases? I'd be interested to see what comes of the inevitable civil suits that will arise in the US.

This is the big question though even if you can still download purchases it is still likely to be delaying the inevitable. 

What happened to the wii shop when that shut?

Assuming 3DS Eshop closure might happen at some point?

9 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

This is the big question though even if you can still download purchases it is still likely to be delaying the inevitable. 

What happened to the wii shop when that shut?

Assuming 3DS Eshop closure might happen at some point?

Wii shop stopped redownloads about 12 months after they stopped letting you purchase things I think. It’s certainly no longer possible to get your old purchases back.

25 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

I’m not sure that’s really true in Microsoft’s case, at least not in a “these games are shit, nobody’s interested” sort of way. I think there was an acceptance at the beginning of last-gen that there were valid technical reasons for its omission, although Sony’s cynical decision not to allow you to play old games you owned that were available via its streaming technology was another matter entirely.

360 backwards compatibility on Xbox One started a couple of years after launch and, if I recall correctly, took everyone by surprise given how unlikely it was considered beforehand. That must have been something they were working on for a while and, perhaps, at one stage unsure as to whether it would work out.

"Sacked off" is probably a bit dismissive, but despite dabbling with backwards compatibility to varying degrees of commitment both Sony and Microsoft went into the last gen with no BC service at all. I strongly suspect they didn't think it was a big deal. Obviously, Microsoft reconsidered that decision later, but they seemed fairly set on the idea that BC didn't really matter.

17 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

I seem to remember the original Xbox One execs being very dismissive of backwards compatibility. I always thought of that program as a sort of skunkworks thing that only started after launch, as a way to be more competitive with the PS4. Which, y’know, has panned out incredibly well.

Just now, Alex W. said:

I seem to remember the original Xbox One execs being very dismissive of backwards compatibility. I always thought of that program as a sort of skunkworks thing that only started after launch, as a way to be more competitive with the PS4. Which, y’know, has panned out incredibly well.

To be fair, the original Xbox One execs seemed very dismissive of games consoles in general, and seemed to want to launch a cable box instead. Reversing pretty much every decision those guys made has been key to the brand's revival in recent years.

The key with the Xbox's backward compatibility programme is not just that it runs all these games, but it runs them better than ever before. Higher resolutions, better framerates and HDR make these old titles stand up incredibly well today. Quite apart from everything else it does, the Series X is the best Xbox 360 ever made. And as a result those old games continue to sell.

Whereas Sony's approach to backward compatibility - whether that's PS4 games on PS5, PS1 games on PS2, or PSP games on Vita - has been much more grudging. They'll give it to you, but they won't put any effort into it, and they don't really understand why you want it. Supporting old stuff isn't their priority, and sooner or later, as with this Vita shutdown, those games will disappear.

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards" -  Mattrick, D (2013). 'I Am The Don - The Complete Works of Don Mattrick, Vol. 12 - 2011 - 2013. Mat Trick Press. p.780

Right, with that decision to support Xbox 360 titles they didn’t just find a way to keep playing old games, but a whole strategy around making old games more desirable and attractive to players, which in turn has helped boost Game Pass’s bottomless-well-of-content approach. It’s really cohesive in a way that Sony frankly might not have been able to do properly even if they decided to.

28 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Wii shop stopped redownloads about 12 months after they stopped letting you purchase things I think. It’s certainly no longer possible to get your old purchases back.

It's definitely possible to get your old Wii purchases back and redownload. I did it just last week as I did the Wii to WiiU transfer.

It wouldn't surprise me if the XBox BC programme came out of other Microsoft work, for example they were / are always throwing new things into Azure, in hypervisors, in virtualising Windows and the related apps, in scaling, in being cross-platform and device agnostic.  People forget that fundamentally, Microsoft is a software company and they spend a lot of money in the area.

Sony are - by comparison - a hardware company.  They don't have the same level of developers and they certainly don't derive the same benefits from putting together a BC programme.  MS can justify the work because the knowledge gained in doing so has massive benefits right across all of their business.  It's a harder sell in Sony.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Take note, PS5 digital owners. 

Physical won't help you.

If they turn off redownloading digital purchases they'll turn off patch downloading.

And there's very few modern releases you'd want to play the version that shipped, and that number ain't gonna increase.

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Physical won't help you.

If they turn off redownloading digital purchases they'll turn off patch downloading.

And there's very few modern releases you'd want to play the version that shipped, and that number ain't gonna increase.

This is a good point and it’s almost more annoying than the digital purchase shut down because physical has some hint of permanence about it. 

You’re gonna have some games that work okay ‘out the box’ and some that don’t. I imagine a back street market for game patches. 

“I can you do you a day one for Skyrim mate but it’ll cost you.”

I guess switch games are fairly immune from their right? I know they still get day one patches but mostly they should probably work pretty well out the box? 

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.