PlayStation Network still open - All choppers are returning to Saigon

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

Is it still possible to get a Vita (old OLED model) connected to PSN? If so, how? If not, how can I access my download list?

Yes. It’s still connects fine. Go to the store and tap on the options button in the bottom right to view the download list. 

18 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Yes. It’s still connects fine. Go to the store and tap on the options button in the bottom right to view the download list. 

My problem is I can’t sign into PSN. Something to do with 2FA I think. I think I’m going to have to turn 2FA off, sign in, then turn it back on again.

If you've got 2FA enabled you need to generate a device password on the Sony website. Log on, navigate to your account page, select Security and then Device Setup Password.

You only have to enter it once.

You need to go in to the 2FA settings in a browser, create a whatchamacallit password, and use that to log in on the Vita. They updated the way 2FA works but I don’t think the Vita OS’s messages were updated to give you the proper instructions.

And now I've hit an issue where I can't update Content Manager on my PC. The latest version needs the C++ redistributable from Microsoft but the link it's trying to download it from is broken. I've tried installing it manually but it doesn't recognise it.

I think my Vita might be knackered. I’ve spent ages trying to log into PSN now. Using my password I get an error mentioning 2FA but using the Sony generated password I get error NW-2304-9. 

I gave someone a PS3 slim today, as they needed something to watch Netflix etc, as they've just moved into a new flat, and the TV they have isn't a smart TV. They had to leave things like their NowTV box, Firestick behind when they moved, so I thought a PS3 is perfect, you've got the apps for the streaming services etc, and can play blurays and DVDs.

Of all the streaming apps, only Netflix, Amazon, Plex and Youtube still work after the latest forced updates, the rest update and pop up a splash screen saying they are no longer compatible - so no NowTV, no All4, no iPlayer.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I had that, and I just rebooted the Vita and made another password and it worked.

Yeah - it worked eventually.

Now I’m trying to navigate the download list.

There’s five versions of PS1 Metal Gear Solid on there - all slightly different sizes.

9 hours ago, Creamstick said:

Of all the streaming apps, only Netflix, Amazon, Plex and Youtube still work after the latest forced updates, the rest update and pop up a splash screen saying they are no longer compatible - so no NowTV, no All4, no iPlayer.

That's a shitty thing.

Reminds me of a joke I saw online. With the above problem, and not being able to download your games, someone said Sony wants the PS3 to end the way it began: without any games. Which I thought was hilarious.

I eventually got the 80029509 problem solved. It turns out, contrary to what some online said, that it did need the 2 factor authentication. Which was a right pain the arse to get set-up. I despise 2FA at the best of times, but because you need to coordinate your PS3 with a browser, it can't just text you a code, I needed to use a web browser on my phone because my computer was in another room. Cue lots of fiddly slow page loads because my smartphone is ancient.

A quick browse of twitter shows that Japanese players are getting irritated by this. Sony has not stated anything officially.

I'm just glad I got it working.

Is anyone else still having the 80029509 problem?

Also, why the fuck does the store NOT tell you which version of cross-buy is which? I bought Hohokum. Two versions. One is 1.4 gig, the other 2.6 gig. So I assume the 1.4 is the PS3 and only download that. Half an hour later, NOPE! Vita version, mofos. So I have to delete it and then download the bigger file. Another half hour of my life gone.

This whole UI is bullshit.

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

They're the different language versions.

Ah - that makes sense. I was hoping one of them might be the NTSC version. It’s a shame they’re not labelled so there’s no way to tell which one’s which!

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

That's a shitty thing.

Reminds me of a joke I saw online. With the above problem, and not being able to download your games, someone said Sony wants the PS3 to end the way it began: without any games. Which I thought was hilarious.

I eventually got the 80029509 problem solved. It turns out, contrary to what some online said, that it did need the 2 factor authentication. Which was a right pain the arse to get set-up. I despise 2FA at the best of times, but because you need to coordinate your PS3 with a browser, it can't just text you a code, I needed to use a web browser on my phone because my computer was in another room. Cue lots of fiddly slow page loads because my smartphone is ancient.

A quick browse of twitter shows that Japanese players are getting irritated by this. Sony has not stated anything officially.

I'm just glad I got it working.

Is anyone else still having the 80029509 problem?

Also, why the fuck does the store NOT tell you which version of cross-buy is which? I bought Hohokum. Two versions. One is 1.4 gig, the other 2.6 gig. So I assume the 1.4 is the PS3 and only download that. Half an hour later, NOPE! Vita version, mofos. So I have to delete it and then download the bigger file. Another half hour of my life gone.

This whole UI is bullshit.

I had a similar problem logging into the Vita (I haven’t set up my PS3 for a few years now). What caused me the most trouble was finding the right Sony page to generate a password. I spent around half an hour navigating the PSN website before finding the right one.

Had been expecting this since they removed the web store late last years, but wasn't expecting them to close all three stores so soon, official post here from Sony on what's going: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/

There is a great website called delisted games that details just about everything pulled: https://delistedgames.com/

What the real madness is, that's games are still being released on the PSVita and Sony have only just said they will no longer cert Vita games in July. What this means is there will be games that will be available on the Vita for a matter of weeks only. As PSVita games will be released right up until they switch off the store. The other problem is the store is no longer updated, hence why FIFA 2019 is still on the front of the PS3 one and the only way to find new titles is to directly search for their name. The search function is terrible as well since they changed the store layout.

If you want to buy PSP games now, you must own either a PS3 or PSVita and directly search for the title or DLC name in either of their stores. There was no clear naming standard and some content has real odd names and is a nightmare to find.

I brought a huge chuck of stuff last year that was download only and DLC that were only on PS3, PSP or digital only. Sadly don't have a PSVita, so can't recommend any of that content.

For those of you buying games from the American and Japanese store. I take it you are using points cards? As I understood only credit cards from that country worked on them?

While the patching and authentication server remain up for now when these go down thing will become a nightmare, but that for now is another day. But the short answer is when that happens you won't be able to install downloaded PS3 games or move them to the PSP as both these actions require a network connection call. The cmos battery in your PS3 is also a ticking time bomb as well as this video shows, it refuses to run anything.....  (Sony: This is for the players)

Worth mentioning some games that were made before SONY set up the patching server have already had their patches lost, when their online server closed this includes Resistance Fall of Man & Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom.

Some games have patches in the store that are free downloads so download them now if you ever want to buy the game:

Lair (Control fix and a free dragon DLC) These are a must to make the game playable

Mass Effect 3 (Extended ending DLC was also a stealth patch that fixed many bugs.) (Also on other Formats.)

Sleeping Dogs (Community Gift Pack DLC was also a stealth patch that fixed many bugs.) (Also on other Formats.)

I'll start with a few titles that haven't been mentioned before or our PS3 exclusive, I just hope they haven't been delisted already. There hasn't been a sale on the PSP and PS3 in about two years now, so you will most likely have to pay full price sadly.

Okabu: A wonderfully original platform puzzle action title that has you playing as Cloud Whales with an eco theme as you battle the enemies polluting the world. Great graphics and art style and a superb soundtrack with an

Dark Mist: The Depths of Darkness:  A great action dungeon adventure game, however only the base game was released in Europe the DLC called (The Depths of Darkness) was only released in Asia and Japan and it hugely improved the game. Adding in new player characters and modes. I highly recommend you get the DLC while you can if you have access to the other regions. Goes without saying you will need to buy the Japanese version of the game to use the Japanese DLC.

As for the PSP there are lots of digital only games on the EU store that didn't get UMD release over here and a few that didn't get English UMD releases at all. Also a few games have DLC so I'll do a list in the near future:

Patchwork Hero: As others have mentioned the English release is digital only, it's a great take on the arcade format of Qix and a lot of fun with a sense of humour:

Brandish: The Dark Revenant, A remake of the SNES RPG title only got a digital release on PSP and it's an enjoyable dungeon game if the genre is your thing:

GenSan: So this did get a UMD release in all regions, but the PAL UMD release seems to have been very limited and not in the UK. Great action platformer not that long, but certainly has a 90s feel to it. Known as Hammerin' Hero in North America, not that cheap to buy at £25 in EU store.

Cheers fella - nice write up! :)

DLC is a big concern of mine now. Especially the free stuff. I hate DLC, even free DLC, because it means the game feels incomplete on the disc without it.

Other free stuff:

Alice Madness Returns - the whole PC prequel is available for free

Yakuza Dead Souls - free DLC which boosts EXP

Yakuza 4 - free DLC

Akiba's Trip - on the American PSN, lots of free stuff

Paid DLC:

Dark Souls - do I want the Artorius dlc for £10? I thought Dark Souls 1 was weak compared to Demon's or Dark Souls 2.

Nier - £5.79 for challenge missions? I loved Nier, but is it worth it?

Mass Effect 3 - mentioned already, the free ending DLC, plus the Citadel add-on for £12.

Asura's Wrath - I asked in the topic, was told this is essential since it's basically the last section of the proper game which Capcom chopped off to sell

Game of Thrones - not the crappy Telltale version, but the proper questy RPG version, which I really enjoyed. DLC is £4, giving a backstory quest, and now I'm wondering... I never finished the main game, despite liking it, maybe I should get this just in case I ever do? :unsure:

I hate how this whole thing has forced us to panic buy in the last 3 months before closure. A lot of people have mentioned how a lot of the games are available elsewhere, but the DLC? What if in a year's time I decide to finish Game of Thrones - can that DLC be bought and used on next gen systems? Or is it lost forever?

I recently bought an RGH modded X360, and I love it. Allows me to unlock DLC and demos and XBLIG titles, and delisted stuff, with no worries. I don't even play any of the shit, but I feel relaxed knowing it's safe. With the CMOS fiasco Sony really shit the bed, and I foresee we'll all be modding or jailbreaking our consoles and resorting to CRIMES just to play games we bought legally.

Well I say, bring on the criming! :omg:

Wonder what Sony will do for those people who don't (and won't) own a PS4 or PS5, but have a big stack of unused PSN credit on their accounts? They're not likely to refund, are they.

31 minutes ago, deKay said:

Wonder what Sony will do for those people who don't (and won't) own a PS4 or PS5, but have a big stack of unused PSN credit on their accounts? They're not likely to refund, are they.

I thought there was a cap on how much you could add and it expired after x years? Definitely no refunds.

12 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I thought there was a cap on how much you could add and it expired after x years? Definitely no refunds.

There is, but what if I added £50 a few weeks back but don’t buy anything by June? They’ll have kept my money :(

54 minutes ago, deKay said:

I am only active on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices, and do not currently own a PS4 or PS5. What will happen to any funds left in my PSN wallet after the closure of the PlayStation™Store for these devices?
Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles. If you are only active on a PS3, PS Vita or PSP device, don't use a PS4 or PS5 console, and don't plan on using one, you may request a refund of any funds left in your wallet. We recommend that if you plan to top up your wallet prior to the store closures, you only top up by the minimum amount required to buy the desired content. We will be updating this page with more details on how to request such a refund.

i've been trying to work out what i own (not psn+ stuff which is what makes it difficult) on vita/ps3, i know they'll still be downloadable, but just want to get things in order i guess. Does anyone know a good way of doing this?

so far i've had a look at the download list on the vita, but that has stuff for psn+ on there and doesn't differentiate between owned/psn+ stuff. is the list on the ps3 any better? seems like psn+ running out would be a big help with this.

The transaction list on the website seems to be missing loads of stuff so that's no good. 

best method i've found so far (although still rubbish) is searching email for mail from these addresses:

donotreply@ac.playstation.net
PlayStationNetwork@ac.playstation.net
sony@email.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

sorry i think there is a better thread for this but i can't find it.

also been looking at buying some games before the store shuts, i'd quite like persona 2, and digital versions of the persona rhythm games and the dlc, but those are expensive so probably won't bother unless there's a sale - which seems unlikely. there is a djmax psp game that i'll probably get though.

Unfortunately I think the download list on the Vita is the only way to do it.

I've been slowly working my way through it trying to catch any cross play stuff that I never downloaded to the Vita. There are games on my list that I have no recollection of buying. I'm not totally sure what Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth is but it seems I own it. Same with Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, although I've now downloaded that and am giving it a crack. It's er.... odd. There must be 8 or 10 other similarly colon laden titles on there that are not ringing any bells. I think I must have had an episode during one of the many PSN sales.

In terms of mopping up what's available, I had wanted to buy Sorcery Saga Curse of the Great Curry God before the store closed but it seems it's already been removed.

20 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Is any of the DLC for Everybody's Golf Vita worth picking up? I assume the DLC courses don't have any single player content?

Good thing you mentioned that I just discovered the Vita version also got a PlayStation 3 release in Europe and North America, but digital only!

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps3/606323-hot-shots-golf-world-invitational/images

So I'll be grabbing that if it's still available seems it has a few upgrades over the Vita version also, in Europe it was just called Everybody's Golf. When it should have been named Everybody's Golf 6.

On the PSP digital only in Europe front, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, never got a retail release over here and is getting rather pricey for a NTSC/U UMD version.

2 hours ago, David Kenny said:

Unfortunately I think the download list on the Vita is the only way to do it.

I've been slowly working my way through it trying to catch any cross play stuff that I never downloaded to the Vita. There are games on my list that I have no recollection of buying. I'm not totally sure what Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth is but it seems I own it. Same with Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines, although I've now downloaded that and am giving it a crack. It's er.... odd. There must be 8 or 10 other similarly colon laden titles on there that are not ringing any bells. I think I must have had an episode during one of the many PSN sales.

In terms of mopping up what's available, I had wanted to buy Sorcery Saga Curse of the Great Curry God before the store closed but it seems it's already been removed.

Both of those were PS+ titles. 

8 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Both of those were PS+ titles. 

That explains it. There's no way of telling from the download list.

EDIT: Lunar: Silver Star Harmony was one of the games in my download list I seem to own without knowing how! Will download that now.

• Sketch changed the title to PlayStation Network still open - All choppers are returning to Saigon