I'd quite like to play Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow again on the DS, but I don't want to pay £50+ to do so. This person on eBay is selling what seems to me to be an obvious fake or pirated version of the game cart (it says 'reproduction version' in the description) for a tenner. My question is, will this, and other obvious fakes from eBay, run just fine on my 3DS? I'm not precious about whether or not it's genuine, and I don't care about having the box or manual. I just want to be able to play the game on a handheld console and for it to run well and still support things like saving.

Are there equivalents of this for even rarer and more expensive games, like Chrono Trigger DS, for example?

Apologies, mods, if this sort of thread is a big no no.

I can't confidently say these wouldn't be suitable for your needs, since I've never had one, but I used to get unlucky and receive blag GBA carts in the mid-2000s and found that their batteries rarely lasted five minutes. I'd start a game and the file would be gone the next time I played. Maybe the battery tech in cheapo DS carts is better, but I wouldn't bet on it! Not sure if it's worth a quarter of the price of the real thing just to find out...

If they’re not genuine they simply won’t play on a 3DS. It’s actually the easiest way to ensure that a cart is genuine as DS games are still region free although there are a handful of DSi enhanced games that aren’t.

Thanks @Klatrymadon and @ymaohyd. I guess my only option for playing those games handheld is to pony up for genuine carts, then? I could probably emulate them without too much trouble from a PC, but there's something to be said for being able to play them in bed.

Am I right in thinking that you can't buy DS games from the 3DS eShop?

You can mod your 3DS and make it a superb emulation machine, there's a thread in retro.  I'd feel better knowing the game was being downloaded for free off the internet instead of you spending money on a fake from eBay.  

On 23/03/2021 at 06:46, Klatrymadon said:

I can't confidently say these wouldn't be suitable for your needs, since I've never had one, but I used to get unlucky and receive blag GBA carts in the mid-2000s and found that their batteries rarely lasted five minutes. I'd start a game and the file would be gone the next time I played. Maybe the battery tech in cheapo DS carts is better, but I wouldn't bet on it! Not sure if it's worth a quarter of the price of the real thing just to find out...

Pretty sure DS carts don't use batteries. 

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, in the end I decided to just buy a pre-made flash cart with 200-odd games on it for a tenner because I couldn't be bothered to do it myself. I don't really care about 90% of the games on there, but there are at least 10 I want to play. Of course, I haven't actually got round to playing any of them yet, but I booted it up and played 5 minutes of Dawn of Sorrow, and it seems to work fine.