Rambo

Robo_1

I recently picked up all three films, as I've been told by all and sundry that my status as an action fan, is worthless without having seen them. I can see the issues the films were tackling, and whilst they would have obviously had more impact at the time, I think the films themselves actually stand up pretty well. It's rather to obvious that the series should have ended with the first one, not because the sequels are necessarily bad, but because the character was clearly created to tell one story, and not become a Hollywood super hero.

The second and third films are great action films mind. With cliches pouring out of them, and stuff blowing up every five minutes, they are great pop corn action films, even if the General tends to speak of Rambo as if he were the almighty himself :P

the first one's pretty good, and Sly even has a crack at that 'acting' lark in it (especially that bit at the end when he yaps about his mates in the manner of some snot filled two-year-old who's just banged their knee).

The other two are strident republican 'bomb-the-brown-people' rah-rah-rah fox news style bullshit as I recall, and should be flogged at the nearest car boot sale, pronto.

Rambo 3 = funniest movie ever. The finla scene when Rambo takes on and defeats an entire russian division is hilarious. Its gas to see that the US are back in Afgahnistan again, shame Stallone couldn't get the go-ahead for a new flick set there again

I thought the entire point of Rambo was that whilst he had survived the vietnam war, his experiences had left him damaged all the same. He was unable to integrate back into a society that didn't want him and all he could really understand was more killing.

In the end he breaks down completely and you are left with the paradoxical mix of his great vulnerability (emotional wreck) and invulerability (killing machine).

Rambo 2 and 3 have cock all to do with the first film, but one of them does have a big exploding arrow in it.

First Blood was a fantastic innovative movie that helped kick start the lone hero movies of the eighties, unfortunately they did a Spinal Tap in the second and third movies by turning the violence and explosions up to 11 but left the story at 2.