Edge #357 - Deathloop

18 minutes ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

An example of terrible cover art:

image.jpeg.1be30674b852eb4ab954e74166829951.jpeg

Not Edge’s best, but come the fuck on. 

The art itself on the edge cover is fine. The composition however is as amateurish as your example. I suspect the original artist didn't design that composition.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That would be Splinter Cell Blacklist, a perfect blend of the purist stealth of the older games and the action spectacle of Conviction. Highly recommended, on Xbox it runs enhanced through BC and looks like beautiful.

True, but Conviction has you savagely beat up a black man in front of the Lincoln Memorial, on the very spot Dr King gave his "I have a dream" speech. So who's to say which one is better.

I was desensitised to bad covers when Total Film or Empire did a Kill Bill 2 cover of Uma Thurman in a tank top where they had very crudely photoshopped on plunging bosoms. The in next issue’s letters page they tried to claim that the image - a very widely distributed promo still from the movie - had looked like that when they got it from the studio.

The (p)review of Subnautica: BZ is very poor. 

Pretty much the entire game is available in early access and the vast majority of it has been for months, but whoever wrote the hype section for it admits to playing six hours of a 20+ experience and moaning it all seems a bit similar.

Indeed the early hours are similar, find resources, unlock blueprints and gear, build vehicles. But then the story takes a major and fascinating twist, and it goes from there. There’s no indication the writer played it that far. Yet the text asks the game to do more when it’s finished - despite it being functionally so, if the writer played it this year.

Were this an early build or demo slice, I could understand. But it’s a complete game in the very tail end of EA and this shite two-page ‘preview’ could dissuade people from making a purchase right now.

You wouldn’t expect a reviewer to play only a quarter of a released game and give a definitive opinion, and yet this is exactly what this feels like.

Be better Edge.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

The (p)review of Subnautica: BZ is very poor. 

Pretty much the entire game is available in early access and the vast majority of it has been for months, but whoever wrote the hype section for it admits to playing six hours of a 20+ experience and moaning it all seems a bit similar.

Indeed the early hours are similar, find resources, unlock blueprints and gear, build vehicles. But then the story takes a major and fascinating twist, and it goes from there. There’s no indication the writer played it that far. Yet the text asks the game to do more when it’s finished - despite it being functionally so, if the writer played it this year.

Were this an early build or demo slice, I could understand. But it’s a complete game in the very tail end of EA and this shite two-page ‘preview’ could dissuade people from making a purchase right now.

You wouldn’t expect a reviewer to play only a quarter of a released game and give a definitive opinion, and yet this is exactly what this feels like.

Be better Edge.

Playing a few hours is fine for a preview, they’re just first impressions.

They should finish making the game if people want it reviewed properly.

10 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Narita Boy - 6

This looked vaguely interesting and is coming to Gamepass, but on further investigation it seemed like a tryhard, desperate to be cool, none-more-eighties synthwave thing - the equivalent of a Gunship or Com Truise album. On the nose and tired. I'm very ready for this trend to pass.

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

I wouldn’t expect anyone to finish a crap game, reviewer or not. 

6 hours ago, Rudderless said:

Give it time.

You let someone use the phrase “64-bit”.
Have you got a an electronic archive to check whether Edge has published that term since the 1990s? (I can only think perhaps something on star citizens choice of doubles over floats for x,y,z space, but that might be a bit geeky even for the magazine).

12 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Playing a few hours is fine for a preview, they’re just first impressions.

They should finish making the game if people want it reviewed properly.

So, the purpose of a preview is just to give first impressions of the first few hours of a game?

See, for me, the purpose of a preview is to tell me how a game is shaping up in its current stage of development, and whether or not to put it on my radar, or as Edge puts it, to be a bit ‘hype’ for it.

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

So, the purpose of a preview is just to give first impressions of the first few hours of a game?

See, for me, the purpose of a preview is to tell me how a game is shaping up in its current stage of development, and whether or not to put it on my radar, or as Edge puts it, to be a bit ‘hype’ for it.

In honesty the purpose of a preview for something in early access seems a bit muddled. There are going to be lots of videos of people playing and discussing the whole thing for people to consume to decide if they want to jump in now. Anyone else can wait for a release and review.

I don’t think it’s going to make much of a difference to anyone’s opinion of the game, I have no interest in it and I’ve still managed to read several articles and see one video preview of it over the past year or so. I’ve not read the article yet but it does sound at odds with how Edge has handled early access previews before. (When they previewed Hades they had clearly ground up all of the available content.)

That Deathloop feature is great. I loved the Dishonored games and this sounds like it’ll be closer to them than Prey, which didn’t really hit the mark for me, aesthetically or in terms of gameplay. 

The Splinter Cell feature is good too, and does a really good job of setting out exactly why it’s such a good game, while also highlighting the bits that are either a bit rubbish or a bit hateful. I replayed it a couple of years ago, and was surprised at just how badly the interrogation scenes had dated, and how misogynistic one scene where you have to beat up a woman was. But the core of it still holds up - it’s stealth on fast-forward, with all the planning and tension and improvisation but none of the crawling through an air vent for twenty minutes and then dying because you stepped on a crisp packet and set off an alarm. Plus, I hadn’t realised just how much of the game had been cannibalised by subsequent Ubisoft games.