Stowaway - Mars mission gone wrong

From the pair behind Arctic, starring Mads Mikkelsen. This one is set in a 3-person mission to Mars. But a fourth person, an engineer working on the ship before lift-off, seems to have somehow lost consciousness and was on board when it launched, becoming an unintended stowaway. The extra person, coupled with some damage, means there are not enough resources for four people to make it to Mars alive, only three. What to do?

Stars Anna Kendrick, Daniel Dae Kim, Shamier Anderson, and Toni Collette.

22 minutes ago, Chosty said:

This just makes me want a long-form, full-scale adaptation of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.

Well, the first book at least. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet. I think it was ‘optioned’ but nothing came of it. I seem to remember J Michael Straczynki was involved at some point. 

55 minutes ago, Pob said:

Well, the first book at least. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet. I think it was ‘optioned’ but nothing came of it. I seem to remember J Michael Straczynki was involved at some point. 

It's true Red Mars is the best (and most action-packed), but there's still plenty of great stuff in Green Mars. I can't remember much about Blue Mars, though. 

Lol, what a load of bollocks!

Like they can't just turn around and land back on Earth if there's any problem. NO, they MUST go on a two year mission to Mars, despite not having enough supplies to last that long! 

Although it would maybe be the case if Elon Musk was behind the project.

On 31/03/2021 at 06:36, gone fishin' said:

Lol, what a load of bollocks!

Like they can't just turn around and land back on Earth if there's any problem. NO, they MUST go on a two year mission to Mars, despite not having enough supplies to last that long! 

Although it would maybe be the case if Elon Musk was behind the project.

Do you even know who Scott Manley is?  He's a fucking legend. Show the proper respect!

What's more, the even more legendary legend Buzz Aldrin worked out the maths for the Mars cycler they use.  If he was in the room with you, he'd punch you in the face.

The movie might be garbage, but Mars cyclers are one of the legitimate ways you'd fly to Mars.  Hop on and off a craft that's been placed in an orbit that meets Earth at one point of its orbit and Mars later on. What little propulsion it has is to keep it in that orbit.

The big rocket versions of getting to Mars, like Starship, would use about 98% of their propellant in the first few minutes of a six month flight.  There's no turning around.

Play some Kerbal!

10 hours ago, Jimmyzilla said:

I didn't even watch the trailer before but knowing Scott Manley consulted on it is a massive selling point for me!

Suddenly I'm a lot more interested. :D

If nothing else the design and ideas here should be interesting to see. I tend to enjoy anything vaguely space related to some extent though.

4 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Do you even know who Scott Manley is?  He's a fucking legend. Show the proper respect!

What's more, the even more legendary legend Buzz Aldrin worked out the maths for the Mars cycler they use.  If he was in the room with you, he'd punch you in the face.

The movie might be garbage, but Mars cyclers are one of the legitimate ways you'd to Mars.  Hop on and off a craft that's been placed in an orbit that meets Earth at one point of its orbit and Mars later on. What little propulsion it has is to keep it in that orbit.

The big rocket versions of getting to Mars, like Starship, would use about 98% of their propellant in the first few minutes of a six month flight.  There's no turning around.

Play some Kerbal!

Scott who? I just looked him up...

While studying at the University of Glasgow, Manley received a BSc (1990–1994) in physics and astronomy, and an MSc (1994–1995) in computational physics a year later.

In 2002, he worked as an engineer for Napster. Later, from 2002 up until 2004, he worked as a research engineer for Qualys. From 2004 to 2009, he worked as a security architect in imeem, where he developed and maintained an audio and video upload, transcoding, fingerprinting system among other things.

Manley's current employment is at Apple Inc. He joined Topsy Labs in 2009 and in 2013 Topsy was acquired by Apple.[1]

Ah, that famous designer of space transport systems for, er, Napster.

If they’re using a system that literally cannot stop a 2 year journey to Mars, 12 hours after it departs, then there’s a fundamental problem right there. 

But anyway, we live in a world where Elon Musk is considered a top astrophysicist, so I guess a YouTuber who plays video games should give great insight into how modern films are developed.

Bah, how on earth did we go from Carl Sagan advising on 2001: A Space Odyssey to this??

Lol, what a load of bollocks!!

Who was it on here that complained about plot holes in A Quiet Place based on the trailer? Something about “why would he have a toy that makes noise”. Never stopping to wonder if maybe the full film might have an explanation for it. 

But he’s just a Kerbal playing YouTuber so why should we believe his drivel? I’ve got as few qualifications as him and say you can just turn around by reaching outside and throwing spare things forward to slow you down and start going back to earth.

/s

• 4 weeks later...

So this is out on Netflix now. Just watched it and it was... fine. Bit of a waste of an actor as good as Toni Collette (she's not bad in this but doesn't have a huge amount to work with). 

3/5, probably. Not bad for free.

Yeah, we just finished it. It was decent, but nothing special. A few nice space shots, though which pulled me through. I'll have forgotten about it in a week. 

Came here to say the same after watching it last night.

I actually didnt mind the lack of much going on, as I am prone to trying to predict plot-points in movies so ended up subverting my own expectations a lot. The end was a bit blunt, felt like it needed a few minutes to wrap up.

What I did like was the authentic feel of stuff and incidental detail (so imagine my surprise on finding out just now that Scott Manley was involved) and the fact that they didnt labour any of it with exposition, it's just there for ppl who would know what to look for.

Only bit I was a bit suspect of was the 

Spoiler

Big long climb seeming more laboured and risky than it needed to be.

But then since their entire predicament was due to someone briefly forgetting to clip-in during maintenance, I can well believe that the training for this place is a bit sub-par! :D

SM literally just put up a follow-on video funnily enough if anyone is interested. Some nice detail in there:

Sounds like he had the same thought I did re the ending setpiece.

I mean, I'm not expecting anyone to be able to tie a prussik loop for the ascent through giant space gloves, but you get get commercially available camming devices that just operate on a locking pull-lever. But yeah, gets in the way of the intended story.

Watched this last night. I found the premise interesting as a ‘what if’ scenario but the direction was fairly weak, especially the latter half. I also found the character building, which is actually the main bulk of the story, very thin and superficial. In a drama of this sort it would be great to feel connected to situation by identifying oneself with one, or more, of the characters but none of them stood out for me. 
I think I get what the director was going for with the last scene and closing shot but,again, I felt nothing.

It all kinda felt like an episode of a series padded out over 2h just to call it a film.

The best bits were actually the science parts and to the clown in this thread who previously shouted bollocks at the fact they simply didn’t turn around after just 12h either has to be trolling or using Flerf ‘science’.

2.5/5 for me.

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, so quite enjoyed it.

Spoiler

They should have sent the plant man out to retrieve the oxygen canister. I would rather have a doctor on board for the rest of the journey, than someone who gets excited by algae.

Loving the "what a load of bollocks, just turn it around" hot take above. Guess it's the space equivalent of the people spouting "Ship stuck in the Suez Canal? Just get a couple of Chinooks in mate, sort it right out."

This started quite well but didn't end brilliantly.

I thought that it would end up revolving around a question:

Spoiler

Who deserves to live? The stowaway was there by accident through no fault of his own, while the others were there because they signed up for it while knowing the risks. It really seemed to go this way for some time - should the plant guy sacrifice himself because his research is ruined, should the commander sacrifice herself because she's in charge (or is that a reason for her not to?) Should the doctor sacrifice herself because her career is built on saving others? Should they draw straws? How far does following orders go when you're asked to sacrifice yourself, or let someone else die? Should they all die together on the basis that it's an impossible question to answer without devaluing human life?

In the end, it skimmed over most of these and went with "sacrifice is noble isn't it" which seemed less interesting. I didn't really have any emotional connection to the cast so the resolution felt quite forced and abrupt.

1 hour ago, Moz said:

This started quite well but didn't end brilliantly.

I thought that it would end up revolving around a question:

Hide contents

Who deserves to live? The stowaway was there by accident through no fault of his own, while the others were there because they signed up for it while knowing the risks. It really seemed to go this way for some time - should the plant guy sacrifice himself because his research is ruined, should the commander sacrifice herself because she's in charge (or is that a reason for her not to?) Should the doctor sacrifice herself because her career is built on saving others? Should they draw straws? How far does following orders go when you're asked to sacrifice yourself, or let someone else die? Should they all die together on the basis that it's an impossible question to answer without devaluing human life?

In the end, it skimmed over most of these and went with "sacrifice is noble isn't it" which seemed less interesting. I didn't really have any emotional connection to the cast so the resolution felt quite forced and abrupt.

Definitely agree with this.

Spoiler

I was hoping for a twist where it unravelled that the stowaway wasn't there by accident and had some ulterior motive, but as it became clear that wasn't going to happen the least they could've done is inject some gravitas into the question of who should live. In the end it was 'i'll go!', 'ok!' which fell very flat.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, so quite enjoyed it.

Hide contents

They should have sent the plant man out to retrieve the oxygen canister. I would rather have a doctor on board for the rest of the journey, than someone who gets excited by algae.

Loving the "what a load of bollocks, just turn it around" hot take above. Guess it's the space equivalent of the people spouting "Ship stuck in the Suez Canal? Just get a couple of Chinooks in mate, sort it right out."

Spoiler

Think the implication was that plant-guy was such a shit climber that he might not even manage the trip.

25 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Definitely agree with this.

Hide contents

I was hoping for a twist where it unravelled that the stowaway wasn't there by accident and had some ulterior motive, but as it became clear that wasn't going to happen the least they could've done is inject some gravitas into the question of who should live. In the end it was 'i'll go!', 'ok!' which fell very flat.

Spoiler

Same, that's one of the main things I alluded to subverting my own expectations over, I mean even the title 'stowaway' implies intent. You dont normally use that word for accidental stowing-away I guess?

TBH all that second-guessing myself made the first half more interesting than it may have been otherwise.