• gizmo1990 changed the title to FunKey S Micro Handheld
2 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's lovely but you'd play games on it for 10 minutes, realise it's too small and go back to something with a screen you can see.

Yep I can understand that. However it seems far more on the usability scale than that Sega micro gg. 

Just now, gizmo1990 said:

Yep I can understand that. However it seems far more on the usability scale than that Sega micro gg. 

The Sega Micro Game Gear is an interesting comparison. The thing is, one of these was made by a bunch of chancers. And the other is a Kickstarter.

8 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Crowd-funded? That’s a massive warning sign in itself, regardless of any quality issues the device may or may not have.

How so? Unless I've misunderstood the video, it seems to have succeeded and they're going to be making more, no?

1 minute ago, Camel said:

How so? Unless I've misunderstood the video, it seems to have succeeded and they're going to be making more, no?

Oh, OK, you’re correct. Jumped the gun. Basically I don’t trust anything crowd-funded where you have to pay upfront (which is not the case here, it seems) as I’ve been ‘stung’ twice.

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

Well yes but if you need to transport 3 kids you don't buy a bicycle because it's a slightly better idea than a unicycle :)

So, they had a screen “custom made” for this, and they went with a square 240x240 pixel display fixed at 50 Hz?

Was their spec “the worst possible screen for playing retro games on”? Or is this less “custom made” and more “leftover screens from photo keychains from 2008”?

Ah, according to their Wiki the screen part they have supports up to 120 Hz, and the games are running at 60 Hz, but the transfer rate on their hardware is too slow update the frame buffer that quickly. So it skips one frame in every 6 to give a sort of lurching 50 Hz.