Are many 8/16 but games still playable or only the AA+ games?

12 minutes ago, deKay said:

E-SWAT is and always was a terrible game though

I know it's divisive but you must be thinking of the diabolical Master System port or the nothing special arcade original.

Eswat MD however is magnificent IMO, cut from the same cloth as Revenge of Shinobi and a system great. 

28 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I know it's divisive but you must be thinking of the diabolical Master System port or the nothing special arcade original.

Eswat MD however is magnificent IMO, cut from the same cloth as Revenge of Shinobi and a system great. 

No, the MD version. It’s dreadful.

On 23/03/2021 at 10:20, Ketchup said:

I installed a mega drive emulator on my wiiu and decided to add any game of interest to it. Obviously this included stuff like the sonics and games I had as a child but also lots of stuff I’d maybe wanted to play as a child but never did.

Back in 1999/2000, I was given a disc of Kgen 98 with a large chuck on Mega Drive games on it. I likely played most game about 5-10 minutes and dismissed most games including the Streets of Rage series as being a bit rubbish on the system. What was in fact rubbish was the emulator Kgen 98 and likely a large chuck of bad dumps, but back then I didn't realise this.

For a couple of years after that I dismissed the Mega Drive as being rubbish compared to SNES. Around 2005 I finally got a real Mega Drive 2 and a couple of games, mainly at the time to play the Shining games. It was like night and day with the experience the games played looked and felt much better, plus having only a couple of games I spent the time to sit down and give them a good couple of hours play time each in order to understand each game. It totally changed my opinion and I never looked back. I've even imported the Japanese Bare Knuckle III (Streets of Rage 3) last year as I enjoyed the game so much! Certainly didn't back then.

My original view had been formed unfairly from poor quality emulation, even the best Mega Drive emulators now still get things wrong that includes Kega Fusion, Exodus and Blast'em all have problems. The other fact is when you have a large number of games it's very easy to quickly dismiss one and move onto the next, thinking that the next one will be better rather than giving the one you are playing a chance.

While not every game in the 8bit or 16bit era was a gem there are a lot of very good games on console and I've lost track of the amount of gems I have discovered over the years. On SNES I got a copy of Super Birdie Rush and Bounty Sword over xmas one is a rather enjoyable golf game the other a unique tactical RPG that got a remake on PlayStation and a sequel. Both you rarely hear anything of!

While I do think the consoles have aged better than the old UK home computers, a lot of Amiga games haven't stood the test of time and much as I loved the ZX Spectrum in the 80s. It was before W,A,S,D was a control standard and many games had horrible keyboard layouts you couldn't config and the 20 minute loading on some games. Yeah no thanks can't do that again. That's one I do stick with modern versions like Rare Replay.

I think there are definitely good old games to be discovered on all formats. But tolerance for particular styles of gameplay or graphical fidelity varies from person to person, as will the amount of games that you consider to be obscure or not be AA+ (whatever that is). I grew up with a SNES as my main console from 93-97 and played SNES games at friends houses since the machine launched, as well as reading Total! and Super Play, so I feel like I'm pretty familiar with the SNES game library. I know all the first party classics and the other big PAL releases. All the second hand shops in town stocked US imports and I played plenty of those too. I know many of the less revered but still good quality English titles and I know some of the utter dross to avoid. But there are so many Japanese games that I've never seen or played, many of which I'm sure are great. I certainly played some cool import stuff at a friends house about 10 years ago - he paid good money for obscure retro stuff like Undercover Cops and Psycho Dream. More recently I played Operation Logic Bomb and one of the Sailor Moon scrolling beat 'em ups, which were both solid efforts for their genre. 

On a side note, just because a game didn't review brilliantly back in the day, doesn't mean it's not going to be enjoyable. I remember Jaki Crush Pinball getting a pretty mediocre score in Super Play. There's only one table - fair enough, if you're going to drop £50+ on importing it as a new release, you better be into fantasy pinball games. But I got it second hand for £3, cart only, and it's one of my favourite games on the system. 

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Good lord.

I don't understand.  Are you saying that Sega"s ESwat, a game that was in arcades, got bundled with the Megadrive in the shop I worked in at the time, was converted to Amiga, Atari, Spectrum etc, is an unknown game you just stumbled across and turned out to be a hidden gem? 

It's well known! I'll shut up.

10 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I don't understand.  Are you saying that Sega"s ESwat, a game that was in arcades, got bundled with the Megadrive in the shop I worked in at the time, was converted to Amiga, Atari, Spectrum etc, is an unknown game you just stumbled across and turned out to be a hidden gem? 

No.

19 hours ago, dumpster said:

Maybe I just read all the magazine's too much at the time.  To me, E-swat is a well known game  (we bundled it with the console at one point) . Combatribes was well received too back in that's day.  So far in this thread of "what games are great but you've never heard of" theres only one game I've not heard of.  GeGeGe No Kitaro which I will now check out.  

Yes Eswat was a big deal at the time. I have fond memories because it was the first Japanese import game one of my best friends in school had for his UK Mega Drive. We played it a lot. 

13 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

On a side note, just because a game didn't review brilliantly back in the day, doesn't mean it's not going to be enjoyable. I remember Jaki Crush Pinball getting a pretty mediocre score in Super Play. There's only one table - fair enough, if you're going to drop £50+ on importing it as a new release, you better be into fantasy pinball games. But I got it second hand for £3, cart only, and it's one of my favourite games on the system. 

This is very true. If you could only get 2-3 games per years then using one of those slots on a one-table pinball game was quite the commitment. Now those worries are out the window.

Yeah I've found this is a big thing with old games.  A game that's fun for an hour but genuinely fun for an hour is now a great discovery.

Back then it'd be fucking awful.

23 hours ago, dumpster said:

So far in this thread of "what games are great but you've never heard of" 

I think I've spotted your mistake. That's not what the OP says at all.

I'd still like to know what sort of recommendations the OP is looking for. @Ketchup? Shall we assume platformers for now? I've mentioned this elsewhere but I've returned to Umihara Kawase recently and put a decent amount of time into it and while I find the difficulty in the later levels perhaps too much (and it seems there is worse to come), it's a really solid game with a unique mechanic that is really enjoyable to play around with. It's not The Most Obscure Game In the Universe or anything (sorry dumpster), but it's not Sonic or Mario and yes, it's 100% excellent and worth playing.  

To be honest im not sure if im actually look for recommendations. It was more me just thinking that actually a lot of games which scored average to well back in the day would now score rather poorly. Like for the time they were fine, maybe even good but going back to them now with all the QoL improvements we've had over the years means a lot of titles are just tough to play for the first time now. Going back to an xbox 360/PS3 era game i feel most will hold up fairly well to when they first launched. Dreamcast and PS2 as well. PSone and N64, maybe not as many titles hold up but i bet quite a lot still do. Just the further you go back in generations the more difficult the games are to play compared to what we are now used to.

Like thinking of the NES, and all it's titles how many out of the thousands made can people say, yeah thats worth a play through today. In my mind the number will be tiny but thats what i wanted to explore and see if actually im wrong and there is tonnes of games worth playing but i either a) haven't given them the chance or b) didn't know to try them.

It's totally subjective and I think hinges massively on your approach. My E-SWAT example earlier was an attempt to demonstrate that games dismissed as average can turn out to be excellent. I'd played it when it was a new Mega Drive game but quickly dismissed it as average. Because it was the subject of discussion here, I returned to it and persevered. Once I'd got into the softly, softly approach the game requires, I loved it.

Umihara Kawase I've tried to get into many times over the years, but usually once I reach the stages with the fast moving birds and sack it off as too hard. I've persevered with it this time and I'm consistently reaching level 23 (out of 44) and I'm I'm currently loving it. 

Countless C64 games (some I'd previously dismissed) have suddenly gained a new lease of life for me simply from playing them in Lemon64's monthly high score competition. The motivation to reach a decent score does wonders for getting to grips with a game. 

I absolutely can't get anywhere with old RPGs, mind. I struggle with modern ones though, to be fair and have only ever completed a few. But old RPGs where you're left to wander and figure out where to go next; that's a wall of boredom I just can't get over.

I think the number of still-playable games is probably a fair bit higher than you think it is and even higher if you keep an open mind.

It was said earlier that all the hidden gems would now have been discovered (can't find the quote), but this isn't quite true.

Thanks to fan-translations there are new forgotten gems coming to light every week. Classic games on older systems finally made playable in English:

www.romhacking.net

Just to use the Mega Drive as an example, the last two was an update for Rent a Hero (funky Sega RPG), and Lord Monarch, a Falcom strategy title.

Just browse the systems to find some great titles made available in English.

Also people release new games for these systems. I bought a spectrum game, on cassette this year.

And the next game I buy will probably be a master system cartridge released in 2020.

Not to mention that even if people have the knowledge, very few people will have the time to have played all the good games (hidden gems or otherwise) on all the retro systems. I may have a good SNES knowledge, but I’ve barely scratched the surface of the Mega Drive, PCE or Neo Geo libraries.